Prospect Info: Oskar Pettersson (2022, 72nd OVR)

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Without question. DeBrincat ranks top 5 in playmaking already among our best forwards last 5 years.

And if we get Giroux... we'll have enough of playmaking for everyone.
I agree with all of that, but I think there's a different context for this discussion.

We are talking about the attributes and trends about our recent draft picks, not who we currently have on the roster, or draft picks that were made several years ago. I also think the discussion is focused on picks made in the later rounds versus first round picks.

I don't have a particular opinion on this subject because I don't see enough of these prospects to comment (also think a little reading doesn't actually provide too much either), but wanted the discussion to return to the actual topic at hand.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Courtesy Draftin-Europe

Oskar Pettersson is a strong kid who plays on the edge. He’s capable of making vicious open ice hits, stapling players against the boards, and he is often involved in altercations after the whistle. Pettersson agitates opponents and hits to hurt. His knee on knee hit on Matteo Reinard late in the game in Monthey brought the home crowd out of their seats. Pettersson followed it up by roughing up the Swiss players who came to Reinhard’s aid. Oskar plays with a good complete level, finishes his checks, goes to the net and opens up space for his linemates through his physical play. He has a solid, accurate wrister which he gets off quickly. He is a force when powering down the wing at full flight. Pettersson is hard on the forecheck, putting pressure on defensemen retrieving pucks. Pettersson featured mostly as a top six winger for Sweden this year, but struggled at times to keep up with his linemates. His top end speed is good, but his pace of play in general is still developing. He makes effective slips and outlet passes and can score on the rush, but he lacks the necessary skill and playmaking ability to make plays on a regular basis in a top-six role. For a player of his stature, Pettersson is too easily beaten off the wall. Most concerningly, Pettersson was undisciplined at bad times this year. Late in the gold medal game against the United States, for example, he took an unnecessary boarding penalty (a hit from behind) which could have allowed the Americans to get back into the game.
Oskar sounds a lot like Jaarko Ruutu, Mikko's brother.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Played with Kasper. Very likely seen while scouting him.
Know nothing, like it.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Played with Kasper. Very likely seen while scouting him.
Know nothing, like it.
Well they played 12 games on the same team. Kasper played most of the season on the men's team, while Petterson played on Rogle's Jr team

Reactions: Icelevel

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
Or they believe they are the smartest people in the room, just have to look at Boucher last year and a continuing trend this year.
That was a terrible pick for sure. But all teams have misses. I'll talk about Detroit, as Yzerman is one of the best NHL execs which I trust a lot. Taking Seider at 6 was a great pick. Detroit had Stutzle ranked 1st in 2020, bad lottery luck meant they missed out, but Raymond was a good pick. On the other hand, they totally blew it with Zadina at 5. Should have gone off the board for Hughes or Bouchard, but even the best have misses.

Normally when the Sens go off the board a bit, it's a hit more often than not. Pinto is one example. Sanderson another. Batherson also. Ostapchuk in the 2nd round looks good so far. Ridley Greig at 28 looks good. When you make the safe pick, you end up with a Curtis Lazar. 90% of Sens fans wanted Zadina over Tkachuk.

We are one of the best drafting teams in the NHL. I'm happy to go on with their gambles, when so many of them pay off.

If fans were in charge of the draft, we'd probably have Zadina, Kaleiev, Drysdale, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad