Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
“Fine” is not always the same for hockey players, but I am encouraged to hear that he is playing.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Any chance he's in Rochester next year? I really liked what i saw in that last WJC.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
@Ace brought up a good point elsewhere and I've noticed it a few times on the trade board: why do fans think that the guy Buffalo took a chance on in the 2017 draft at the position they took him -- and drew the usual flak from all comers for it -- and has so far been on a tremendous development curve is just going to escape the notice of we fans as inclusion in also-ran trade ideas? Buffalo seems highly unlikely to be tossing him into a deal for some pretender having seen him push into the Finn U20 team as a 2nd pairing guy and even more importantly, take on such a big role with Ilves in his D+2 season.

I get that the organization may come across as rubes, but really? Trading some mid-round pick worthy filler for a guy who while unheralded due to lack of pre-draft hype has just been excellent so far? And a mobile RHD at that? :biglaugh:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
@Ace brought up a good point elsewhere and I've noticed it a few times on the trade board: why do fans think that the guy Buffalo took a chance on in the 2017 draft at the position they took him -- and drew the usual flak from all comers for it -- and has so far been on a tremendous development curve is just going to escape the notice of we fans as inclusion in also-ran trade ideas? Buffalo seems highly unlikely to be tossing him into a deal for some pretender having seen him push into the Finn U20 team as a 2nd pairing guy and even more importantly, take on such a big role with Ilves in his D+2 season.

I get that the organization may come across as rubes, but really? Trading some mid-round pick worthy filler for a guy who while unheralded due to lack of pre-draft hype has just been excellent so far? And a mobile RHD at that? :biglaugh:

Laaksonen is literally the second thing I go to on the “things I have to remind myself Botterill did when I get angry at him” list.

1. Getting Skinner for absolute scraps even if it is in large part because he wouldn’t take a trade anywhere else.

2. Having the giant balls to take a player almost no one had heard of in round 3! and then seeing him immediately develop into a big prospect.

Then I start the list over.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Laaksonen is literally the second thing I go to on the “things I have to remind myself Botterill did when I get angry at him” list.

1. Getting Skinner for absolute scraps even if it is in large part because he wouldn’t take a trade anywhere else.

2. Having the giant balls to take a player almost no one had heard of in round 3! and then seeing him immediately develop into a big prospect.

Then I start the list over.

Do you remind yourself that it was Murray's scouts who identified him? Or that Botterill fired them after the draft...

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Teemu turned him up from what they've said - and he's still their Finnish scout.

Good point... they kept Teemu, who I believe was here before Murray... but they did fire Murray's director of european scouting (Anders Forsberg) after the draft in which it looks like they crushed the European Scouting.

I'll add that Forsberg is the guy largely credited in Ottawa with the decision to take Erik Karlsson.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Do you remind yourself that it was Murray's scouts who identified him? Or that Botterill fired them after the draft...

Finding him is one thing. A lot of teams find a lot of players. Having the sheer audacity to draft him in the 3rd round is something else. Something to be fully credited

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
When the pick happened, the talk was how their Finnish scout (Teemu Numminen) and IIRC, their European coordinator (Anton Forsberg) were advocating taking him. It's a credit to Botterill to be open to it. And it's a credit to Teemu to turn the kid up at all.

It will be nice when fans of other teams stop asking about his availability as some sort of roster throw-in too. Like... do they think Sabre fans aren't paying attention?

I'm glad he's on the ice and well after the wrist injury and the concussion. He's definitely a reason to be hopeful.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

If the 6-foot-1, 165-pound Laaksonen keeps developing, he will almost certainly come to North America to play someday.

“I’m just trying to take the next step,” he said. “I don’t know how long it’s going to take for me to take. Two years? We’ll see.”

Of course, Laaksonen knows he must “get a little bigger” and pack on more muscle. Right now, he is too light for a defenseman to play in the NHL or even the AHL.

The other step before leaving Europe, he said, is “being a dominant guy.”

“Just be ready,” he said of when he comes to North America.

That's Ryan Miller skinny....

Reactions: Chainshot

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
It's not really complaining to point out that the scouting staff for the 2017 draft had nothing to do with Botteril. It's great he listened to his scouts on a relative unknown but if we're using this pick as an example of good deeds it kind of highlights just how little there is to choose from. Botteril then went on to fire much of the European scouting staff. And those 3 European D taking in 2018 aren't looking so hot right now.

Plus Botteril himself has said many times he's not a scouting staff. Hockey GMs rarely see any players ranked outside of the 1st round play before they are drafted.

This is a reasonable post, but all this stupid back and forth is about is trying to prove some personally biased point of view. Some here are clearly just trying to dump on the GM for ANY reason. As joshjull posted, Botterill could have brought any amount of draft notes and grading with him from his time in Pitt, and used it for the draft with Buffalo. It would be silly to insist that he ONLY used whatever info he got from Buffalo scouts during the mere six weeks between his hiring and the 2017 draft. Now in Laaksonen's case, we know from their own words that it was a scout that has worked before both TM and Botterill that advocated the pick...so there's absolutely zero point to make over this draft pick. What other GM would take him 3rd rd? Who knows? Who f-ing cares??? This is why I responded in another thread to Jame that it doesn't matter who's scouts were around when one GM or the other made the picks. Unless people come out and give specifics of why someone was drafted, it's pure guesswork, and just to prove someone's own bias in a stupid, circular, petty argument.

As for the other D-men taken in 2018, they were 4th rd and later so I wouldn't expect any of them to look impressive right now, or even later on.

Reactions: Dingo44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->