Player Discussion Oscar Klefbom

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Justifiably, alot of negative talk on HFOil. Thought Id bring in some more positive news

Berksire did some digging to evaluate the best defensive defenseman in the league using stats like high danger chances given up , quantity/quality of shots given up. There is the familar names like Giorando, Vlasic, Tanev, Brodie. But right in there with them, is our boy Oscar Klefbom

This is not the first time Klefboms name has come up as being really, really good when looking at defensive metrics. In 16/17 his defensive stats were some of the best in the league. This also happened across multiple method of measuring defensive impact, so not just from one source

I truely believe we will have a #1 D (or close to) in Klefbom one day. I think he deserves alot more credit than he gets, especially from Oiler fans. It would suck to see Klefbom get traded

Defensive-D.png

Trying to identify the best defensive defencemen in the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Justifiably, alot of negative talk on HFOil. Thought Id bring in some more positive news

Berksire did some digging to evaluate the best defensive defenseman in the league using stats like high danger chances given up , quantity/quality of shots given up. There is the familar names like Giorando, Vlasic, Tanev, Brodie. But right in there with them, is our boy Oscar Klefbom

This is not the first time Klefboms name has come up as being really, really good when looking at defensive metrics. In 16/17 his defensive stats were some of the best in the league. This also happened across multiple method of measuring defensive impact, so not just from one source

I truely believe we will have a #1 D (or close to) in Klefbom one day. I think he deserves alot more credit than he gets, especially from Oiler fans. It would suck to see Klefbom get traded

Defensive-D.png

Trying to identify the best defensive defencemen in the NHL - Sportsnet.ca

Pretty good for a 2nd pair D

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Klef could be a great top pairing D, but these injuries always occur right when it looks like he's taking that extra step.

Hopefully this is the last one for a long time... We really can't afford to have him off the roster for 1/4 of every season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
7th in League D scoring, 1st in TOI/GP, 1st in D scoring for Swedes (probably only I care about that).

This is what a bounce-back season looks like and it has been a bit lost looking at the success of Bear and his pairing with Nurse.

Tbh Klefbom seems to be an extremely positive guy, so I am not sure how much his troubles over the last years has weighed on him, but it must feel good. Great for him and he is definitely one of the success-stories this year (Drai, McD, Klefbom, Bear, Neal, The PK, etc)

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
Klef has the basic skills defensively but it's critical for his performance to have the right partner (eg. Nurse has more ease with different partners). He and Larsson are a great fit.
His offensive skills - shot, creativity- need to continue to grow.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
I'm still waiting for the KlefBOMBS to return. He is a scary player offensively when his shot is getting through.

Hopefully next we see Larsson return to form. They were a great pairing in 16-17.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
his health may be the biggest factor for the team this season. He has been a bonafide #1 dman this year

He's not flashy. I'm not sure he will ever be in the conversation for one of the best in the league...

But he has been outstanding and just continues to get better.

All him. This year's rotating partners proves it. Can anchor any pairing and so well. Underrated on the PP, just a great puck mover. So Strong fast and smart. Experience has tempered this player so well.

I personally could care less if his shot reaches it's previous great levels because everything else he does is so damn good.

If his shot does come back. Who knows how good Klefbom could be... If he also remains healthy.

Reactions: Oilhawks and Zaddy

Waterbuf

Sep 21, 2018
Vancouver
One thing that stands out to me is the ridiculous amount of minutes he plays. Hope he doesn't burn out in the later part of the season.

Reactions: Aerchon

Pulju Propagandist

Jesse’s Bison
Jul 7, 2016
One thing that stands out to me is the ridiculous amount of minutes he plays. Hope he doesn't burn out in the later part of the season.
His fitness is World class, so I wouldn't worry about 'burning out" per se.

Like others have said already, it may be the fact that playing more brings more chance of freak injury, which has plagued him in the past. I hope it doesn't happen again, and I really feel he is past all that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Klefbom is averaging almost 26 mins a night and is even carrying Jones right now and only has 6 (!) penalty minutes.

What a stud.

Our defense has truly been great this year.
He's been every bit of a #1 defenseman. His ability to shutdown literally everyone has been so great to watch.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Klefbom always had huge potential with his frame and skating ability. He is living up to every bit of it defensively, snuffing out opposition scoring chances and playing a tonne of high-quality minutes. Still has some untapped offense, I think, but I’ll take what I can get. His contract is absolute thievery for us right now.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Klef has the basic skills defensively but it's critical for his performance to have the right partner (eg. Nurse has more ease with different partners). He and Larsson are a great fit.
His offensive skills - shot, creativity- need to continue to grow.
Really? For me he is better than Nurse when it comes to needing the right partner.
He has had to 'babysit' the noobs all season and hasn't skipped a beat.
Persson, Jones and now Larsson

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
If he ends the year with 50 points it is going to be hard for anyone to pretend he isn't a number 1 dman in the league right now.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
His point total will depend on how much Oilers hold Bear back.
Ideally Bear would take Klefbom's PP minutes and Larsson would take some of Bear's ES, PK minutes.
Need Larsson to get to that level so Klefa,Nurse Larsson and Bear can all play around 22min/night

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Next season he needs to stop being relied upon for offensive situations if he returns. I am not sure if injuries have hampered his ability over the years but I basically have no hope of him scoring when he tees up a shot and I would think that his teammates share that sentiment.

Not Canada Drai

♧ Lem
Jul 7, 2019
Edmonton
Next season he needs to stop being relied upon for offensive situations if he returns. I am not sure if injuries have hampered his ability over the years but I basically have no hope of him scoring when he tees up a shot and I would think that his teammates share that sentiment.

He should be stapled to 2nd pair defensive duties. Dude seemed slower than Lars out there. Not sure what's up with that, even though he's not the fastest to begin with.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He should be stapled to 2nd pair defensive duties. Dude seemed slower than Lars out there. Not sure what's up with that, even though he's not the fastest to begin with.

Remember the days when Klef and Nurse were considered good skaters? Klef looks slower than ever and his shot isnt worth a wet fart anymore. Bouchard and Broberg should be training like beasts looking at what they have to displace to get into the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad