Oshie Vs Toews

Status
Not open for further replies.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
This is a question for those who have been watching UND hockey. Who is the better NHL prospect? Toews is projected as a top 5 pick in 2006, but I'm hearing that Oshie has looked better. Thanks.

Transported Upstater

I am definitely a Toews fan; I am very impressed with what he has done in his career to date, especially captaining Canada to gold at the U-18's. I see him as a Top 5 pick in 2006.

However, I do not know much about Oshie, and thus cannot make an intelligent comparison to "Tayves."

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I don't know much about Oshie, but he wasn't even slated as a first rounder when he was picked and now his potential and I did say potential, not the player he is now, is being compared to a kid some say might go #1 in a top heavy draft?

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't know much about Oshie, but he wasn't even slated as a first rounder when he was picked and now his potential and I did say potential, not the player he is now, is being compared to a kid some say might go #1 in a top heavy draft?
He might not have been projected as a first rounder but both Edmonton and St. Louis had him fairly high on their draft lists. It appears that Kevin Lowe was going to draft Oshie with Edmonton's first round pick last year but St. Louis ended up selecting him just before they could. It's turning out to be a great thing because the Oilers got "stuck" with Andrew Cogliano... :D

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Leachmeister2000 said:

Well, St. Louis and Edmonton (to name just two teams) had Oshie slated as a first rounder, and he was drafted middle-of-the pack so it's not ridiculous to compare him to Toews. Toews probably has more pure talent and is obviously bigger not to mention younger, but Oshie is no slouch when it comes to skill and is an extremely hard worker and very gritty.

slimer

Jul 8, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Well, St. Louis and Edmonton (to name just two teams) had Oshie slated as a first rounder, and he was drafted middle-of-the pack so it's not ridiculous to compare him to Toews. Toews probably has more pure talent and is obviously bigger not to mention younger, but Oshie is no slouch when it comes to skill and is an extremely hard worker and very gritty.

Have you been watching UND games?

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
slimer said:
So from what you seen at UND, you think Toews is a better NHL prospect?

I think he has to be considered a better "prospect" based merely on his age. He's right there with Oshie scoring-wise and he's over a year younger. That doesn't mean he'll be the better pro, but that won't be determined for quite some time. Put it this way, hypothetically, the Oilers felt Oshie was a better prospect than Cogliano at the time of the draft, so at least one organization felt he was the superior prospect.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
From what I've seen, Oshie has looked better so far (plays a similar game to Zach Parise), but Toews definately has way more NHL potential. Oshie goes absolute balls-out every shift and has some really nice skills - mega props to St. Louis for landing him. His size could be an issue though. Toews should be a senior in high school this year but is playing college hockey (generally regarded as more advanced than the CHL) against players that are up to 6 years older than him. He's putting up 7 pts in 10 games - that's pretty darn impressive. The guy has the potential to dominate.

Either way, both are gonna be real good players. :handclap:

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
Not to mention that Toews could have at least 6 or 7 more points if him or his linemates finished some chances. Toews has hit numerous posts and crossbars it's unreal. He is a very very good player. Its tough to compare the two because they work so well together on a line together.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
crosby_87 said:
Not to mention that Toews could have at least 6 or 7 more points if him or his linemates finished some chances. Toews has hit numerous posts and crossbars it's unreal. He is a very very good player. Its tough to compare the two because they work so well together on a line together.

Ive seen OShie set up toews with a few open nets also with toews not being able to finnish.

crosby_87

Jun 22, 2005
topshelf331 said:
Ive seen OShie set up toews with a few open nets also with toews not being able to finnish.
Notice that I said he has hit the crossbar and posts numerous times too, i'm not saying its all Oshie who hasn't been finishing. But those two are just awesome to watch...when that line is on the ice I stand up in my living room.

heygarebear

Blues
Feb 28, 2002
STL - Nashville
since it looks like the Blues are going to get atleast the second pick in the 06' draft.. The future looks bright.. We definately could see a Oshie - Toews/Kessel line in the future. That would be pretty exciting.

topshelf331

May 8, 2003
Stl
Visit site
crosby_87 said:
Notice that I said he has hit the crossbar and posts numerous times too, i'm not saying its all Oshie who hasn't been finishing. But those two are just awesome to watch...when that line is on the ice I stand up in my living room.

Sorry I misread your statement.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Hendo2k said:
not even close in my mind

Toewz e a s i l y

btw watching the UND game right now liking what i see :clap:

Easily? That would denote a mammoth chasm when it comes to talent disparity and it's not there. I'd favor Toews, but let's not get carried away with ourselves here.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
BleedBlue44 said:
since it looks like the Blues are going to get atleast the second pick in the 06' draft.. The future looks bright.. We definately could see a Oshie - Toews/Kessel line in the future. That would be pretty exciting.

Good for St. Louis.

They so weak organizationally that it is great they will get a chance to remedy that pretty quickly with some great talent. Blues fans should be very encouraged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad