Movies: Oscars revamping, adding "Achievement in Popular Film" category

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I actually don't particularly like Mad Max, and I find it incredibly overrated as a movie, but it's at least undeniably an impressive feat in aesthetics, vision, and visual choreography that I can see being somewhat deserving of critical accolades, which is more than I can say about the never-ending stream of Marvel movies that always feel like bland, opportunistic, and formulaic commercial diversions **** out of a factory. The latter are the last things that should be getting best picture nominations.

What an entertainment landscape that we live in when the way for movies, TV shows and music to raise the bar is to go back 30 years to borrow from the 1980s, present it as if it's new and reap the accolades.

Seriously, maybe this is why there are two camps when it comes to Fury Road. If you use the original Mad Max films as your frame of reference and compare it to them, you may not be impressed. If you've been eating up modern Marvel films and starting to get a little weary of their formulaic-ness and overdone CGI, however, Fury Road may seem very impressive and fresh. I've definitely been in the former camp, but I wouldn't mind switching. Maybe, just before re-watching it, whenever that is, I should binge watch a bunch of recent superhero CGI-fests. That may give myself a better chance of appreciating it than I did the first time around, when I was holding it up against the originals, instead. Unfortunately, I don't think that this trick could ever work with The Last Jedi, though.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I do not understand the appeal of Fury Road. It's a great action film, but it lacked any story. Also, Max wasn't even the main character in his story. It was all about Furiosa and her group looking for a home. Many movies had that troupe, yet Mad Maz stood above all of them?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
They are making the category solely for the Black Panthers, Avengers and Mission Impossibles of the movie world. Those types will never win a best picture award.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I imagine that this award will go to the producers of the winning film, such as is the case with Best Picture. That would mean that Tom Cruise would receive an Oscar if Mission Impossible: Fallout wins. What a world...

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I imagine that this award will go to the producers of the winning film, such as is the case with Best Picture. That would mean that Tom Cruise would receive an Oscar if Mission Impossible: Fallout wins. What a world...

Is it wrong that I think he should recieve a lifetime achievement award for those movies, like when Return of the King won best picture when it was really awarding the entire trilogy. The work he's done on the MI films, let alone his age, has been pretty amazing.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Is it wrong that I think he should recieve a lifetime achievement award for those movies, like when Return of the King won best picture when it was really awarding the entire trilogy. The work he's done on the MI films, let alone his age, has been pretty amazing.

I just joked about what a world this is when Tom Cruise wins an Oscar, but then I reminded myself that Sylvester Stallone, Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson have all won Oscars, when, at one point, you might've died laughing at the suggestion. I'm still waiting for Arnold Schwarzenegger's Oscar to arrive. Surely, the Academy could invent an award for him or give him a Lifetime Achievement one. I'd be less opposed to that than I am to this "Popular Film" award.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I do not understand the appeal of Fury Road. It's a great action film, but it lacked any story. Also, Max wasn't even the main character in his story. It was all about Furiosa and her group looking for a home. Many movies had that troupe, yet Mad Maz stood above all of them?

For me personally it was a visually stunning movie. From the cars, costumes, makeup and action sequences. The acting was great and I enjoyed the limited dialogue in the film as it allowed you to absorb more of the emotion from the characters. As for the film being more focused on Furiosa. I think it was implied in the title Mad Max : Fury Road which to me says its part of the Mad Max world but it a story is about Furiousa's (Fury) road to some form of redemption from being a soldier of Imortan Joe to ultimately brining some form of hope to the wasteland.

out of curiosity what other movies of that year had the same trope?

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Yeah, it's much better to complain online about other people complaining about things.
See, this guy gets it. The Oscars are meaningless. Only Oscars that matter are Oscar the Grouch and Oscar Kokoshka. No cap.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
For me personally it was a visually stunning movie. From the cars, costumes, makeup and action sequences. The acting was great and I enjoyed the limited dialogue in the film as it allowed you to absorb more of the emotion from the characters. As for the film being more focused on Furiosa. I think it was implied in the title Mad Max : Fury Road which to me says its part of the Mad Max world but it a story is about Furiousa's (Fury) road to some form of redemption from being a soldier of Imortan Joe to ultimately brining some form of hope to the wasteland.

out of curiosity what other movies of that year had the same trope?

I'm not thinking about that same year but in terms of the same troupe, the more I was thinking about was Waterworld.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I'm not thinking about that same year but in terms of the same troupe, the more I was thinking about was Waterworld.

Troupe or a trope? Im getting confused. So in a troupe do you mean they are all survivors in a wasteland and you can just group them as a troupe and not as individuals? Or do you mean a trope as in the film is wrote roughly around the same sort of theme?

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Troupe or a trope? Im getting confused. So in a troupe do you mean they are all survivors in a wasteland and you can just group them as a troupe and not as individuals? Or do you mean a trope as in the film is wrote roughly around the same sort of theme?

I guess Trope. I'm sorry I can't spell.

Last edited:

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
I guess Troupe. I'm sorry I can't spell.

I could agree that Waterworld could be a comparable as it is in a dystopian type world but for me that would be as far as I could compare the two. Fury Road was on a whole different level in regards to many technical aspects (cinematography, stunt scenes, acting, sound/music, costume etc).

that being said it isn't a film for everyone and the story as a whole wasn't overwhelming so I understand the criticism it receives.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I could agree that Waterworld could be a comparable as it is in a dystopian type world but for me that would be as far as I could compare the two. Fury Road was on a whole different level in regards to many technical aspects (cinematography, stunt scenes, acting, sound/music, costume etc).

that being said it isn't a film for everyone and the story as a whole wasn't overwhelming so I understand the criticism it receives.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I loved the action in that movie, and this was one of the best roles I've seen Theron in. Still, I saw this universal praise and saying it's one of the best action movies ever and I didn't really understand it when I saw the movie, and I actually saw the movie in a theater and then one night on HBO. I had the same reaction both times.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Yeah. Don't get me wrong, I loved the action in that movie, and this was one of the best roles I've seen Theron in. Still, I saw this universal praise and saying it's one of the best action movies ever and I didn't really understand it when I saw the movie, and I actually saw the movie in a theater and then one night on HBO. I had the same reaction both times.

It is all personal preference in my opinion, you cant tell someone that something is the best ever.

For me personally I would rate it as easily one of my favorite action films that I have enjoyed. But that being said I have interest in films that revolve around the dystopian/post apocalyptic world theme. I also like Marvel superhero movies but in terms of the bonds of realism (even how crazy mad max is) I found that Fury Road did a great job of sucking me into their form of "action" as the technical aspect of it and less use of CGI gave it a wow factor for me. I guess I appreciate the technical aspect and work they put into their "action" movie. In the clip below it some raw film reel footage of the stunts and its just amazing and feels so old school compared to most films we see made today.

Reactions: SJSharksfan39

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
It is all personal preference in my opinion, you cant tell someone that something is the best ever.

For me personally I would rate it as easily one of my favorite action films that I have enjoyed. But that being said I have interest in films that revolve around the dystopian/post apocalyptic world theme. I also like Marvel superhero movies but in terms of the bonds of realism (even how crazy mad max is) I found that Fury Road did a great job of sucking me into their form of "action" as the technical aspect of it and less use of CGI gave it a wow factor for me. I guess I appreciate the technical aspect and work they put into their "action" movie. In the clip below it some raw film reel footage of the stunts and its just amazing and feels so old school compared to most films we see made today.

That entire chase was the best thing about the entire movie. That was incredible.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
What an entertainment landscape that we live in when the way for movies, TV shows and music to raise the bar is to go back 30 years to borrow from the 1980s, present it as if it's new and reap the accolades.

Seriously, maybe this is why there are two camps when it comes to Fury Road. If you use the original Mad Max films as your frame of reference and compare it to them, you may not be impressed. If you've been eating up modern Marvel films and starting to get a little weary of their formulaic-ness and overdone CGI, however, Fury Road may seem very impressive and fresh. I've definitely been in the former camp, but I wouldn't mind switching. Maybe, just before re-watching it, whenever that is, I should binge watch a bunch of recent superhero CGI-fests. That may give myself a better chance of appreciating it than I did the first time around, when I was holding it up against the originals, instead. Unfortunately, I don't think that this trick could ever work with The Last Jedi, though.
I don't really understand why you would feel that way. The appeal of the new Fury Road seems pretty separate from the appeal of the one in the 80s, IMO. They might as well be different movies, as it relies heavily on a type of visual flair that the original didn't really have. The actual premise/story of both versions are merely serviceable, are nothing special, and are not the reason the film is well received, IMO, so to say it's receiving accolades by piggybacking off of an old movie seems odd to me.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I just joked about what a world this is when Tom Cruise wins an Oscar, but then I reminded myself that Sylvester Stallone, Tom Hanks, Clint Eastwood and Mel Gibson have all won Oscars, when, at one point, you might've died laughing at the suggestion. I'm still waiting for Arnold Schwarzenegger's Oscar to arrive. Surely, the Academy could invent an award for him or give him a Lifetime Achievement one. I'd be less opposed to that than I am to this "Popular Film" award.

I support this. If there were ever an actor who was a category unto himself, it's Arnie.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Am I missing something? Why would it be laughable that Cruise, Hanks, Stallone, Eastwood, and Gibson have Oscars, but a shame that Schwarzenegger doesn't?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad