Value of: Oshie's next contract

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Does Oshie re-sign in Washington?

What does he earn on the free market, and which teams are interested?

My guess is he will command ~$7-7.5m if he heads to free agency. Vegas would probably offer $8-8.5.

Paradise*

Individual thinker
Jun 9, 2010
Waiverpeg

My guess is he will command ~$7-7.5m if he heads to free agency. Vegas would probably offer $8-8.5.

Way too much for Oshie. He probably gets between 5-6mil (depending on term). Similar deal to Ladd/Okposo/Eriksson IMO.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Oshie has never scored 30 goals and has never scored more than 60 pts

Nothing about him is worth more than $6.0 per

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
He's somewhere between Eriksson and Okposo

Thankfully Islanders blew their load on Ladd

Caps should do their best to keep him, fits the team like a glove

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He should be around 5.5. Anything more would be a mistake signing. Ideally, he should be closer to 5.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
It seems to me that the Caps have been fully expecting that Oshie's new contract will price him off the team. They've been grooming the likes of Kuznetsov, Burakovsky and Vrana as part of a clear plan to take over when their veteran free agents (Oshie, Williams) move on this summer. With Kuznetsov's second-contract raise this summer, there's no cap room.

I suppose there is a slim possibility they will tender a discount contract, and that he accepts, but I'd expect him to go for $5M+ somewhere else. Decent term too. Real solid player. No complaints from this Caps fan. He's just too expensive as a UFA.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

What sort of comparable is he going to use to get anything close to 6.5-7m+??

He has 10 goals and 15 pts in 23 games. If he keeps up this pace he'll score 35.6 goals and finish the season with ~50-55 points. The goals alone (if he his 30+) will probably give him at least 5m, maybe even 5.5m, but there's no way that he has enough to the rest of his game to earn another 1-2m AAV on top of that. At least not how this season is going.

Maybe he signs for 6m, but even that might be a reach.

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Oshie is one of my favorite players would love him on Pitt. With Kunitz and fleury leaving we could pay him 5.5 no problem. Put him on Malkins wing and get HBK back together

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
This is a perfect example of why players have too much power nowadays. Oshie does not deserve $6m.

Players are massively overpaid compared to their production and what they bring to the team.

Although undeserving will get a strong increase of around $6.5 - $7m per year.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
What sort of comparable is he going to use to get anything close to 6.5-7m+??

He has 10 goals and 15 pts in 23 games. If he keeps up this pace he'll score 35.6 goals and finish the season with ~50-55 points. The goals alone (if he his 30+) will probably give him at least 5m, maybe even 5.5m, but there's no way that he has enough to the rest of his game to earn another 1-2m AAV on top of that. At least not how this season is going.

Maybe he signs for 6m, but even that might be a reach.

The Caps worst stretch this season came when Oshie was out of the lineup with an injury. The team's game pickup in all areas when he returned. Btw, he plays in all situations. 1pp, pk, 5 on 5, 4 on 4, 3 on 3, last minute behind, and last minute ahead.
He is also among the handful of best shootout shooters in the league.

There is more game there than just goals. But I also think he recognizes that his numbers are up because of his role in this team. So, we will see

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Something in the $6 mil range for 5-6 years is my guess. The Caps will be tight next year. Not sure Oshie will fit.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
This is a perfect example of why players have too much power nowadays. Oshie does not deserve $6m.

Players are massively overpaid compared to their production and what they bring to the team.

Although undeserving will get a strong increase of around $6.5 - $7m per year.

How is he underserving? He was 42nd in the league in goal scoring during an era where scoring goals is increasingly difficult. He followed that by producing as well in the playoffs as John Tavares and by scoring as many playoff goals as Crosby and Malkin in half the games.

This season he is tied for 38th in goals even after missing 7 games with an injury. That results in him ranking 26th in goals per game. Are you sure he is not deserving?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Looking at what wingers have grabbed the past few off-seasons, 6 or 7 years at $6M seems like a reasonable guess as to what he would garner in free agency.

I'd be uncomfortable giving Oshie that contract as a Capitals fan, both for term and cap hit. I would much prefer 4-5 years at $5M, but I don't find that particularly likely to happen. Depending on how the Alzner and Kuznetsov contracts play out, I may be willing to flex on either term or cap hit, but it would be a lesser concern at the moment than making sure Alzner and Kuznetsov sign team friendly deals.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
He's a poor mans Okposo, and Okposo only got 6 per. I would say something like 5.5 over 6 years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad