Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
The series will come down to the exact same as the last one. The Gens PP. Niagara had the best PK of any playoff team going into the 2nd round and the Gens PP went 8/20 (40%) against it in the final 4 games. But don't tell the people who say this is Kyle Keyser and that's it ;)

Ottawa also has the worst PK of the final 4 remaining teams, and half of their playoff games to get there came against Sudbury, who had the worst PP in the entire OHL this season. That's where the Gens need to win if they're going to take this series

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
The series will come down to the exact same as the last one. The Gens PP. Niagara had the best PK of any playoff team going into the 2nd round and the Gens PP went 8/20 (40%) against it in the final 4 games. But don't tell the people who say this is Kyle Keyser and that's it ;)

Ottawa also has the worst PK of the final 4 remaining teams, and half of their playoff games to get there came against Sudbury, who had the worst PP in the entire OHL this season. That's where the Gens need to win if they're going to take this series
Agreed Ottawa needs to stay out of the box to take this. Hopefully the two Clark(e)'s don't take too many stupid penalties.

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
The fate of the last 4 teams who swept rounds 1 and 2 are below. Barrie was the only team to pull through, but even they were pushed to game 7. If the Gens can win 1 game, it will be interesting to see how the 67’s respond to their first bit of adversity.

Barrie in 2013 (won gm 7 vs Belleville)
Gens in 2014 (Swept by North Bay)
Greyhounds in 2015 (couldn’t cover McDavid, lost 4-2 )
Petes in 2017 (swept by the Steelheads)

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens need to take at least one game in OTT this weekend. Can't afford to go down 0-2 like they did vs NIA. Ottawa has a real coach and you won't be able to just make adjustments and beat them 4 straight at will once you come home

three dog night

May 3, 2014

Oshawa power play was eight for twenty seven against the Dogs.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens just completely ran out of gas in the 3rd. Ottawa very fortunate to play a very weak Sudbury team and you could see it in their legs tonight as they were fresh all game as they never really had to work in round 2. Gens coming off a very tough series vs NIA and in the 3rd they just had nothing left.
Ottawa also used their 4th line about twice the entire game, so could rarely go to the Blacker-Resnick-Bollers line, which was very good in the NIA series.

DiPietro looks nothing like the goalie in Windsor, which is big going forward because if he was playing anywhere close to the WSR DiPietro, I don't see how this team could be beaten

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
They had that game. I know Ottawa is the better team but you can’t let a game like that slip away. They could have popped two other goals earlier in the game as well.

Just frustrating watching it collapse so fast.

Hope they forget it and come out hard Saturday.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Regardless of the outcome, Oshawa has a few things to work on. Tonight they seemed to give up a lot more odd man rushes compared to versus Niagara. Another is gaining possesion during the PK and clearing the puck to allow time for line changes.

Great job offensively tonight but need to work on the points above, along with staying out of the penalty box. Keyser overall had another strong outing and kept the Gens in the game.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Regardless of the outcome, Oshawa has a few things to work on. Tonight they seemed to give up a lot more odd man rushes compared to versus Niagara. Another is gaining possesion during the PK and clearing the puck to allow time for line changes.

Great job offensively tonight but need to work on the points above, along with staying out of the penalty box. Keyser overall had another strong outing and kept the Gens in the game.

If it were as easy as just gaining possession on the PK at will, they'd probably do that lol. I don't think Salinitri/Neumann/Ennis/Mattinen getting stuck on for all 2 minutes of the PK was what they planned on happening

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Gens just completely ran out of gas in the 3rd. Ottawa very fortunate to play a very weak Sudbury team and you could see it in their legs tonight as they were fresh all game as they never really had to work in round 2. Gens coming off a very tough series vs NIA and in the 3rd they just had nothing left.
Ottawa also used their 4th line about twice the entire game, so could rarely go to the Blacker-Resnick-Bollers line, which was very good in the NIA series.

DiPietro looks nothing like the goalie in Windsor, which is big going forward because if he was playing anywhere close to the WSR DiPietro, I don't see how this team could be beaten

It’s just going to keep getting more and more difficult. A quick 36 hour turnaround for the next game and then again in Oshawa the following night. This is where I said Ottawa had a huge advantage. They got to sleep in their own beds and practise hard for 7 days while Oshawa had a quick turnaround and back in the hotels for three nights in Ottawa on the road.

Ottawa also has invested heavily in athletic performance. They are all in top shape. Tourigny has brought in a real NHL style athletic and health program they all follow. I don’t think there is a team out there that can outperform Ottawa in the endurance category. It’s a real professional environment for that.

The thing we saw tonight was Keyser cannot win this series by himself. HE can give his team a great chance of winning but the rest of the team needs to contribute. Ottawa will take advantage of mistakes. As you mentioned, this is not a team with a clown for a coach. Ottawa will always adjust and they have the talent to execute.

Oshawa needs to play more disciplined and do all those things Walters touched on in the post game newsie. Otherwise Ottawa will win this series quickly. Oshawa is a strong team and they are capable of winning this series but the mistakes need to be kept to ZERO and they certainly need more than 20 shots.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
It’s just going to keep getting more and more difficult. A quick 36 hour turnaround for the next game and then again in Oshawa the following night. This is where I said Ottawa had a huge advantage. They got to sleep in their own beds and practise hard for 7 days while Oshawa had a quick turnaround and back in the hotels for three nights in Ottawa on the road.

Ottawa also has invested heavily in athletic performance. They are all in top shape. Tourigny has brought in a real NHL style athletic and health program they all follow. I don’t think there is a team out there that can outperform Ottawa in the endurance category. It’s a real professional environment for that.

The thing we saw tonight was Keyser cannot win this series by himself. HE can give his team a great chance of winning but the rest of the team needs to contribute. Ottawa will take advantage of mistakes. As you mentioned, this is not a team with a clown for a coach. Ottawa will always adjust and they have the talent to execute.

Oshawa needs to play more disciplined and do all those things Walters touched on in the post game newsie. Otherwise Ottawa will win this series quickly. Oshawa is a strong team and they are capable of winning this series but the mistakes need to be kept to ZERO and they certainly need more than 20 shots.

I don't think anyone (who knows anything about hockey that is) thought that any goalie can win a series by himself against the best team in the league. But the Gens are considerably better at making the most of their chances than any team who's not in the playoffs anymore. Usually comes on the PP and on the cycle, which was the case tonight. When the Gens got on the cycle, they absolutely dominated Ottawa down low and that led directly to multiple goals, also got a PPG. But there wasn't enough zone time for that to happen more often tonight, which Walters also alluded to in his presser.

I will say, Niagara dominated the Gens a lot more in games 1/2 of that series than Ottawa did tonight, and the Gens were still able to re-group, make adjustments and then dominate them the rest of the way, so the series is far from over.

If we're being honest based on the quick turnaround for the Gens and Ottawa being well rested and waiting for them, I expected Ottawa to come out flying tonight and win big, but that wasn't the case.

Reactions: Whatanathol

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think anyone (who knows anything about hockey that is) thought that any goalie can win a series by himself against the best team in the league. But the Gens are considerably better at making the most of their chances than any team who's not in the playoffs anymore. Usually comes on the PP and on the cycle, which was the case tonight. When the Gens got on the cycle, they absolutely dominated Ottawa down low and that led directly to multiple goals, also got a PPG. But there wasn't enough zone time for that to happen more often tonight, which Walters also alluded to in his presser.

I will say, Niagara dominated the Gens a lot more in games 1/2 of that series than Ottawa did tonight, and the Gens were still able to re-group, make adjustments and then dominate them the rest of the way, so the series is far from over

As you alluded to, When Oshawa made the adjustments, Niagara simply kept on keeping on and did absolutely nothing.

In the post game newsie, Tourigny said it best, “They are going to make adjustments and get better. We are going to make adjustments and get better.”

Keyser will give the Gens a good chance to win but the rest of the team has to do as I said and that is not make so many mistakes and stay out of the box.

Once Oshawa gets on the cycle, they do well. That is true but it is also true for many teams. The problem is it isn’t easy to get that cycle started against Ottawa because of their talented defence.

Teams are starting to realize you have to put the body on the 67’s to have a chance. It isn’t about knocking them around and getting them off their game, it is about simply slowing them down. Get them out of rhythm. It is really hard to do as most teams have discovered.

Sudbury was a strong team. They finished one point ahead of Oshawa. They didn’t get there because they were weak. OShawa had a great 2nd half and I said they clearly won the deadline trading. Ottawa had 106 points and pretty much mailed it in the 2nd half of the season. They aren’t mailing it in now. Oshawa got two weak goals on DiPietro and made it a game. They need to do a lot more than that. They are MORE than capable of doing that, that is for damned sure.

I am ecstatic the Gens beat Niagara. I really like what they did at the deadline. I really like a lot of the players. They are a great team to watch. A lot of classy players. Walters was a great hire. Love Keyser. Oshawa is set up more for the future and Ottawa is set up for this year. It shows.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
....Oshawa is set up more for the future and Ottawa is set up for this year. It shows.

For sure. The Gens likely would've been classified as a successful year even if they lost in round 2 to NIA. Once they beat Niagara? My god this year is a HUGE success. Anything from here on out is a bonus. The fact they're (although underdogs) still in the same league as Ottawa in an ECF final, wow Roger Hunt

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
If it were as easy as just gaining possession on the PK at will, they'd probably do that lol. I don't think Salinitri/Neumann/Ennis/Mattinen getting stuck on for all 2 minutes of the PK was what they planned on happening
I understand that. I'm not saying it's simple to gain possession while short handed. However, it is still reasonable to expect a team to find a way to gain possession and dump a puck down the ice or get a stick in the way to knock it down ice isn't it? This is fairy common for any PK. Usually a team's fans cheer every time the puck is cleared.

Being short handed 5 on 4 doesn't make a team totally handicapped. They've shown they're capable of clearing pucks on PKs before, and I'm saying the Gens need to it back on track for future games.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
For sure. The Gens likely would've been classified as a successful year even if they lost in round 2 to NIA. Once they beat Niagara? My god this year is a HUGE success. Anything from here on out is a bonus. The fact they're (although underdogs) still in the same league as Ottawa in an ECF final, wow Roger Hunt

100% agreed. I think you may be slightly underestimating their potential post deadline. I thought the team was better 2 minutes after the deadline than it was the week before the deadline. The team was missing something. IT was flat and guys like Noel weren’t playing to potential. The team should have been better.

Adding Neumann, Saigeon, and Mattinen was huge and great value. The team got the spark it needed. Like I said earlier, in my trade deadline winners and losers post, I had Oshawa as having the best deadline. I took some heat on that but I was pretty firm because I felt they took advantage of Niagara while also taking advantage of the relatively low acquisition costs for OA’s. Ottawa did the same except we didn’t sell a 19 year old.

Ptbomillsy619

Dec 17, 2017
This series is far from over lots of great points made and Ottawa may have mailed it in second half but until this series they haven’t had competition. They will ha e a huge push back game two IMO think they will crack dipietro is off his game if he doesn’t find it Ottawa is in trouble. The bad penalties late will be accounted for before next game and gens will be very disciplined 67’s are very deep but gens can play with them on every line and I think are stronger at the bottom when those lines get used more which they’ll have to the whole game will change this will be the best series of the ohl playoffs

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
This series is far from over lots of great points made and Ottawa may have mailed it in second half but until this series they haven’t had competition. They will ha e a huge push back game two IMO think they will crack dipietro is off his game if he doesn’t find it Ottawa is in trouble. The bad penalties late will be accounted for before next game and gens will be very disciplined 67’s are very deep but gens can play with them on every line and I think are stronger at the bottom when those lines get used more which they’ll have to the whole game will change this will be the best series of the ohl playoffs
Should Dipietro crack we have a very capable backup in Andree. He had pretty good numbers and was right there amongst the top goalies all regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->