Lindblom Oskar Lindblom Thread: 20-21 Masterton Trophy Winner (9/24/21 Scan - Cancer Free)

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
I asked my fiancée about it and she said if it’s in the leg they often have to amputate. A previous poster is correct, this is very serious - there is a significant chance that he will lose his life or require treatment that will end his hockey career.

But, he is a very fit young person and will have access to top-quality treatment. I am hoping for the best, for his sake and also his loved ones.
In an effort to portray this situation in an accurate manner, I have simply been giving out information.

Those other posters offered anecdotes which will make anyone upset, and rightfully so. I wish all of those posters the best in dealing with their respective grief. However, reality is ES has a survival rate of 80-90% with the 5 drug regimen I outlined earlier coupled with a 60-70% 5 year event-free survival rate. These are relatively (very) good numbers. Notice my wording- "odds are chemo will work". That is because, indeed, the odds are in Oskar's favor right now. This does NOT mean it's a guarantee. As with all forms of cancer, like you mentioned, being in better shape at baseline is good. Less comorbidities is never a bad thing and can only help your odds.

Your fiancee, though undoubtedly bright, is wrong. Amputation is only considered in "select cases" per the NCCN guidelines for refractory (read also: non-responsive or partial response to IV chemotherapy) disease in the large bones (femur, pelvis, etc). I believe Oskar was having shoulder issues. If this is the site of his disease, which is a reasonable conclusion, this is a more distal and not large bone, increasing his chances of good outcomes. Issues arise if this is not the site of his disease, meaning it has metastasized. I personally believe this is not the case as he is under the keen eye of doctors every single day.

After his chemo he will get imaging done on his lesions. If lesions still remain and local control is warranted it can easily be done with simple excision and extraction (cut em out) with or without more chemo +/- radiation.

Again, I am not downplaying the seriousness of a serious situation. I just want people to be realistically aware of logistics. Fear mongering is not what needs to happen right now, nor is blissful ignorance.

DancingPanther, PharmD (with the help of DancingPanther'sFriend, PharmD, BCOP)

Last edited:

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This is certainly very bad. Unlike lymphoma that I believe Mario had this may be surgical and as others have said, could be amputation. The cases I have seen were rib and leg. Lymphoma does very well generally. This is very serious. Very very serious. I am scared and fell so bad for Oscar. I really hope that being a pro and having much closer medial attention means this is small and localized. Cut it out and keep it going. Such a rough thing. Guy isn’t even from here to have his family and support. Sorry man

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Eventually the team has to concentrate on their professions. It is a bonding experience. Those of who witnessed the worst of the worst with the death of Pelle Lindbergh remember how the players rallied and had an amalgamated presence under Dave Poulin (especially) but others including Mr. Snider who will always go down as the best owner in the history of sport in my eyes. It is a difficult blow to the structure of the team but more so the obvious friendship and camaraderie involved. One of the great regular season experiences not only in Flyers' history but in NHL annals was that first game against Edmonton, a mishmash of emotions. There will be a rallying cry publicly for Oskar Lindblom. He will have a wonderful support staff. That is important, it always is. He needs to be reminded that he has a terrific life ahead of him. The players will play. The coaches will coach. But Oskar Lindblom will always be on their minds, except in a more spiritual and omnipotent way.

Well said

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
All love and support to our sweet boy. Will be thinking of him often.

Question for our resident medical professionals and residents: do we have any kind of studies on athletes' long-term outcomes vs the general population? There's this non-factual nugget lodged in the back of my brain suggesting that, well, since pro athletes have won a certain genetic lottery, they also fare better against certain kinds of illness. I don't want to spread any kind of urban legend or speculation. I think I'm subconsciously grasping for more hope, any kind at all.
You're not grasping at straws at all. Better baseline health = less comorbidities = high survival rates basically across all of medicine

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
All love and support to our sweet boy. Will be thinking of him often.

Question for our resident medical professionals and residents: do we have any kind of studies on athletes' long-term outcomes vs the general population? There's this non-factual nugget lodged in the back of my brain suggesting that, well, since pro athletes have won a certain genetic lottery, they also fare better against certain kinds of illness. I don't want to spread any kind of urban legend or speculation. I think I'm subconsciously grasping for more hope, any kind at all.

Yea for sure it better than if a 70 old is going through treatment. This is a little different from a lot of cancers as it could be in an extremity which would be bad of course for an athlete. I am hoping and thinking rib. Let’s say it’s not in his humerus. And there is no spread. I would think he could be back next year even. But he would also need continued follow up and screening etc.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Hopefully there is some correlation between his current health and how far along this disease is because he's been playing incredible all year and has not looked sick at all so maybe he's at like stage 1. **** CANCER!!!!

Maybe the hockey gods will take pity on us and give us Patrick back.

The young man I knew who succumbed to Ewing’s Sarcoma was an excellent athlete in excellent physical condition. Ran cross country in HS & continued running for fitness in college, where he played D-1 baseball & lifted weights all of the time. Was very fitness & nutrition obsessed. It was devastating to see his body wither.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it’s better than starting weak & out of shape. But I’m still very worried.

Reactions: TheKingPin

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Just saw this news, terrible. He will have access to the best medical care available, so that’s a positive. Hope he has a full and healthy recovery.

Reactions: Cody Webster

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
In an effort to portray this situation in an accurate manner, I have simply been giving out information.

Those other posters offered anecdotes which will make anyone upset, and rightfully so. I wish all of those posters the best in dealing with their respective grief. However, reality is ES has a survival rate of 80-90% with the 5 drug regimen I outlined earlier coupled with a 60-70% 5 year event-free survival rate. These are relatively (very) good numbers. Notice my wording- "odds are chemo will work". That is because, indeed, the odds are in Oskar's favor right now. This does NOT mean it's a guarantee. As with all forms of cancer, like you mentioned, being in better shape at baseline is good. Less comorbidities is never a bad thing and can only help your odds.

Your fiancee, though undoubtedly bright, is wrong. Amputation is only considered in "select cases" per the NCCN guidelines for refractory (read also: non-responsive or partial response to IV chemotherapy) disease in the large bones (femur, pelvis, etc). I believe Oskar was having shoulder issues. If this is the site of his disease, which is a reasonable conclusion, this is a more distal and not large bone, increasing his chances of good outcomes. Issues arise if this is not the site of his disease, meaning it has metastasized. I personally believe this is not the case as he is under the keen eye of doctors every single day.

After his chemo he will get imaging done on his lesions. If lesions still remain and local control is warranted it can easily be done with simple excision and extraction (cut em out) with or without more chemo +/- radiation.

Again, I am not downplaying the seriousness of a serious situation. I just want people to be realistically aware of logistics. Fear mongering is not what needs to happen right now, nor is blissful ignorance.

DancingPanther, PharmD (with the help of DancingPanther'sFriend, PharmD, BCOP)

Hopefully, because any injury that persists gets examined, they caught it early, though if it is already symptomatic, it's probably somewhat advanced (i.e. the tumor was large enough to cause pain and other symptoms).

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
From what I understand through research, yellow is the ribbon color for this disease.

375.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The person I knew had the Ewing Sarcoma in his back. I would imagine that is pretty much the worst place to have it. I hope Lindblom’s is in an area with a better prognosis.

Reactions: TheKingPin

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Absolutely horrendous news. Can you imagine missing practice for a maintenance day and then being told you have bone cancer?

Curb stomp that **** Oskar. **** cancer.

thats honeslty crazy. You are playing some of the best hockye of your career, you are making millions, things are finally going great...and then bam. Life kicks youi in the balls. Hopefully he kicks the cancer in the balls. Glad the flyers will provide the very best for him. Prayers for oskar.

Reactions: Young Sandwich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad