Oshawa Generals 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Good thing the Gens have their coaches locked up with 4 teams in the OHL seeking new coaches now. Some of these guys might have been candidates elsewhere!
For sure.

If I had to guess who gets signed, I'd go with: Calum Ritchie, Kevin Niedenz, Jake Richard, Matt Buckley, Nikita Parfenyuk, Blake Smith, Patrick Leaver. And potentially Andrew Whitton

zaluty

May 30, 2007
Kingston
Good thing the Gens have their coaches locked up with 4 teams in the OHL seeking new coaches now. Some of these guys might have been candidates elsewhere!

True to a certain point but if one of the assistants had a chance for a head coaching job I am sure they would be allowed to.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
True to a certain point but if one of the assistants had a chance for a head coaching job I am sure they would be allowed to.

I don't imagine they would have signed if there was a hint of an opportunity.

I don't know, but don't think that there has ever been an OHL assistant coach sign, and then 3/4 weeks later leave for a head coaching job.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
They just announced the home exhibition schedule, all at the TCC. If you're a season ticket holder, you get 1 free game of tickets (however many seats you have) then for the other 2 games you can buy them for $12 each.
-Sunday, September 5 vs. Hamilton Bulldogs: 6:05pm
-Friday, September 17 vs. Niagara Ice Dogs: 7:35pm
-Friday, October 1 vs. Windsor Spitfires: 7:35pm

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
1st rounder Kevin Niedenz officially coming over, per his German team

Neuigkeiten zum Haie-Kader | Kölner Haie

German to English translation:
"In this year's draft of the Canadian Junior League CHL, two young sharks were selected. With Kevin Niedenz (Oshawa Generals) and Leo Hafenrichter (Guelph Storm), two Cologne players will compete in the Ontario Hockey League for the new season."

Reactions: Whatanathol

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens luck out big time as Tullio played pro overseas instead of the AHL so he’s coming back for sure next season. But these guys all are allowed to play in the AHL next year instead of the O now

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
My updated Gens depth chart based on who's signed:

F Lines:
?-Harrison-Tullio
Niedenz-?-Fowler(OA)
McKinney-Gagnier-Buckley
Way-Michaud-?
Others: Ritchie, Richard, Castle, Whitton

D Pairings:
Jesus-Brewer(OA)
Moore-?
?-Pitt
Others: Parfenyuk, Smith, Marelli

G:
Paputsakis(OA)
Sbrocca
Others: Leaver

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
My updated Gens depth chart based on who's signed:

F Lines:
?-Harrison-Tullio
Niedenz-?-Fowler(OA)
McKinney-Gagnier-Buckley
Way-Michaud-?
Others: Ritchie, Richard, Castle, Whitton

D Pairings:
Jesus-Brewer(OA)
Moore-?
?-Pitt
Others: Parfenyuk, Smith, Marelli

G:
Paputsakis(OA)
Sbrocca
Others: Leaver

Laszlo on that third d pair left side

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I hope Jake Richard gets signed soon. What's the news, if any, on Christian Kocsis who was a seventh round selection in 2020 out of Detroit? Thought he was picked as a 'dark hose ' choice as he was a highly doubtful player to sign but was talented. A scorer! Status update...anyone?

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
To add to the confusion, what's going on with Castle? Not signed, not traded... yet. What's the story?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I hope Jake Richard gets signed soon. What's the news, if any, on Christian Kocsis who was a seventh round selection in 2020 out of Detroit? Thought he was picked as a 'dark hose ' choice as he was a highly doubtful player to sign but was talented. A scorer! Status update...anyone?

Was going to come to Gens camp last year before deciding between OHL/USHL but then I OHL was canned and he signed with USHL and played sparingly there. So not sure his status going forward. Would be very surprised if he’s at Gens camp, but wouldn’t be shocked if he ended up signing here.

Castle I’ve heard it’s because you have to get into an ohl training camp to claim him defected and get the comp pick. Not sure if you can even still get a comp pick 2 years later but we’re in an unprecedented time so we’ll see I guess.

I know for a fact Richard was going to sign last year but then no season. Haven’t heard an update since then but hopefully ncaa teams haven’t gotten into his ear

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Nice to see the Gens are still spending a lot of money to make the team better off the ice. They go and hire basically 3 OHL head coaches, that couldn’t have been cheap. Then go get the new strength coach. And now they hire Ashlea Jones as a skating coach and Josh Wrobel as a skills coach.

I started following Wrobel because he does a lot of stuff with Ritchie and he works with a ton of other top end OHL/AHL/NHL guys. Good signings for the Gens

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Generalsupdates... in your second last response...last sentence, you said you knew Richard was going to sign last year... did you mean Richard or Koscic? Also, why does Astle not want to sign with the Gens? Strange!

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Generalsupdates... in your second last response...last sentence, you said you knew Richard was going to sign last year... did you mean Richard or Koscic? Also, why does Astle not want to sign with the Gens? Strange!
I mean Richard. He was going to sign but then the season didn't happen.

Kocsis was going to come to Gens camp but they didn't know if he'd end up picking OHL or USHL.

The reports are that Castle did want to sign in Oshawa but he's part 2 of the Tomasino trade though so it's not his choice.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
There is no mention of Oshawa's 1st going to Niagara in any trade summary! Gentleman's agreement? Losing the season this past year means the Gens really overpaid and should be compensated for losing Tomasino for the year. Or get the comp pick! If there is a trade when will that transpire...getting late!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
The trade can't happen until after training camp opens if they are still to get a compensatory pick from the league for the defection. If that's even allowed still. I thought there were also going to be picks going back to Gens in this part II trade?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is no mention of Oshawa's 1st going to Niagara in any trade summary! Gentleman's agreement? Losing the season this past year means the Gens really overpaid and should be compensated for losing Tomasino for the year. Or get the comp pick! If there is a trade when will that transpire...getting late!

the Gens should not be compensated for the overpay for Tomasino. The Gens should have had conditions attached similar to the deal Saginaw made for Suzuki.

If there was indeed some sketchy gentlemen’s agreement to bend the defect rule as part of the speculated Gens/Ice Dogs part III, it will be obvious to the league; and, the league could very well investigate.

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
The trade can't happen until after training camp opens if they are still to get a compensatory pick from the league for the defection. If that's even allowed still. I thought there were also going to be picks going back to Gens in this part II trade?
Yeah picks would be going back to the Gens. In a normal year they’d get the comp pick on top of that. Not sure how it shakes out now having missed a full year

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
the Gens should not be compensated for the overpay for Tomasino. The Gens should have had conditions attached similar to the deal Saginaw made for Suzuki.

If there was indeed some sketchy gentlemen’s agreement to bend the defect rule as part of the speculated Gens/Ice Dogs part III, it will be obvious to the league; and, the league could very well investigate.

first of all, by “overpay of Tomasino”, you mean not having to give up Brett Harrison in a trade..? They gave extra picks as a placeholder (which they’ll be getting back) so they could trade their 2020 first rounder (Castle) instead so they could keep Harrison because they loved him. Sure it didn’t end up working out because of a global pandemic but I don’t think you can blame an OHL GM for not seeing a global tragedy coming lol… Most Team Canada WJ players go for around 1st rounder, 3 2nds, 3rds for half a season of them. Tomasino was for 1.5 years so his price would be just over that and that's what the final deal will end up once Castle goes to NIA for picks. And the Gens managed to keep Brett Harrison in that. Barring a global pandemic that we've never seen before, I'm super happy with that trade lol, especially considering Tomasio for sure would've been one of the top players in the CHL and the Gens had a 50% chance to host the Memorial Cup .

And secondly, the leagues not going to investigate anything. A deal like this happened not too long ago with Bracco going to WSR, then Logan Stanley going the other way to KIT the following off-season for less than he would’ve gone for if it wasn’t a 2 part trade

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->