Player Discussion Oscar Klefbom

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I don't take those comments like that at all. He WANTS to come back, but it will depend on his pain levels going forward. Being on pain killers/NSAI's long term = not living a very long life. Hopefully the surgery minimizes or better yet removes his pain and then if he feels confident in it, he can try to come back to the NHL.
Yep. Sounds like he has let this hurt his personal life and health so he could keep playing hockey. But after Covid and stuff it seems like he is done sacrificing for his career, so he is seriously looking at his future rather than the now. I think that's why he still hasn't decided. I feel like what's best for his future could put his career in jeopardy so he is taking his time.

He definitely wants to still play but he definitely doesn't want a future full of pain and a present with his agony either

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
If his shoulder is really as bad as he says he is, his decline in play over the last 2/3 years can honestly be forgiven

I messed up my shoulder playing beer league 2 years ago and I still feel the effects of it to this day, can't imagine how bad it must be for a pro

His shot clearly hasn't been the same. His peak was during our last playoff run. Since then he has clearly not been the same player.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yeah, it sounds like he can pretty much not include him in Oilers plans moving forward. Really sucks as he is such a good player and so young still. Wish him the best. Hockey isn't everything, and he has decades ahead of him, and hopefully a few million in the bank. Take care of your body, its the only one you have, you can always make money another way.

Does anybody know how this would affect the Oilers for cap? Assuming that Klef won't be on the team next year, but he isn't retiring out-right, his cap is still on the books for another 3 years (including this year). That means we can't use his cap to sign a long term player right, because of how LTIR works? Like, theoretically, if Barrie wanted to stay on the team long term, we couldn't use Klef's $4.1 M for a multiyear contract with Barrie, because the cap room doesn't become "available" until the start of the year right? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but LTIR is confusing.

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Shoulder replacement surgery is retirement, if he goes the surgery route, his NHL days are done. Thats what the big delay is.
Yep.
I mean I believe he can come back from the shoulder surgery but the chances are definitely low and he won't be the best player. Maybe he plays back in Sweden?

Reactions: Aerchon

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Yep.
I mean I believe he can come back from the shoulder surgery but the chances are definitely low and he won't be the best player. Maybe he plays back in Sweden?

Its not just shoulder surgery, its full blown shoulder replacement, theres no way he plays if thats the case.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Unfortunate that this has happened to him, but it makes sense he takes his time to weigh out the options. Hopefully there's a future where he can fix his shoulder and come back to playing, but who knows if that's viable. Wish you the best Klefa!

I'd imagine this issue has been on the Oilers horizon for quite some time. The Broberg pick makes more sense to me with all this coming out.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Unfortunate that this has happened to him, but it makes sense he takes his time to weigh out the options. Hopefully there's a future where he can fix his shoulder and come back to playing, but who knows if that's viable. Wish you the best Klefa!

I'd imagine this issue has been on the Oilers horizon for quite some time. The Broberg pick makes more sense to me with all this coming out.
Going for a defender there now makes way more sense for sure

Reactions: GOilers88

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Yeah, it sounds like he can pretty much not include him in Oilers plans moving forward. Really sucks as he is such a good player and so young still. Wish him the best. Hockey isn't everything, and he has decades ahead of him, and hopefully a few million in the bank. Take care of your body, its the only one you have, you can always make money another way.

Does anybody know how this would affect the Oilers for cap? Assuming that Klef won't be on the team next year, but he isn't retiring out-right, his cap is still on the books for another 3 years (including this year). That means we can't use his cap to sign a long term player right, because of how LTIR works? Like, theoretically, if Barrie wanted to stay on the team long term, we couldn't use Klef's $4.1 M for a multiyear contract with Barrie, because the cap room doesn't become "available" until the start of the year right? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but LTIR is confusing.

I'm no cap expert, but we are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. So I guess we could use his cap and be above the cap in the offseason, then drop back below the cap as soon as the LTIR kicks in. I could be wrong.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I don't take those comments like that at all. He WANTS to come back, but it will depend on his pain levels going forward. Being on pain killers/NSAI's long term = not living a very long life. Hopefully the surgery minimizes or better yet removes his pain and then if he feels confident in it, he can try to come back to the NHL.

Yes, I asumed "all but certain" ment "not likely". Blame it on being Swedish. :)

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm no cap expert, but we are allowed to be 10% over the cap in the offseason. So I guess we could use his cap and be above the cap in the offseason, then drop back below the cap as soon as the LTIR kicks in. I could be wrong.

Oh yeah, kinda forgot we can be over in the off-season. Maybe that would allow us to carry an $8 M contract, but that really becomes a $4 M contract once LTIR kicks in?

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Sucks for Klef. Really hope there is a way for him to be playing again, but seems more and more unlikely as time goes on. Long term health/comfort is just as, if not more, important.

If only we were in the future with cyber implant limbs. Oscar Silverhand has a nice ring to it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Tampa is almost $16M over right now, so there must be a difference if the player is LTIRed in the off-season. I think Toronto was often more than 10% over when they were exploited Robidas island as well.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know I'm negative at times and I would love to not be about this but...

Klefbom has had so many injuries over the years. It's a miracle we got as much good hockey out of him that we have. I don't know how in the world he could come back to the nhl after this latest stuff. Sports medicine has come a long ways but...

If he does I sure as hell hope he gets the Masterton trophy out of it. No way I would jeopardize my long term health in his condition.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
If you want to look on a bright side:

I think after 4 months of rest and rehab, it's not IMPOSSIBLE to suggest Oscar Klefbom returns for the playoffs.

If he had surgery, we'd know he's done, but I don't think we can shoot this down quite yet.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I wish Klefbom well in his life. I fear it would be a mistake for him, in his life, to come back to NHL hockey, or hockey at all. No shame to admit that and accept that as the option.

The best D in the history of the game, Bobby Orr, had to quit way prematurely due to knee problems.

Pro sports played at highest level, and hockey, exact quite a toll on the body. If one is experiencing severe shoulder problems necessitating replacement, that player should stop playing.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Sad to say but it looks like he's done as an NHL player. At some point you have to consider the rest of your life and he's made more than enough money. I think you can safely dream up expansion protected lists without his name on them and the Broberg pick makes a hell of a lot of sense right about now. Nurse, Jones, Sammy, Broburg, Lagasson. We'll be OK. Thanks for the memories Klef. Will always remember that crazy slapshot to tie game 5 late against the ducks.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
His shot clearly hasn't been the same. His peak was during our last playoff run. Since then he has clearly not been the same player.

He hardly missed the net before and it was a rocket, it was a real shame. You could see the next year he tried to protect his shoulder all season. If we're honest this is another Chiarelli f*** up as he never should have been playing through major injury while the Oilers were out of it as he did. The guy was young they should have shut him down and taken care of it then. f***ing idiots. If he needs rest now surely he could have used it then.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Klefbom is a warrior who always stepped up to play and lead. Wishing him the very best in this difficult time. He is a big loss for this team however long-term health is rightfully his priority. Won't play Doctor here other than knowing Klef will have the best medical knowledge at his disposal to assess and determine the way forward with clear focus of an anticipated long-life to follow the short hockey life he obviously loves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->