Player Discussion Oscar Klefbom

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by PatrikBerglund, Oct 27, 2018.

1. CycloneSweep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yep. Sounds like he has let this hurt his personal life and health so he could keep playing hockey. But after Covid and stuff it seems like he is done sacrificing for his career, so he is seriously looking at his future rather than the now. I think that's why he still hasn't decided. I feel like what's best for his future could put his career in jeopardy so he is taking his time.

He definitely wants to still play but he definitely doesn't want a future full of pain and a present with his agony either

2. GMofOilers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Shoulder replacement surgery is retirement, if he goes the surgery route, his NHL days are done. Thats what the big delay is.

CycloneSweep likes this.
  3. Bryanbryoil Win It For Colby & Emily

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    His shot clearly hasn't been the same. His peak was during our last playoff run. Since then he has clearly not been the same player.

4. McJadeddog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yeah, it sounds like he can pretty much not include him in Oilers plans moving forward. Really sucks as he is such a good player and so young still. Wish him the best. Hockey isn't everything, and he has decades ahead of him, and hopefully a few million in the bank. Take care of your body, its the only one you have, you can always make money another way.

Does anybody know how this would affect the Oilers for cap? Assuming that Klef won't be on the team next year, but he isn't retiring out-right, his cap is still on the books for another 3 years (including this year). That means we can't use his cap to sign a long term player right, because of how LTIR works? Like, theoretically, if Barrie wanted to stay on the team long term, we couldn't use Klef's $4.1 M for a multiyear contract with Barrie, because the cap room doesn't become "available" until the start of the year right? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but LTIR is confusing.

ujju2 likes this.
  5. CycloneSweep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yep.
    I mean I believe he can come back from the shoulder surgery but the chances are definitely low and he won't be the best player. Maybe he plays back in Sweden?

Aerchon likes this.
  6. GMofOilers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Its not just shoulder surgery, its full blown shoulder replacement, theres no way he plays if thats the case.

7. Old Boys Club Product of JJ Kharia

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Unfortunate that this has happened to him, but it makes sense he takes his time to weigh out the options. Hopefully there's a future where he can fix his shoulder and come back to playing, but who knows if that's viable. Wish you the best Klefa!

I'd imagine this issue has been on the Oilers horizon for quite some time. The Broberg pick makes more sense to me with all this coming out.

8. Ninety7 go oil go

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Wow, tough luck.

wish him all the best.

Drivesaitl likes this.
  9. CycloneSweep Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Going for a defender there now makes way more sense for sure

GOilers88 likes this.
  10. GMofOilers Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  11. ujju2 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I'm no cap expert, but we are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. So I guess we could use his cap and be above the cap in the offseason, then drop back below the cap as soon as the LTIR kicks in. I could be wrong.

12. Kolja 1-5-6-14

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Yes, I asumed "all but certain" ment "not likely". Blame it on being Swedish. :)

LaGu and Bryanbryoil like this.
  13. McJadeddog Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Oh yeah, kinda forgot we can be over in the off-season. Maybe that would allow us to carry an $8 M contract, but that really becomes a $4 M contract once LTIR kicks in?

14. oobga Tier 2 Fan

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Sucks for Klef. Really hope there is a way for him to be playing again, but seems more and more unlikely as time goes on. Long term health/comfort is just as, if not more, important.

If only we were in the future with cyber implant limbs. Oscar Silverhand has a nice ring to it.

15. GOilers88 Fer Da

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Just goes to show how crazily we (the fans) can overreact to situations we know absolutely nothing about. Makes me wish people would ease off the draft pick slamming a year or two after the picks are made but that's a pipe dream.

16. bone 5-14-6-1

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Tampa is almost $16M over right now, so there must be a difference if the player is LTIRed in the off-season. I think Toronto was often more than 10% over when they were exploited Robidas island as well.

17. Aerchon Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I know I'm negative at times and I would love to not be about this but...

Klefbom has had so many injuries over the years. It's a miracle we got as much good hockey out of him that we have. I don't know how in the world he could come back to the nhl after this latest stuff. Sports medicine has come a long ways but...

If he does I sure as hell hope he gets the Masterton trophy out of it. No way I would jeopardize my long term health in his condition.

18. Paralyzer008 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    If you want to look on a bright side:

I think after 4 months of rest and rehab, it's not IMPOSSIBLE to suggest Oscar Klefbom returns for the playoffs.

If he had surgery, we'd know he's done, but I don't think we can shoot this down quite yet.

19. Drivesaitl Sophisticated Sophist ;)

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I wish Klefbom well in his life. I fear it would be a mistake for him, in his life, to come back to NHL hockey, or hockey at all. No shame to admit that and accept that as the option.

The best D in the history of the game, Bobby Orr, had to quit way prematurely due to knee problems.

Pro sports played at highest level, and hockey, exact quite a toll on the body. If one is experiencing severe shoulder problems necessitating replacement, that player should stop playing.

Aerchon, RattsSSV, Oilhawks and 4 others like this.
  20. Asiaoil Vperod Bizona!

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Home Page:
    Sad to say but it looks like he's done as an NHL player. At some point you have to consider the rest of your life and he's made more than enough money. I think you can safely dream up expansion protected lists without his name on them and the Broberg pick makes a hell of a lot of sense right about now. Nurse, Jones, Sammy, Broburg, Lagasson. We'll be OK. Thanks for the memories Klef. Will always remember that crazy slapshot to tie game 5 late against the ducks.

RattsSSV, Oilhawks and Bryanbryoil like this.
  21. Giggleplex Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Some of those questions were so bad...

22. Eskimo44 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    He hardly missed the net before and it was a rocket, it was a real shame. You could see the next year he tried to protect his shoulder all season. If we're honest this is another Chiarelli f*** up as he never should have been playing through major injury while the Oilers were out of it as he did. The guy was young they should have shut him down and taken care of it then. f***ing idiots. If he needs rest now surely he could have used it then.

RattsSSV, Oilhawks and Bryanbryoil like this.
  23. bellagiobob Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
  24. MessierII Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    I think he’s most likely done.

25. Behind Enemy Lines Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 50,000
    Klefbom is a warrior who always stepped up to play and lead. Wishing him the very best in this difficult time. He is a big loss for this team however long-term health is rightfully his priority. Won't play Doctor here other than knowing Klef will have the best medical knowledge at his disposal to assess and determine the way forward with clear focus of an anticipated long-life to follow the short hockey life he obviously loves.