Oskar Sundqvist

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
But that's a role that he is simply never going to play.

His ability to play wing can have him in our top 6 if his offensive game continues to develop, or he could center a very good offensive third line. As the cap rises, we'll be able to add more and more winger depth.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
But that's a role that he is simply never going to play.

Why be adamant about a player you evaluate mostly from what you've read about him :)?

He has developed big time since he was drafted, that development does not have to be over just yet. I mean, now he is not just considered a strong, physical PK'ing C. He can also play wing and contribute on a PP. A defensively solid player with size who doesn't shy away from getting to the net.... Winger for Malkin?

Not saying he is ready for that at all, but it seems early writing him off with how well he has progressed.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I agree. I think it's at least possible that his offensive ceiling is higher than expected. Even if the sample size is small and it was preseason hockey... he was doing some things that suggest that he isn't just a third/fourth line talent. His overall accelerated (and somewhat unexpected) development as a player also hints that there is more there. I think that as long as he's given enough minutes and plays with the right players, here... his offensive game could continue to develop without having to send him back to Sweden.

Though there is good sense in letting him play top minutes for Skelleftea to accomplish potentially the same thing. It's not like it's some backwater league he'd be going to.

EDIT: I'm also going to agree with Aiastelmon re: Sunqvist vs. Staal, offensively. Staal does a lot of things well... but to call him offensively gifted in any way would be misrepresenting things, IMO. Sundqvist already looks like his equal in most offensive categories and probably his superior in some. Staal doesn't drive offense on his line by virtue of his puck skills or creativity.

Last edited:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Sundqvist on the wing just doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, he can play there, but his biggest strengths shine when he is playing center.

It's similar to when Malkin is playing wing. Is he a good winger? Yeah. But you aren't getting everything out of him when you have him playing as a winger.

Sundqvist has offensive skills, but I think the preseason may have given people a sense that he is more offensively polished than he really is. He has shown flashes of being gifted, but he really hasn't put it all together yet for an extended stretch (though he did have a good playoffs for Skellefteå).

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sundqvist on the wing just doesn't make much sense to me. Sure, he can play there, but his biggest strengths shine when he is playing center.

It's similar to when Malkin is playing wing. Is he a good winger? Yeah. But you aren't getting everything out of him when you have him playing as a winger.
But we have 4 centers (maybe 5) who are better than Sundqvist. If we don't have 8 wings better than him, playing him at wing makes sense.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
But we have 4 centers (maybe 5) who are better than Sundqvist. If we don't have 8 wings better than him, playing him at wing makes sense.

That is part of the reason why I think he should be back in Skellefteå this season.

But if he does stay here, I'm not sold that he would be a better winger than someone like Sutter. Or if he plays well enough to stay here the whole year you have to consider moving a center for a natural winger.

Maybe I'm just jaded from the way the old regime handled young players, but I would hate for Sundqvist to stay here the whole year and not get serious playing time. There is no way that playing another year in Sweden will hurt his development and I don't see him being that much better than the players we have right now to warrant him staying in NA.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
That is part of the reason why I think he should be back in Skellefteå this season.

But if he does stay here, I'm not sold that he would be a better winger than someone like Sutter. Or if he plays well enough to stay here the whole year you have to consider moving a center for a natural winger.

Maybe I'm just jaded from the way the old regime handled young players, but I would hate for Sundqvist to stay here the whole year and not get serious playing time. There is no way that playing another year in Sweden will hurt his development and I don't see him being that much better than the players we have right now to warrant him staying in NA.

I agree 100%, if they keep him for all or some of the year, he needs to get 3rd line minutes, and some PP time to help him develop his game. He will, by default, play with some solid players since our bottom six depth is so much improved. And getting some shifts with Geno or Crosby is fine too. Him displacing Adams in the lineup is a nice secondary benefit.

I would be fine with him going back and logging heavy minutes at Skellefteå too. Getting a cup of coffee here then going back might be the best of all worlds, just so he sees what it takes to compete here.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Well, to qualify... or add to... my previous post, I have also been saying that for a long time. That he is likely to improve more being back in SEL for another season. However, ultimately some guys bend that curve when trust into a different kind of challenge. Whether Sundqvist is like that, I don't know, but certainly in our present situation and with him looking good so far, it could be interesting to give him 9 games.

I don't think he will be a better winger than Sutter this season either, but I know that he will be a significantly inferior C. Point is though, if he stays up, it is not about what is best for him, but what is best for the team.

Well, agreed on all of that :).
Except to say that I think he has some characteristics that Malkin could use more so than many of our other players and his size makes him an asset this team could really use should he look legit in real competition. Would be a matter of letting him try to have the games he can in the NHL before making a more mature decision. If he is not sticking, definitely I would say he should go to Sweden rather than the AHL.
I never thought that would be even probably to talk about him making it prior to camp. But - no comparisons really - I never thought that about Maatta either.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I think Sundqvist getting 9 (or a handful of) games is almost an absolute certainty. The bigger question, particularly if Sundqvist plays wing when Geno returns, is if Kapanen will get the 9 games. If Kapanen does not stay, and Sundqvist does, then it's virtually certain he'll play wing.

Well, it doesn't matter, because we DO have Malkin + Crosby, and we may also extend Sutter long-term, as well. Sundqvist is a natural centre and so we've seen what he can do as a centre. But until such time as we give him a long look on RW and allow him to get comfortable on the wing, there's no telling just how good (or not) he could be. In my view, I actually think that Sundqvist could end up being a better winger than C at the NHL level, particularly if he can't improve his skating significantly.

Anyway, when you have a good player who has at least SOME versatility, you can't go too far wrong. Remember: Crosby played RW for the vast majority of his first season, and he did just fine there. A lot of young centres get put on the wing when they first enter the NHL. I'm not saying Oscar is Sidney, but if he has the higher-end upside that some think he does (including myself), he should fare very well on the wing, as long as he's getting 3rd line minutes, playing with decent players and getting some 2nd unit PP time.

I agree. I think it's at least possible that his offensive ceiling is higher than expected. Even if the sample size is small and it was preseason hockey... he was doing some things that suggest that he isn't just a third/fourth line talent. His overall accelerated (and somewhat unexpected) development as a player also hints that there is more there. I think that as long as he's given enough minutes and plays with the right players, here... his offensive game could continue to develop without having to send him back to Sweden.

Though there is good sense in letting him play top minutes for Skelleftea to accomplish potentially the same thing. It's not like it's some backwater league he'd be going to.

EDIT: I'm also going to agree with Aiastelmon re: Sunqvist vs. Staal, offensively. Staal does a lot of things well... but to call him offensively gifted in any way would be misrepresenting things, IMO. Sundqvist already looks like his equal in most offensive categories and probably his superior in some. Staal doesn't drive offense on his line by virtue of his puck skills or creativity.

I think everyone would agree that if we look at the situation today, we'd say the very best thing for Sundqvist (not the Pens) would be for him to get a number of games here (in whatever position/role), and then spend the balance of the season in Sweden, playing in a more significant role. Although, if Sundqvist is able to continue to improve at the rate he has, and look like can be a 15-20 goal guy, keeping him here would be equally good or better for his development.

With regards to the comparisons, I would put it like this: if he could be a poor-man's David Backes, that would be not only excellent for us, but also I think a fair comparison. No one would say "David Backes is a #1 C", and if he were on our team, he wouldn't even be the #2 C. But he's got great skills and such a valuable all around game, he's a guy who plays his position well and so much more. I could see Sundqvist could be that guy where he's a 3rd line C or middle 6 winger, but does so much more besides putting up very decent offensive numbers.

The Staal comparison is not quite right, IMO. But I would say that Staal himself is like a Rich Man's Martin Hanzal. I would rather have a poor man's David Backes than a poor man's Jordan Staal, and we've already pointed out several ways in which Sundqvist already looks better than Staal.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
I think he needs to stick with the club and learn through the mistakes. He's still better than a handful of "roster" players IMO and will be significantly better than them at the end of the season. Playing in the NHL now will probably make or break his NHL career. He's not a bad short term solution for our top 6 wing either.

He's an investment

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh
I think Sundqvist getting 9 (or a handful of) games is almost an absolute certainty. The bigger question, particularly if Sundqvist plays wing when Geno returns, is if Kapanen will get the 9 games. If Kapanen does not stay, and Sundqvist does, then it's virtually certain he'll play wing.

Well, it doesn't matter, because we DO have Malkin + Crosby, and we may also extend Sutter long-term, as well. Sundqvist is a natural centre and so we've seen what he can do as a centre. But until such time as we give him a long look on RW and allow him to get comfortable on the wing, there's no telling just how good (or not) he could be. In my view, I actually think that Sundqvist could end up being a better winger than C at the NHL level, particularly if he can't improve his skating significantly.

Anyway, when you have a good player who has at least SOME versatility, you can't go too far wrong. Remember: Crosby played RW for the vast majority of his first season, and he did just fine there. A lot of young centres get put on the wing when they first enter the NHL. I'm not saying Oscar is Sidney, but if he has the higher-end upside that some think he does (including myself), he should fare very well on the wing, as long as he's getting 3rd line minutes, playing with decent players and getting some 2nd unit PP time.

I think everyone would agree that if we look at the situation today, we'd say the very best thing for Sundqvist (not the Pens) would be for him to get a number of games here (in whatever position/role), and then spend the balance of the season in Sweden, playing in a more significant role. Although, if Sundqvist is able to continue to improve at the rate he has, and look like can be a 15-20 goal guy, keeping him here would be equally good or better for his development.

With regards to the comparisons, I would put it like this: if he could be a poor-man's David Backes, that would be not only excellent for us, but also I think a fair comparison. No one would say "David Backes is a #1 C", and if he were on our team, he wouldn't even be the #2 C. But he's got great skills and such a valuable all around game, he's a guy who plays his position well and so much more. I could see Sundqvist could be that guy where he's a 3rd line C or middle 6 winger, but does so much more besides putting up very decent offensive numbers.

The Staal comparison is not quite right, IMO. But I would say that Staal himself is like a Rich Man's Martin Hanzal. I would rather have a poor man's David Backes than a poor man's Jordan Staal, and we've already pointed out several ways in which Sundqvist already looks better than Staal.

I respect your opinion, but I just don't see the offensive upside that you do. I see a 3rd liner with decent puck skills at the very best.

He's also already 20. If he's not coming over this season, when is he? I think he would be fine playing 8-10 min as a 4th line center.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
regardless of everything else, sundqvist will never be a 2C on this team. the team is best served converting him to wing, but only if he shows the ability to be a top six player. which is unlikely, i think. the kid's played wing many times before. i don't think he's bad at it at all. it won't hurt him to here.

Uemoda

Formerly OminousGrey
Jun 28, 2011
Pennsylvania
www.twitter.com
I respect your opinion, but I just don't see the offensive upside that you do. I see a 3rd liner with decent puck skills at the very best.

He's also already 20. If he's not coming over this season, when is he? I think he would be fine playing 8-10 min as a 4th line center.

I think he could be more. He's definitely shown flashes.

Is he going to light the world on fire offensively? No. Can he contribute as a fifth/sixth forward? I believe he should be able to top out at that level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad