Oshawa Generals 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Game was reffed poorly all around for both sides . When is it not in the O . If they called everything the game would be ridiculously long , anyways good win for you guys , see you in Sudbury in a couple weeks

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Game was reffed poorly all around for both sides . When is it not in the O . If they called everything the game would be ridiculously long , anyways good win for you guys , see you in Sudbury in a couple weeks

Interesting you say that because I really don't think it was. It was a big conference game so the refs reffed it like a playoff game and let a lot of the small stuff go and called just the blatant stuff. Ideally that's how it's called most games if you ask me

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Interesting you say that because I really don't think it was. It was a big conference game so the refs reffed it like a playoff game and let a lot of the small stuff go and called just the blatant stuff. Ideally that's how it's called most games if you ask me
I’ve definitely seen much worse reffing. No they weren’t a huge factor but true to form they messed up a few calls both ways.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I’ve definitely seen much worse reffing. No they weren’t a huge factor but true to form they messed up a few calls both ways.

Yeah that's fair. Impossible to be perfect, especially with non-NHL refs. Just be consistent which I felt for the most part they were today and you shouldn't have too many gripes from most fans

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
What do you think of the remaining schedule between the two teams. It would seem yours could be considered tougher than ours?

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
What do you think of the remaining schedule between the two teams. It would seem yours could be considered tougher than ours?

SBY has: SSM, OSHx2, NIA, OS, HAMx3, NB, PBO, BARx2

OSH has: OTTx2, SSM, SAG, SBYx2, MISS, NB, KGNx2

So for Sudbury that's 4 games against teams under .500 and 3 for the Gens.

6 games for OSH against a top 7 team. Only 4 for Sudbury

Niagara has the easiest schedule of all and it's not close. 1 game left against a top 7 team and 8 games against teams under .500. They should win the division fairly easily I'd think

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
SBY has: SSM, OSHx2, NIA, OS, HAMx3, NB, PBO, BARx2

OSH has: OTTx2, SSM, SAG, SBYx2, MISS, NB, KGNx2

So for Sudbury that's 4 games against teams under .500 and 3 for the Gens.

6 games for OSH against a top 7 team. Only 4 for Sudbury

Niagara has the easiest schedule of all and it's not close. 1 game left against a top 7 team and 8 games against teams under .500. They should win the division fairly easily I'd think
See we can agree on something :) I posted something similar on our board. Obviously our two head to head games may well come into play but I agree Niagara is looking like a lock for the division.
Missy is looking like a lock for fifth and they’ve been playing some good hockey. I think that makes third all the more attractive.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
See we can agree on something :) I posted something similar on our board. Obviously our two head to head games may well come into play but I agree Niagara is looking like a lock for the division.
Missy is looking like a lock for fifth and they’ve been playing some good hockey. I think that makes third all the more attractive.

Maybe my opinion will change after our game Friday night, but I would be very okay with getting Missy in round 1, they don't scare me at all. Their defence is extremely thin behind Harley and Ingham is so streaky that I think the Gens offence would exploit them. Also the travel would be nice

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Maybe my opinion will change after our game Friday night, but I would be very okay with getting Missy in round 1, they don't scare me at all. Their defence is extremely thin behind Harley and Ingham is so streaky that I think the Gens offence would exploit them. Also the travel would be nice
Ya, I don’t know they’ve been a tough out, at least in their barn for the Wolves and they’ve got a goalie who can sometimes at least make a difference. I agree though, there’s no way they should beat us, especially with home ice. I guess no matter who you face, they’re not going to roll over for you. It’s just the Petes seem to be unravelling more all the time and that leaves North Bay (who definitely don’t scare me) and Hamilton, who frankly I don’t know much about.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Ya, I don’t know they’ve been a tough out, at least in their barn for the Wolves and they’ve got a goalie who can sometimes at least make a difference. I agree though, there’s no way they should beat us, especially with home ice. I guess no matter who you face, they’re not going to roll over for you. It’s just the Petes seem to be unravelling more all the time and that leaves North Bay (who definitely don’t scare me) and Hamilton, who frankly I don’t know much about.

I still think the Petes are the only team who can upset someone in the top 4. They look horrendous right now but they have as many NHL drafted players as anyone (8) and have a goalie who is capable of stealing you game(s) and an offence that should be pretty good based on the players they have (Merkley, SDA, Robertson, Gallant, Kirk, Timleck, Paquette, Chisholm all should be high end OHL offensive players). If you put that exact same team in Gens jerseys, they're probably fighting for 3rd or 4th in the conference, but something about that Petes jersey just makes players fall apart in the 2nd half.....

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
We hear a lot about Schell and Sbrocca because their leagues do a much better job of publicizing stats, but Zach Paputsakis (5th rounder in '17) is 10-1-0 this year with a .934 save % in his US prep league. He was my favourite goalie in camp and would be my early favourite to be the Gens backup next year. He's a huge '01 (6'4), with a late November birthday

Attachments

• Pap.jpg
    Pap.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: OshawaFan2018

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
We hear a lot about Schell and Sbrocca because their leagues do a much better job of publicizing stats, but Zach Paputsakis (5th rounder in '17) is 10-1-0 this year with a .934 save % in his US prep league. He was my favourite goalie in camp and would be my early favourite to be the Gens backup next year. He's a huge '01 (6'4), with a late November birthday

Prep school has developed quite a few OHL goalies over the years Kai Edmonds - Barrie Colts Cedrick Andrée - Ottawa 67’s Jeremy Brodeur - Oshawa Generals maybe Paputsakis will be another one to make this transition

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Prep school has developed quite a few OHL goalies over the years Kai Edmonds - Barrie Colts Cedrick Andrée - Ottawa 67’s Jeremy Brodeur - Oshawa Generals maybe Paputsakis will be another one to make this transition

Let's hope! Paputsakis was in CCHL2 last year and absolutely dominated so I'm glad he found a league with better competition this year. I'm excited to see him in August

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Congrats on the current streak. I said a few months back the Generals were missing something and needed some sort of reboot. I loved the Generals trade deadline moves. They are clearly paying off. Well done.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Apparently Gens goalie prospect Alex Aslanidis is having a huge year in the US prep league. He's 6'5, 220 as an 18 year old (just turned 18) but is committed to Providence for 2 years from now. Gotta think Hunt is going to be contacting his parents/his agent trying to get him to come

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
Apparently Gens goalie prospect Alex Aslanidis is having a huge year in the US prep league. He's 6'5, 220 as an 18 year old (just turned 18) but is committed to Providence for 2 years from now. Gotta think Hunt is going to be contacting his parents/his agent trying to get him to come

Being an American born player I would suspect that it will be difficult to convince player & parents to forego 4 years at top end NCAA program.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Being an American born player I would suspect that it will be difficult to convince player & parents to forego 4 years at top end NCAA program.

They did that with Brodeur, who played in the same US prep league that Aslanidis is in now and gens took him late in the draft because people think he wouldn’t come OHL. Never know. The opportunity to be a starter for multiple years of what will likely be a really good team, even mah e a memorial cup team in 2 years would be a pretty good draw

three dog night

May 3, 2014
Another shutout for Cal Schell tonight (26 saves). I really need to get down to Hamilton and see this kid
Hamilton in town Friday night to play the Falcons at the old Jack wonder I’d Schell will start I believe their last visit they went with the other goal tender big game Hamilton looking to clinch the season series Falcons going for the split.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Hamilton in town Friday night to play the Falcons at the old Jack wonder I’d Schell will start I believe their last visit they went with the other goal tender big game Hamilton looking to clinch the season series Falcons going for the split.

Probably not. It's Hamilton's last game of the season and it doesn't mean anything for them, they're already locked into 3rd no matter what. So it'll probably be Constantini

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Hey Updates et al don’t know if I’m missing something.but I was thinking, is there really that much difference in finishing fourth versus third in the conference if the first round unravels the way we anticipate it will? For example if the top four seeds win their series, it would leave first to play fourth and second to play third in the second round with each of the top two seeds getting home ice. Considering this scenario isn’t the only way the Wolves could play the Gens is in the Conference finals?
However as I type this I’m thinking either team would likely want to put off a second round matchup against the 67’s so maybe that’s the appeal. Thoughts.

GensBrandon

Dec 19, 2015
Hey Updates et al don’t know if I’m missing something.but I was thinking, is there really that much difference in finishing fourth versus third in the conference if the first round unravels the way we anticipate it will? For example if the top four seeds win their series, it would leave first to play fourth and second to play third in the second round with each of the top two seeds getting home ice. Considering this scenario isn’t the only way the Wolves could play the Gens is in the Conference finals?
However as I type this I’m thinking either team would likely want to put off a second round matchup against the 67’s so maybe that’s the appeal. Thoughts.

No, if Sudbury is to win the Central Division, and the Generals were to remain in 3rd ahead of Niagara, the Gens would play the Wolves in the 2nd round of the playoffs, and Niagara would play Ottawa.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017

Yeah like brandon said, if you can win the division it helps a lot. But assuming Niagara does, 3/4 doesn’t really matter to me. id assume Sudbury would care more about 3rd than the gens would though because you’ve handled NIA since the deadline. I don’t think the Gens would want NIA as much because I assume there’d be a little intimidation there as we gave them 2 of our best players at the deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->