OT: Oscar Night 2013, Post Your Predictions Here!

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
For those of us who are very into Movies, tonight is Oscar night, and I wanted to give us a thread to discuss it tonight, so as we didn't clutter up the regular OT Thread, for those who are not as into movies as we may be.

I won't be able to watch live, as I have a Roller Hockey game tonight starting at 6:40 pm, but I will be watching off of the DVR.

I'm going to post my predictions here and I welcome those of you who do care enough to do the same!

Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Argo has been cleaning up since surprising people with it's Golden Globe victory. A lot of people also believe that it's doing so well because of some sort of spite toward the Academy for not nominating Ben Affleck for Best Director. That very well could be. Even though I haven't seen all of the Best Picture nominees (Amour and Beasts of the Southern Wild didn't even play here), I have seen 6 of the 9 nominees, and I found them all to be good and entertaining, but I did find Argo to be the best one, followed closely by Django Unchained/Silver Linings Playbook.

Best Actor

Bradley Cooper, Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis, Lincoln
Hugh Jackman, Les Miserables
Joaquin Phoenix, The Master
Denzel Washington, Flight

Daniel Day-Lewis is considered the virtual "shoe-in" here. And after watching Lincoln, I can understand why. The only movie I haven't seen yet from this list is "The Master", and I'm a huge Joaquin Phoenix fan, but unfortunately it only played 1 week here in Wichita. All of the actors in this category did fine work, and I honestly feel that if it were any other year, they'd be walking away with the Oscar tonight. I especially feel for Bradley Cooper, because Silver Linings Playbook was amazing. It was entirely his movie and he was phenomenal, so I won't be surprised if he pulls out an amazing upset.

Best Actress

Jessica Chastain, Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence, Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva, Amour
Quvenzhane Wallis, Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts, The Impossible

I think this is where the Academy will recognize Silver Linings Playbook. And it won't be a bad choice. Jennifer Lawrence and Bradley Cooper worked really well together, and she was phenomenal. Unfortunately, I only saw SLP and Zero Dark Thirty, the others did not play in Wichita. :(

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin, Argo
Robert De Niro, Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman, The Master
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln
Christoph Waltz, Django Unchained

Apparently the smart money is on Tommy Lee Jones for "Lincoln", and it isn't a bad prediction, but I'm pulling for the Dark Horse here, Mr. Christoph Waltz. For those who saw Django, they would understand. Christoph does such a great job in that movie, it's hard to not want him to be in every scene of the movie!

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Anne Hathaway, Les Miserables
Helen Hunt, The Sessions
Jacki Weaver, Silver Linings Playbook

Reason? See what I wrote for Daniel Day-Lewis. I think the Oscar was hers to lose, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Amy Adams wins, but I think Hathaway walks away with it tonight.

Best Director

Michael Haneke, Amour
Ang Lee, Life of Pi
David O. Russell, Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg, Lincoln
Benh Zeitlin, Beasts of the Southern Wild

Again this is a tough one, I didn't get a chance to see "Amour" or "Beasts of the Southern Wild", but a lot of pundits are predicting Spielberg, and the man has done so much great work it's hard to see why you wouldn't predict him winning...but a gut feeling tells me that Ang Lee will walk away with it tonight.

Best Original Screenplay

Amour, Michael Haneke
Django Unchained, Quentin Tarantino
Flight, John Gatins
Moonrise Kingdom, Wes Anderson and Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty, Mark Boal

I will be very surprised if Django doesn't win. Only other possible movie I could see winning this would be "Moonrise Kingdom", and that wouldn't bother me, but Django was great. This would be the spot to honor that movie, as I can't really see the Academy giving Tarantino a Best Picture Oscar.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Argo, Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild, Lucy Alibar and Benh Zeitlin,
Life of Pi, David Magee
Lincoln, Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook, David O. Russell

The Academy seems to like Lincoln, so I guess Kushner could win, but I really see this as being a race between Argo, Life of Pi (a book many had said would be "un-filmable) and Silving Linings Playbook, and Hollywood seems to be all aboard the "Argo" train

Best Animated Feature

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

It's strange to see a Pixar Movie nominated but not be considered by many the one to win this category. Brave was a really good Pixar film, I enjoyed it tremendously, but I just think that "Wreck-It Ralph" was better...but who knows, since "Wreck-It Ralph" was a video-game themed movie, the Academy might not care for it too much.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
There's so many movies I haven't seen so I can't really pick. I'd like Haneke to win for best director, but it's mostly based on me loving some of his previous movies (Cache, The White Ribbon). Besides, what says Oscar night more than a Austrian/French director that loves to explore the concepts of guilt, violence and repression.

I haven't even seen Amour so I have no idea if it's Oscar worthy.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Great idea :handclap:
Have not seen every movie on this list but most of them.
Rooting hard for King Schultz and his movie...
Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty
Lincoln over Django and Argo. Just because I don't think that Tarantino will ever win Best picture. But very close this year. After getting snubbed by the Academy, I don't think they would allow Affleck to win this. They would basically admit that they screwed up. Not gonna happen. I don't believe that anyone has ever won without being nominated as best director?
I don't get the fuss about Lincoln but maybe that is an US-thing and I think that this will be the deciding factor.
Really really enjoyed SLPB as well.
Great year for movies.

Best Actor

From what I have heard it will be Daniel Day- Lewis by a big margin.
The performance of Phoenix is on par with him but DDL will take it too easily...

Best Actress

Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

I would hope Lawrence wins this. Absolutely am in love with that girl ;). But I think Riva will take it. Amour is really the wild card in this whole thing. It gets too much hype around here so I can't make a sound judgement on it. But I think this is the one where the Academy will show some love.

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin, Argo
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

"Apparently the smart money is on Tommy Lee Jones for "Lincoln", and it isn't a bad prediction, but I'm pulling for the Dark Horse here, Mr. Christoph Waltz. For those who saw Django, they would understand. Christoph does such a great job in that movie, it's hard to not want him to be in every scene of the movie!"

Agree 100 %. Christoph should win but Tommy will take it for some reason.

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Helen Hunt, The Sessions

"Reason? See what I wrote for Daniel Day-Lewis. I think the Oscar was hers to lose, but I wouldn't be totally shocked if Amy Adams wins, but I think Hathaway walks away with it tonight."

I 100 % agree again :D
Best Director

Michael Haneke, Amour
Ang Lee, Life of Pi

I don't like it because I really don't thin Lincoln is that good but it is the typical movie that (sorry) profits from the US bias of the Academy ;). Would like to see Haneke win this (yeah I can be biased too ;)). Still think that this is Spielbergs to lose.

Best Original Screenplay

Amour, Michael Haneke
Flight, John Gatins

"I will be very surprised if Django doesn't win. Only other possible movie I could see winning this would be "Moonrise Kingdom", and that wouldn't bother me, but Django was great. This would be the spot to honor that movie, as I can't really see the Academy giving Tarantino a Best Picture Oscar."

100 % agree. After not winning Director (not even nominated..) , best picture or best supporting actor, they will give this one to Quentin.

Best Adapted Screenplay

Argo, Chris Terrio
Life of Pi, David Magee
Lincoln, Tony Kushner

I am all in on Lincoln. Even though I dislike this movie. Just screams Oscar darling to me for whatever reason. Would love to see Russell taking this one though...

Best Animated Feature

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
Wreck-It Ralph

Don't know anything about this category tbh. But I think Wreck it Ralph should win this???

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Hmmm I haven't seen a single one of these films outside Moonrise Kingdom. Will probably watch Argo/Django/Silver Linings at some point. Maybe The Master.

Boring award show though, seems like the same stuff in each category. Wouldn't you rather watch an actual film or Matt Hunwick?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Hmmm I haven't seen a single one of these films outside Moonrise Kingdom. Will probably watch Argo/Django/Silver Linings at some point. Maybe The Master.

Boring award show though, seems like the same stuff in each category. Wouldn't you rather watch an actual film or Matt Hunwick?

I kind of always watch Oscar night. For years now. It is somewhat boring for the most parts but I usually have 3 or 4 categories in which I have a favorite I root hard for.

Avs play at 8 PM. So I will have the Joy of watching both the award show and Hunwick.
And to be honest I would rather watch almost anything than witness Hunwick turn over puck after puck....

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Tarantino will ever win Best picture. But very close this year. After getting snubbed by the Academy, I don't think they would allow Affleck to win this. They would basically admit that they screwed up. Not gonna happen. I don't believe that anyone has ever won without being nominated as best director?

It's actually only happened twice ever. Grand Hotel in the 1930s, and Driving Miss Daisy in 1989. It's really looking more and more like it could happen again this year.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
My prediction - I will be wanting to stab myself in the eye with a butter knife 30 mins into the Oscars, while my wife gleefully watches and is on the edge of her seat.

Steve Varmalov

And Then....
Dec 11, 2007
Boulder
Here are my picks....

Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Actor

Easiest pick of the night.

Best Actress

Emmanuelle Riva, Amour

JLaw was great in Silver Linings. Love her.

Best Supporting Actor

Alan Arkin, Argo
Tommy Lee Jones, Lincoln

Waltz was great. He should be an easy win but for whatever reason he isn't a slam dunk.

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams, The Master
Sally Field, Lincoln
Helen Hunt, The Sessions

Best Director

Michael Haneke, Amour
Ang Lee, Life of Pi

Best movie & Best director.

Best Original Screenplay

Amour, Michael Haneke
Flight, John Gatins

Best Adapted Screenplay

Argo, Chris Terrio
Life of Pi, David Magee
Lincoln, Tony Kushner

Best Animated Feature

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
Wreck-It Ralph

Brave is my pick here. Think it was the best of the bunch.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
1361749065722.gif

I have another gif of Anne Hathaway that's quite nipple heavy and I don't know how strict the new mods are so I won't post it

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Man alive!

Thus far I've NAILED all of my predictions, with the sole exception being the Best Animated Film (and even then I posted that I could see the Academy not going with Wreck-It Ralph)

I'm very happy that Christoph won, I really did think that Tommy Lee Jones had it, I had predicted Christoph just because I wanted him to win

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Man alive!

Thus far I've NAILED all of my predictions, with the sole exception being the Best Animated Film (and even then I posted that I could see the Academy not going with Wreck-It Ralph)

I'm very happy that Christoph won, I really did think that Tommy Lee Jones had it, I had predicted Christoph just because I wanted him to win

You totally were cheating! Admit it ! :D

I failed beyond belief. But I am happy that I did. Really thought that this would become a Lincoln fest . Still time though.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Wham-Bam!

Only one miss, and it was Best Animated Feature!? I really should have thought better than to have predicted against a Pixar movie...even though I DID feel that Wreck-It Ralph was the best animated film (and I did see Brave, it was excellent).

I wanna thank Joem and Steve Varlamov, you guys were really the only ones who posted their predictions...

But man, I deserve some props, I was pretty damn good in my predicting!

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Wham-Bam!

Only one miss, and it was Best Animated Feature!? I really should have thought better than to have predicted against a Pixar movie...even though I DID feel that Wreck-It Ralph was the best animated film (and I did see Brave, it was excellent).

I wanna thank Joem and Steve Varlamov, you guys were really the only ones who posted their predictions...

Yeah you deserve it. I hope you put your money on the Oscars and not the Avs tonight. You were on fire.

Was fun. See you at the next Oscars :D. Atleast I can't get worse with my predictions ;)

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wham-Bam!

Good job.

Steve Varmalov

And Then....
Dec 11, 2007
Boulder
Shocked that Life of Pi went home with so much, good movie but did not see that coming.

And on Argo, just didn't think it was the best movie. Liked Zero Dark, Lincoln and Silver Linining all better.

And I got Brave right! haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->