Lindblom Oskar Lindblom Thread: 20-21 Masterton Trophy Winner (9/24/21 Scan - Cancer Free)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
No, it's great news, just hoping someone can elaborate slightly on what he said. Edit: based on what b10 just posted, it looks like he didn't say much more.

Lol no I was asking Hollywood if it was bad news if that girl Lex was standing in his seat prior to the game

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
can’t say I have a good idea what that means, but it sounds pretty great!

It's obviously hard to know, but hopefully it means he is responding well to the chemotherapy. Failure to respond to neoadjuvant chemo (chemo given before local treatment (surgery or radiation)) is a very poor prognostic sign for sarcomas.

Another issue is size and location of tumor - those with axial primary tumors (ie, pelvis, rib, spine, scapula, skull, clavicle, sternum) have a worse treatment outcome than those with extremity lesions. As far as I know that information has not been released (and I wouldn't think it would be).

Older patients (in this type of cancer that means >15 years old) historically did poorer, but recent studies have indicted this is no longer true (likely related to using different treatment in adults vs kids before, but now get the same).

One thing to remember in regards to his being ready to play next season, the treatment for this is quite long. While there are different regimens, the standard treatment is 7 cycles of chemotherapy given every 3 weeks (can also be done every 2 weeks), followed by surgery (if not feasible - ie disease in location or large enough that surgery would disrupt the function of an organ or be too destructive for a limb (amputation used to be quite common for sarcomas - see Terry Fox, although that was a different type) then radiation is the local treatment, followed by 7 further cycles of chemotherapy.

All in all treatment alone can take up to a year, especially if it is radiation over surgery. And there is absolutely no way that Oskar could keep himself remotely ready for professional hockey while undergoing this. Even with the best possible support team which I am sure he has, this takes quite a toll on the body. Most chemotherapy regimens, which are milder than used in sarcoma, take patients easily half a year to feel back to normal and often their baseline afterwards is weaker. A common saying is chemotherapy will automatically age you 10 years. Obviously for a typical cancer patient who is older, this can be a big deal. Oskar has the advantage of personal trainers/dieticians/etc so he does have better chances of returning to the level he was at before diagnosis. But I would be surprised if he is ready anytime this calendar year. I would expect at the earliest would be a year from now. But in these cases I am happy when I am wrong and expectations are exceeded.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
It's obviously hard to know, but hopefully it means he is responding well to the chemotherapy. Failure to respond to neoadjuvant chemo (chemo given before local treatment (surgery or radiation)) is a very poor prognostic sign for sarcomas.

Another issue is size and location of tumor - those with axial primary tumors (ie, pelvis, rib, spine, scapula, skull, clavicle, sternum) have a worse treatment outcome than those with extremity lesions. As far as I know that information has not been released (and I wouldn't think it would be).

Older patients (in this type of cancer that means >15 years old) historically did poorer, but recent studies have indicted this is no longer true (likely related to using different treatment in adults vs kids before, but now get the same).

One thing to remember in regards to his being ready to play next season, the treatment for this is quite long. While there are different regimens, the standard treatment is 7 cycles of chemotherapy given every 3 weeks (can also be done every 2 weeks), followed by surgery (if not feasible - ie disease in location or large enough that surgery would disrupt the function of an organ or be too destructive for a limb (amputation used to be quite common for sarcomas - see Terry Fox, although that was a different type) then radiation is the local treatment, followed by 7 further cycles of chemotherapy.

All in all treatment alone can take up to a year, especially if it is radiation over surgery. And there is absolutely no way that Oskar could keep himself remotely ready for professional hockey while undergoing this. Even with the best possible support team which I am sure he has, this takes quite a toll on the body. Most chemotherapy regimens, which are milder than used in sarcoma, take patients easily half a year to feel back to normal and often their baseline afterwards is weaker. A common saying is chemotherapy will automatically age you 10 years. Obviously for a typical cancer patient who is older, this can be a big deal. Oskar has the advantage of personal trainers/dieticians/etc so he does have better chances of returning to the level he was at before diagnosis. But I would be surprised if he is ready anytime this calendar year. I would expect at the earliest would be a year from now. But in these cases I am happy when I am wrong and expectations are exceeded.
Thanks for the info. I was thinking if the primary was in the rib it would be better given the respectability. Didn’t know it was associated with a worse prognosis. I wonder how much that has to do with later presentation which I don’t think was the case with Oskar.

Reactions: Larry44

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Herzlick was diagnosed in May 2009, and declared cancer free in September 2009, came back and played football in fall of 2010.
That's probably the best case scenario, but I suspect highly trained athletes have a big advantage with dealing with chemo.
He played a year of college afterward, and 7 seasons in the NFL.
Mark Herzlich - Wikipedia

So you'd have to expect even in the best case, Lindblom won't be available until 2021-22.
Not sure how he'd be treated for the ED. If he was on LTIR would he have to be protected?

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Thanks for the info. I was thinking if the primary was in the rib it would be better given the respectability. Didn’t know it was associated with a worse prognosis. I wonder how much that has to do with later presentation which I don’t think was the case with Oskar.

I am not quite sure. It may have to do with location on the rib in regards to getting a good resection, ie if near spine. I am not familiar with the specifics regarding surgery as ES is not something I deal with as it is typically occurs in the pediatric population, and since it is so rare in adults there are only a select few that treat the adult population.

I would imagine they caught it early as well, though sometimes tumors can get quite large before it causes symptoms. Of course for someone training as hard as he does, it likely would have caused problems at an earlier stage. That being said I have seen a different type of sarcoma that was almost 20cm in size in a femur when it started causing symptoms in a young person going through military boot camp. But that is not a typical case.

Herzlick was diagnosed in May 2009, and declared cancer free in September 2009, came back and played football in fall of 2010.
That's probably the best case scenario, but I suspect highly trained athletes have a big advantage with dealing with chemo.

So you'd have to expect even in the best case, Lindblom won't be available until 2021-22.
Not sure how he'd be treated for the ED. If he was on LTIR would he have to be protected?

Typically the younger more fit patients tolerate chemo better, but it is really an individualized thing. It can sometimes hit patients hard, even ones you expect to sail through. And the regimens used for this type are quite intensive. Undoubtedly he has the best supportive care at his fingertips to help with symptoms.

I would like to think in the NHL, which is such an old boys club, that if he is eligible for the expansion draft they could leave him unprotected with an agreement he won't be taken after all he has been through. I also wonder if Seattle would have reservations about taking him anyways, as there is always a risk of relapse.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I would like to think in the NHL, which is such an old boys club, that if he is eligible for the expansion draft they could leave him unprotected with an agreement he won't be taken after all he has been through. I also wonder if Seattle would have reservations about taking him anyways, as there is always a risk of relapse.

Yeah, since he was treated in Philadelphia, you'd think common sense would say he should stay here for a year or two so his doctors can monitor and look for any sign of a relapse.

EasyMac

Jul 8, 2004
Yeah, since he was treated in Philadelphia, you'd think common sense would say he should stay here for a year or two so his doctors can monitor and look for any sign of a relapse.
Well, as every trade deadline reminds us, common sense is often lacking in some GM's

Reactions: kudymen

AdamParrot

Mar 10, 2015
giphy.webp

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Boys, I've just had a vision. Flyers' first home game of this year's Stanley Cup Final and Oskar is the choice to drop the puck for the ceremonial face-off. Standing ovation, five full minutes, national television covers it all, not a dry eye to be found, and the tide finally turns. Believe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad