Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Over on the Team Finland WJC roster talk thread, they are pretty unanimously slotting Laaksonen into the top pair. Would be great to see him light it up in Vancouver playing with Finland's best group of forwards since 2015-16.

Reactions: Chainshot

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Over on the Team Finland WJC roster talk thread, they are pretty unanimously slotting Laaksonen into the top pair. Would be great to see him light it up in Vancouver playing with Finland's best group of forwards since 2015-16.
Just imagine if Laaksonen pans out as a true top-4 for us...we'll be stacked for the Cup window. He just needs to stay overseas another year, we can't have another high quality defenseman that we have to protect somehow when we're already going to be exposing Guhle most likely.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Looking over the Finns invited D, he seems like the most productive and highest level of competition for any of their RD. Perhaps I'm biased... :D

Just imagine if Laaksonen pans out as a true top-4 for us...we'll be stacked for the Cup window. He just needs to stay overseas another year, we can't have another high quality defenseman that we have to protect somehow when we're already going to be exposing Guhle most likely.

It's not like leaving him cook in the Liiga isn't a bad thing. He's not filled out to an adult playing weight yet. I'm wondering what he'll be like at that 205-210 lbs /93-95 kg range given his height. It's an exciting thought.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
It's not like leaving him cook in the Liiga isn't a bad thing. He's not filled out to an adult playing weight yet. I'm wondering what he'll be like at that 205-210 lbs /93-95 kg range given his height. It's an exciting thought.
Oh, I fully agree. I just know we tend to get antsy around these parts when it comes to top prospects and getting them signed and into the pros over here. It's 100% not in our interest to have him in the AHL next year, not in his interest either for the reasons you mentioned. Let him dominate Liiga for another season and a half, and we can start him in Rochester in 20-21 when he'll be safe from expansion.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oh, I fully agree. I just know we tend to get antsy around these parts when it comes to top prospects and getting them signed and into the pros over here. It's 100% not in our interest to have him in the AHL next year, not in his interest either for the reasons you mentioned. Let him dominate Liiga for another season and a half, and we can start him in Rochester in 20-21 when he'll be safe from expansion.

I thought he would be safe regardless since he's not under contract. But doing what they can to keep him from being poached is fine with me. In limited online viewing, I remain impressed with the skill package. Can we hope that Teemu Numminen can turn up a few more Finns? Wouldn't mind a Salomaki-esque guy or two. Or a Rantanen - not to be greedy or anything... :biglaugh:

Reactions: Mitts888

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I thought he would be safe regardless since he's not under contract. But doing what they can to keep him from being poached is fine with me. In limited online viewing, I remain impressed with the skill package. Can we hope that Teemu Numminen can turn up a few more Finns? Wouldn't mind a Salomaki-esque guy or two. Or a Rantanen - not to be greedy or anything... :biglaugh:
You're right...I keep forgetting that expansion only threatens players who are already under contract and playing NA pro hockey this year. Anyone who starts next year and beyond is safe.

Reactions: zuikan

SpinninRodIntoArmpit

Apr 8, 2015
Oskari Laaksonen signs a two-year extension with Ilves

Well, it looks like it will be a while before he hops over the pond.

Liiga-contract is pretty much a non-issue here as per usual. That just pretty much means Laaksonen will play in Ilves if he doesn't get an NHL- or a KHL (rarely for players his age) contract. Though players that have signed ELC do quite often get loaned back to their Finnish team after training camp.

I'd say Laaksonen will play the next season in Liiga, but 20-21 is pretty much a question mark at this point.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Really impressed with his ability to move the puck in short areas successfully - getting the puck around a forechecker or spearing it out of 50-50 right to a teammate, reminds me a bit of another highly regarded Sabre defenseman. Very pleased with his stick and his mobility, imagining what he'll be like when he's fully grown and filled out and just drooling.

If this was Teemu's pick, send that man a crate of his favorite beverage.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Agreed, but just to throw in a con seen in tonight's game: Canada's forecheckers did get the better of Laaksonen three or four times when he had the puck on his stick in the d-zone and sticked or shouldered him off the puck. Too confident or lax in those situations; yes, still poised handler, but those were examples of where it got Finland a bit scrambly.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Agreed, but just to throw in a con seen in tonight's game: Canada's forecheckers did get the better of Laaksonen three or four times when he had the puck on his stick in the d-zone and sticked or shouldered him off the puck. Too confident or lax in those situations; yes, still poised handler, but those were examples of where it got Finland a bit scrambly.

Yeah, he has edges to round off. I was struck by the thought that mass will help him in some of those situations - he's such a baby giraffe that contact seem to fold him up.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, he has edges to round off. I was struck by the thought that mass will help him in some of those situations - he's such a baby giraffe that contact seem to fold him up.
Mass wouldn't hurt, but I've seen him rub plenty of checkers out while also laying the body this tourney.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

He comes over next year he is exempt from the expansion draft.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
PSiwRHQ.jpg

paulmm3

Mar 29, 2014
Scary. Very good he will only need stitches. That means probably no major arteries, veins, or nerves affected. Which means hopefully a quick and full recovery.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->