Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It appears not many people had scouting reports on him.

As a result measures can be wrong. This happened with olaffsson...his measures were wrong.

Still there will be a big asterisk on this pick and why they didn't pick Farrance.

Yeah, iirc, Olofsson was listed as 5'7" when he was actually 5'11". Teenagers grow. If not many teams are paying attention, easy to see how a handful of guys could have bad/old measurements listed.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I love the idea of having a few of these types of picks in the later rounds... you just need to hit one.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Doak, I see you piling on Mikey too. I expect the ban to be returning any time now, not sure when he purged me from his purge list.

Deleted member 27798

Complete shot in dark this pick, nobody in Finland has never heard of this guy. Hasn't even played a single game for the junior national teams.

I find this post very interesting. Let's see if he even gets any invite to Finland's WJC camp.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Really intrigued by what they saw in this guy, because there is almost no info on him online

1985siddfinch_lg.jpg

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Jeff Crisp said they have been following him for the last two years :amazed:

I just hope they know something valuable that scouting orgs don't. Seems like the scouting department were quite high on him. There must be some reason to the madness. Guess we will start finding out from development camp and onwards when people will actually pay attention to how he plays. From the 2 interviews today, I'm intrigued and not as down on the pick as I was initially.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I'll have to get in a viewing before giving first impressions. I can't add anything here or tell you what distinguishes Laaksonen at 89OA from Rasanen at 197OA. Maybe Crisp brought from Anaheim some of that Midas touch in regards to drafting defensemen? Obviously, the scouts like him, watching him for two years and working him out in Buffalo. I'm assuming he plays another year of Junior-A at this point, but who knows if there are other plans (CHL import, USHL, NCAA) than Finland.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Seems to me like we picked this kid way too early. Wasnt ranked anywhere is what I tread? If that's correct 89th is too high. Let's hope he develops into something.

The issue is we didn't have any picks between 99 and 190+. I wouldn't have minded Weissbach in the 3rd or 4th from what I read and saw from him...so I am not mad we took Laaksonen at 89 - a player they seem to be high on despite no info on scouting agencies. He was either being take at 89 or 99.

It could have been
89 - Bryson
99 - Weissbach
192 - Laaksonen

and then not so many people would be judging the picks as questionable IMO. Bryson and Laaksonen seems big wild cards and Weissbach is boom or bust but if he booms, he's like Guentzel for me which I am totally fine with. Laaksonen and Bryson are D prospects we needed and considering what run there was on D prior there wasn't much left to choose from when we got to 89. Guess these 2 are the ones that fit their philosophy even if someone can argue someone else available there could have had higher potential. I can't argue too much as none of us know anything about Laaksonen and to be honest about Bryson either. All I know about Bryson from the video available is he seems to have a rocket shot...

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The issue is we didn't have any picks between 99 and 190+. I wouldn't have minded Weissbach in the 3rd or 4th from what I read and saw from him...so I am not mad we took Laaksonen at 89 - a player they seem to be high on despite no info on scouting agencies. He was either being take at 89 or 99.

It could have been
89 - Bryson
99 - Weissbach
192 - Laaksonen

and then not so many people would be judging the picks as questionable IMO. Bryson and Laaksonen seems big wild cards and Weissbach is boom or bust but if he booms, he's like Guentzel for me which I am totally fine with. Laaksonen and Bryson are D prospects we needed and considering what run there was on D prior there wasn't much left to choose from when we got to 89. Guess these 2 are the ones that fit their philosophy even if someone can argue someone else available there could have had higher potential. I can't argue too much as none of us know anything about Laaksonen and to be honest about Bryson either. All I know about Bryson from the video available is he seems to have a rocket shot...

I would have preferred
89 - Farrance
99 - Laaksonen /Bryson
192 - whomever

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
I would have preferred
89 - Farrance
99 - Laaksonen /Bryson
192 - whomever

I wanted Farrance too. No idea why they jumped him twice when he was available. I'm bummed but it is obviously scouting department's choice and they saw the other 2 as better prospects. I can't even argue with them cause Ive seen nothing of the 2 picks we made lol

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Interesting. How much Laaksonen scouting did you bank?

Bryson too - who here has seen him play lots... I saw a video was posted with 2 full games of him but 1 is from an year ago... and I haven't watched it yet. Can't judge a player on 1 game though, even McJesus has bad games...and even players like Girgs have top quality games :laugh:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm still awaiting the journalistic icons of TBN to dig into the whys and wherefores of this pick to find out more about the kid beyond the snippet that they've had him on their radar for two years. Is it really that hard to ask? Especially if that is their job??

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Not going to knock them at all for liking a guy not on lists. And if they like him, they weren't going to wait until the 7th round and hope he's there. And late 3rd/early 4th pick on him isn't something I care about at all.

All that said, if they like him, that spot made sense to take him. Get your guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad