Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
A couple of ?'s there is another rumor out there that could effect the Generals ,Niagara rumour and that is London and Niagara are in on Suzuki, so if the Niagara deal is a go for Suzuki that will crush the trade rumour with Niagara as I'm sure Moore as well as Tomasino would be include going back to Owen Sound .
and another ? if the Oshawa, Niagara trade goes thru as said what happens to our 3rd OA spot does Ceci fills that spot or it's Keyser and Hughes and look to fill that OA spot but if and a BIG IF Keyser were to get traded that would mean it would be Ceci & Hughes. Thoughts :popcorn:

Reactions: three dog night

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Salinitri trade combines with the Commisso trade though.

Commisso to Guelph for 2nd in ‘24, 2nd in ‘23 and 5th in ‘21

Got Salinitri for 2nd in ‘19, 2nd in ‘22 and 4th in ‘22

So switched a next year 2nd which they wouldn’t have had room to use for a ‘24 2nd they can still use as a trade and everything else basically washes out. Commission with 1 goal in 28 games for Guelph. Salinitri with 11 goals in 12 games in Oshawa. And at the end of the day all it cost was dropping from the 4th round to the 5th round

I understand what you're saying but the combo is mostly a coincidence. Trading Commisso at the start of the year wasn't so they could get Salinitri. It conveniently becomes an upgrade at little to no cost but what was the strategy? At some point, the wind changed directions.

gensfan2k2

Dec 3, 2014
Have to move Keyser now. I would package him with something. Then play ceci as oa the rest of year hope to drop down enough to get one of the Don mills players in draft. I hope the big Defenceman. Then next year you need a goalie for at least one if not two years and then the Gens are right back up to the top of the standings.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Gens fans I have an honest question for you. Didn’t the Gens sell off Cirelli, Vandesompel, etc a few years back to put them in a championship position a few years later? Well here we are and they’re selling again. Did I miss something or did they miss they’re targeted window?

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
I understand what you're saying but the combo is mostly a coincidence. Trading Commisso at the start of the year wasn't so they could get Salinitri. It conveniently becomes an upgrade at little to no cost but what was the strategy? At some point, the wind changed directions.

I think they traded Commisso because Walters didn’t see him as a guy who he could get to contribute so they moved him to upgrade on f, which they did in getting Salinitri

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Have to move Keyser now. I would package him with something. Then play ceci as oa the rest of year hope to drop down enough to get one of the Don mills players in draft. I hope the big Defenceman. Then next year you need a goalie for at least one if not two years and then the Gens are right back up to the top of the standings.

I personally wouldn’t. The goalie market is virtually non existent so you’d be getting not nearly enough back for Keyser. I’d rather win games down the stretch and win a playoff series. Gens already have a ton of picks, and they’re about to get more in the Studnicka deal. I think there’s a lot of value in a playoff series win this year

And the big Don Mills Dman (Schmidt) is ncaa. If he wasn’t, he’d go top 5 probably

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gens fans I have an honest question for you. Didn’t the Gens sell off Cirelli, Vandesompel, etc a few years back to put them in a championship position a few years later? Well here we are and they’re selling again. Did I miss something or did they miss they’re targeted window?

For Vande Sompel they got high picks that mostly haven’t been used yet (one was used to draft rookie Dylan Robinson) and Cirelli was McShane, who’s still here next year and other high picks that haven’t been used yet. As Sudbury fans know really well, sometimes you expect to be great but it doesn’t happen and you have to adjust on the fly and be more realistic and say this isn’t our year

Another thing that is in play here is the OHL hosting the Mem cup in 2021 and Oshawa thinking they can win the bid after losing the 2017 one

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
A couple of ?'s there is another rumor out there that could effect the Generals ,Niagara rumour and that is London and Niagara are in on Suzuki, so if the Niagara deal is a go for Suzuki that will crush the trade rumour with Niagara as I'm sure Moore as well as Tomasino would be include going back to Owen Sound .
and another ? if the Oshawa, Niagara trade goes thru as said what happens to our 3rd OA spot does Ceci fills that spot or it's Keyser and Hughes and look to fill that OA spot but if and a BIG IF Keyser were to get traded that would mean it would be Ceci & Hughes. Thoughts :popcorn:

Boston reporter tweeted last night that Studnicka to niagara was confirmed

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
One thing about the Gens management, unlike some they’re not afraid to sell off while keeping their eyes on the big prize. We’ll see what happens but they have a recent Memorial cup which is a monumental achievement so it’s hard to argue they don’t know what they’re doing,
More teams should adopt that policy. They’re still going to get into the playoffs I would think and be in a position to stack up down the road. Must be a bit disappointing though given many had the Gens pegged as front runners.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
One thing about the Gens management, unlike some they’re not afraid to sell off while keeping their eyes on the big prize. We’ll see what happens but they have a recent Memorial cup which is a monumental achievement so it’s hard to argue they don’t know what they’re doing,
More teams should adopt that policy. They’re still going to get into the playoffs I would think and be in a position to stack up down the road. Must be a bit disappointing though given many had the Gens pegged as front runners.

The OHL has such a variety of what teams are after. Most people would think that winning is all anyone cares about but I’d say there are only like 5 teams who having winning as #1 priority. Most are about making money (obviously they’d like to win while they do so) but yeah it’s rare to see a team willing to give away a playoff round and the money that comes with that for a future run, but the gens have shown they just want to win and this isn’t the year they think they can. Which for a fan is awesome. It would suck to know they’re keeping studnicka this year even though they know they can’t win just so Tullio gets his wallet padded a bit Thankfully he just wants to win and build a legacy

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
The OHL has such a variety of what teams are after. Most people would think that winning is all anyone cares about but I’d say there are only like 5 teams who having winning as #1 priority. Most are about making money (obviously they’d like to win while they do so) but yeah it’s rare to see a team willing to give away a playoff round and the money that comes with that for a future run, but the gens have shown they just want to win and this isn’t the year they think they can. Which for a fan is awesome. It would suck to know they’re keeping studnicka this year even though they know they can’t win just so Tullio gets his wallet padded a bit Thankfully he just wants to win and build a legacy
Right, the Wolves should definitely have dealt Capobianco the year our teams met up in the playoffs. Apparently he was dating the owner’s daughter so one wonders.

Last edited:

Nerf27

Oct 15, 2012
Again, why Salinitri this year? Yes the cost was the same as Commisso but what was the point? Next year is the target and he will not be around!
I think Gens updates explained it best but it’s like in getting Smoskowitz as an OA but not much else. It helped the team score and be competitive down the stretch into the playoffs. Gained experience for the run to come. It’s not a waste for guys to learn from his play. Would you not agree he has been one of our better players and a leader out there. That’s value right there

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Just to clear up some confusion out there.
The trade freeze applying to players participating in the World Juniors is lifted as soon as that player's team is eliminated from that tournament.
Studnicka, Frost, Hayton, Suzuki, et al are all eligible to be moved. RIGHT NOW.
#OHL
So if Oshawa/Niagara trade is true it can be announced anytime

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Sakic19 mentioned drafting a '01 goalie in the Euro draft, Samuel Hlavaj just made the move to the USHL from Slovakia after a pretty decent World Juniors. He's a 6'4 2001 born goalie

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I probably sound like a broken record at this point but tonight to me is case and point why you keep Keyser, even after moving Studnicka. Bad goaltending will give your players no confidence because even though they played pretty well (outplayed NB for most of the night) they lose. If I'm Roger Hunt, someone would have to blow my doors off with an offer for me to move Keyser (Guzda+high picks for example)

Reactions: Nerf27

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
I probably sound like a broken record at this point but tonight to me is case and point why you keep Keyser, even after moving Studnicka. Bad goaltending will give your players no confidence because even though they played pretty well (outplayed NB for most of the night) they lose. If I'm Roger Hunt, someone would have to blow my doors off with an offer for me to move Keyser (Guzda+high picks for example)
How about Guzda, Suzuki and a 2nd for Keyser and Antripov?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
How about Guzda, Suzuki and a 2nd for Keyser and Antripov?

That trade wouldn't make any sense. If you're giving away Keyser, you've given up on this year and are 100% about the future. But if you're getting Suzuki then you're all in now

There's not many people I would trade Antropov for. He's really starting to come into his own as a late bday guy eligible for the upcoming NHL draft

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
For Vande Sompel they got high picks that mostly haven’t been used yet (one was used to draft rookie Dylan Robinson) and Cirelli was McShane, who’s still here next year and other high picks that haven’t been used yet. As Sudbury fans know really well, sometimes you expect to be great but it doesn’t happen and you have to adjust on the fly and be more realistic and say this isn’t our year

Another thing that is in play here is the OHL hosting the Mem cup in 2021 and Oshawa thinking they can win the bid after losing the 2017 one
Thanks

OS Fan

Oct 7, 2018
That trade wouldn't make any sense. If you're giving away Keyser, you've given up on this year and are 100% about the future. But if you're getting Suzuki then you're all in now

There's not many people I would trade Antropov for. He's really starting to come into his own as a late bday guy eligible for the upcoming NHL draft
I know... pretty messed up huh?? That's where my heads at today..... lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad