Oshawa Generals 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I feel like I consistently expect nothing from OHL refs yet still am shocked sometimes. The whole McShane (first) goal review was bizarre. They don't see anything that can overturn it for 6+ minutes but then somehow in the 7th minute they find a definitive view? Very strange. Then how is there no penalty shot on the MacLean breakaway where Samuelsson is called for slashing and forced MacLean to lose the puck into the corner for no shot, yet no penalty shot. Then the Gens finally get some momentum and make it 2-1 with about 10 minutes still left and the ref forces Paputsakis to play the puck even though he clearly didn't want to, and results in a turnover and Sudbury scores to put it away 5 seconds later. Just brutal all night.

Weren't going to win scoring 1 goal anyways though. Gens and Wolves are pretty even. A 7 game series based on how these 2 are currently constructed would surely be going 6 or 7 games.

But even more shocking than OHL reffing is that someone was actually willing to drop the gloves with Daniel Walker. Not sure what Emmett Serensits was thinking, but my god did he ever get pummelled

Daniel Walker vs. Macauley Carson, January 16, 2019 - North Bay Battalion vs. Sudbury Wolves

Houndzfan20

Oct 31, 2017
I’m very confused by what the Soo are doing. 3 games this week and start the OA goalie every game. They’re a playoff team but do they really think they can compete without Hayton? If so I think that’s a mistake. If they don’t think that, why’re you taking all your starts away from a young goalie who you’re going to need to be ready next year when your roster will probably actually be ready to win? Short term gain with Brkin but they’re screwing themselves longterm and their ceiling this year is what, maybe win 1 round and even that is very far from a sure thing. Does 1 round of playoff money (and the 5-8 seed so max 3 home games) really mean that much? I don’t get it

I would think bringing in Brkin is the same as what the wolves did with Culina. Keep the kid playing, maybe deal him to a team that needs a good goalie at the deadline for a decent pick. Malik comes, go with a goalie from the 2019 draft as a back up. If not, we run with Brkin the rest of year. Win/win.

Regardless of what happens, from what I've seen the last two years, taylor would have a hard time as the starter. Just my opinion.

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Soo looked good last night. Like that Pap got the second start so now we can see what we got.
Our offence is holding their sticks too tightly lately so the shots are hitting the goalie or missing the net. When you have a high power offence and it goes silent you need to loosen up a bit to get it back. Reset and on to next week.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Not sure what happens here but Nathan Torchia is playing for KIT today

Gens traded him to OS for a conditional 7th, with the condition being if he plays an OHL game. He never did for OS and then they released him but KIT picked him up and he’s now playing an OHL game. So wonder if that means OS has to give the Gens a 7th because the conditions technically have been met. It never said which team he had to play for

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Panthers fan asking about Noel's up and down season so far?
Thought this would be his most dominant year but the team offense doesn't look as good or is his effort level not there?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Panthers fan asking about Noel's up and down season so far?
Thought this would be his most dominant year but the team offense doesn't look as good or is his effort level not there?

He’s been very inconsistent. Doesn’t dominate the play nearly as often as last year. Apparently he suffered a lower body injury in FLA camp that he has been playing through and you can see it. Although the last 5/6 games he has been dominant more often, including in the 2 OHL vs Russia games

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

member 71782

Not sure what happens here but Nathan Torchia is playing for KIT today

Gens traded him to OS for a conditional 7th, with the condition being if he plays an OHL game. He never did for OS and then they released him but KIT picked him up and he’s now playing an OHL game. So wonder if that means OS has to give the Gens a 7th because the conditions technically have been met. It never said which team he had to play for

There's some issues surrounding the picks involved in that trade.

Bench Talk / Off The Wire The Floating Fourth Rounder

All of which brings us to the story of " The Floating Fourth Rounder "......try to follow along.
Let's start by going back to August 10th, 2018.
Thinking they needed goaltending depth, the Owen Sound Attack acquired Nathan Torchia, the son of former Kitchener Ranger great Mike Torchia, from the Oshawa Generals in exchange for a " conditional " 7th round draft pick in 2020 that previously belonged to the North Bay Battalion.
The " condition " was that if Nathan Torchia was with the Attack by a certain date, probably January of 2019, then that 7th round pick from North Bay would be elevated and would become Owen Sound's 4th round pick in 2020.
Nathan Tochia was the back up for Mack Guzda on Opening Night at Barrie and never set foot in the Attack crease during a 9-2 slaughter at the hands of the Colts.
The Attack, believing that Andrew MacLean was a better fit as a netminding partner for Guzda, promptly released Torchia long before the upgraded conditional aspect of the pick would kick in for Oshawa.
Are you with me ?
Two months later on November 28th, Oshawa acquired overage Anthony Salinitri from the Sarnia Sting in exchange for three draft picks INCLUDING Owen Sound's 4th in 2020.
No one; not the Attack, not the Generals, not the Sting nor the OHL, caught the transaction which appears to have Oshawa peddling a pick they didn't actually have possession of.
It gets nuttier......
On the OHL Trade Deadline, January 10th, Sarnia acquired Anthony Tabak from the Sudbury Wolves in exchange for a package that included, you guessed it, Owen Sound's 4th in 2020.
Somewhere, somebody clued in that Owen Sound's 4th round pick in 2020 had been dealt twice by teams that technically didn't have the rights to that pick as the Attack view it.
So now, unless something has been revised or altered, Sudbury has possession of a draft pick that isn't theirs, a pick they received from Sarnia who also didn't rightfully have possession, a pick the Sting got from Oshawa who really didn't have the right to peddle it in the first place and the Attack sit screaming for a return of their 4th rounder next year, or for some form of compensation to make up for the miscue.
What a mess !!

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Maybe by Torchia playing all this time later it has somehow satisfied the conditions of the original trade and all us again well in OHL draft pick land.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
There's some issues surrounding the picks involved in that trade.

Bench Talk / Off The Wire The Floating Fourth Rounder

All of which brings us to the story of " The Floating Fourth Rounder "......try to follow along.
Let's start by going back to August 10th, 2018.
Thinking they needed goaltending depth, the Owen Sound Attack acquired Nathan Torchia, the son of former Kitchener Ranger great Mike Torchia, from the Oshawa Generals in exchange for a " conditional " 7th round draft pick in 2020 that previously belonged to the North Bay Battalion.
The " condition " was that if Nathan Torchia was with the Attack by a certain date, probably January of 2019, then that 7th round pick from North Bay would be elevated and would become Owen Sound's 4th round pick in 2020.
Nathan Tochia was the back up for Mack Guzda on Opening Night at Barrie and never set foot in the Attack crease during a 9-2 slaughter at the hands of the Colts.
The Attack, believing that Andrew MacLean was a better fit as a netminding partner for Guzda, promptly released Torchia long before the upgraded conditional aspect of the pick would kick in for Oshawa.
Are you with me ?
Two months later on November 28th, Oshawa acquired overage Anthony Salinitri from the Sarnia Sting in exchange for three draft picks INCLUDING Owen Sound's 4th in 2020.
No one; not the Attack, not the Generals, not the Sting nor the OHL, caught the transaction which appears to have Oshawa peddling a pick they didn't actually have possession of.
It gets nuttier......
On the OHL Trade Deadline, January 10th, Sarnia acquired Anthony Tabak from the Sudbury Wolves in exchange for a package that included, you guessed it, Owen Sound's 4th in 2020.
Somewhere, somebody clued in that Owen Sound's 4th round pick in 2020 had been dealt twice by teams that technically didn't have the rights to that pick as the Attack view it.
So now, unless something has been revised or altered, Sudbury has possession of a draft pick that isn't theirs, a pick they received from Sarnia who also didn't rightfully have possession, a pick the Sting got from Oshawa who really didn't have the right to peddle it in the first place and the Attack sit screaming for a return of their 4th rounder next year, or for some form of compensation to make up for the miscue.
What a mess !!

Perhaps then the condition was not "if Nathan Torchia was with the Attack by a certain date, probably January of 2019" but the condition was actually an earlier date, in which he was on their roster. That seems like the only thing that makes sense and why the Gens would have that pick to trade it for Salinitri, no?

member 71782

Perhaps then the condition was not "if Nathan Torchia was with the Attack by a certain date, probably January of 2019" but the condition was actually an earlier date, in which he was on their roster. That seems like the only thing that makes sense and why the Gens would have that pick to trade it for Salinitri, no?

I'm thinking there had to have been some other condition but as the article says, OS isn't happy about the upgraded pick being traded so that raises the questions of whether or not it was supposed to be upgraded.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens will be on Sportsnet 3 times this regular season which is the most in the CHL

-Sunday, Nov 24 vs Sudbury (2pm)
-Saturday, Jan 25 vs Kingston (2pm)
-Saturday, Feb 22 @ Hamilton (4pm)

The full list:

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Gens have the most points in the OHL from rookies

Suni: 18
Harrison: 9
McKinney: 4
Gagnier: 2
Michaud: 2
Jesus :2

I would exclude imports has rookies being a year older than 2003. To me true rookies are 2003, so McTavish, Wright, Pinelli, Stillman, etc are true picture of rookies, imo.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I would exclude imports has rookies being a year older than 2003. To me true rookies are 2003, so McTavish, Wright, Pinelli, Stillman, etc are true picture of rookies, imo.

That’s not how being a rookie works

Like you said “true rookies” are ‘03s. Rookies are ‘02s or ‘03s. Those are the people eligible to win OHL rookie of the year

Reactions: HockeyPops

Chipmunk

Sep 20, 2019
Can I assume he can be reactivated to the roster should one of the other OA's not be available? Can we not carry 4 OA's until Jan 9th? If so what is the benefit to the Gens or Cole to make him inactive at this time.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Can I assume he can be reactivated to the roster should one of the other OA's not be available? Can we not carry 4 OA's until Jan 9th? If so what is the benefit to the Gens or Cole to make him inactive at this time.

I would assume that's the case. Same thing goes with Riley Pitt or Danyk Drouin, who neither are on the roster right now but could be added at any time as they're owned by the Gens

Whatanathol

Jul 27, 2018
Oshawa
Given Walker's decent play of late, can you see Gens trading for an OA or are they set with #13, #15 and Big Dubya?

Resnick played above everyone's expectations last year in the playoffs and scored some big goals, especially against Nia. Can they reactivate him for post season or do they have to declare 3 OAs in jan?

Gens 5
NB 3

GWG Tully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad