Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
The problem with this, is that aside from our 1st and maybe one or two prospects (who we probably should move), we don't have any of those types of pieces with the value needed to get the pieces we need.

Still hope we don't trade Klefbom, but I can see it happening.

I can see something like a Klefbom-Krug or Klefbom for Severson+ deal happening, but I wouldn’t be thrilled about it.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Supply + demand
welcome to the club

everyone almost
needs cheap productive RD
and also to move too much cap in a given area

Shatty took less to come home, he stays for now

Do you want to offer overpay for NYR to sacrifice its RDs Pionk/DeAngelo?

Other than maybe a depth winger the Rangers have nothing of value to Edmonton. Not good trade partners.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I can see something like a Klefbom-Krug or Klefbom for Severson+ deal happening, but I wouldn’t be thrilled about it.
I won't be thrilled about anything involving Klefbom unless we keep him, but I do think that Chiarelli is planning to move our 1st for a D (probably RD like Faulk, even though I know you hate him) and then Klefbom for a forward. I just don't see that forward on the Rangers roster. Kreider could have worked if Nuge didn't work so well on McD's wing already. And I just don't see a RW that I would want to move Klefbom for who would be available.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I won't be thrilled about anything involving Klefbom unless we keep him, but I do think that Chiarelli is planning to move our 1st for a D (probably RD like Faulk, even though I know you hate him) and then Klefbom for a forward. I just don't see that forward on the Rangers roster. Kreider could have worked if Nuge didn't work so well on McD's wing already. And I just don't see a RW that I would want to move Klefbom for who would be available.

I just think if a defenceman is as awful in his own zone as Faulk is, he’d better be elite offensively - and he’s only hit 40 points once if I remember right.

I also think we need more of an ES presence. Faulk gets most of his points on the PP - he’s not a puck distributor either. He’s a shooter, which is fine and has its uses, but I want a guy who can get the puck up to our forwards and IMO that isn’t him.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we use our pick honestly. There’s a lot of high end OFD available around 9.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
if Darlings plays poorly we have his contract for another 3 yrs and no chance to move him. Same for Smith, true.
But I personally see a much higher chance to get Smith back in shape and have a decent D-man that we really need.
And even if Darling plays good in his 20+ games as Lundqvists backup still noone will take him and his 4M+ caphit as he has just shown he can't handle being a starter. What do we do with him then when Shestyorkin is coming over?

If the martians kidapped Benny Allaire, then I consider your point.

Few but most desperate only risk takers move on Darling now.
But like I said, we already have track record w/him and pretty much every goalie he ever worked with, and Pavelec is indisputable.

You'd have to carry Darling at least half the season, or, until injury forces someone's hand.
But you WILL be able to move him.

Smith deserves no extra consideration, and he is not even actual RD, just a lefty who has done both sides. Tuffness factor, check, everything else is question mark. He did play well enough to get that contract, but at this point everything is a risk.

Let him go to Canes. With their improvement, he can fit as a 7, esp if moving Faulk or other opens a slot and everyone moves up.

Plus, we get McKeown in phase 2 there, an actual righty.
Do it.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I just think if a defenceman is as awful in his own zone as Faulk is, he’d better be elite offensively - and he’s only hit 40 points once if I remember right.

I also think we need more of an ES presence. Faulk gets most of his points on the PP - he’s not a puck distributor either. He’s a shooter, which is fine and has its uses, but I want a guy who can get the puck up to our forwards and IMO that isn’t him.

I wouldn’t be shocked if we use our pick honestly. There’s a lot of high end OFD available around 9.
Well, IMO a shooter on the PP is our biggest need, which is why I'm not hating the idea of Faulk. I don't consider him a powerplay only type of player, although that is his strength. You have to remember that he has spent his career on a team that up until 2 years ago has had laughable defenseman in general. That 40 point season was nearly a 50 point season too (49), and he's been 3 points shy of 40 points a couple of times. The big thing with Faulk, and why I'm okay with getting him, is that this is a situation where we would clearly be buying low. The guy is coming off of his worst offensive output since he had his breakout season, and we will get him cheaper than normal because of it. This is a trade that we can win - in terms of value, and in terms of making us a better team. Getting the type of guy you want - a puck distributor, even strength and powerplay dominant guy who shoot (which is a must) is going to be out of our price range - both in terms of cost to acquire, and in terms of cap hit.

All that said, if we trade for Faulk and then trade Klefbom, I don't think we're a better team overall. It would help our powerplay, but we aren't better at even strength, and we don't have the space to improve in other positions while paying so much to our blueline. Its a dilemma, I really have no idea how PC helps out our blueline and our wings with our limited cap space this summer.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Too many pieces moving Bern , why not just go after a RHD and a RH winger

2 for 2 is not too many pieces.
Also, while not unlimited, how many pieces is subordinate to whether or not a deal is good.

Addition by subtraction is still addition.
If Trouba or better fell into our lap, we would still have the contract issue of Smith. Take a proactive step.

After exit of Darling we recover 4m cap which can be used in trade or when worthwhile UFA emerges.
But you have to do this first.
Two path, two tier approach, yes, look to add RD RW, but also do this too.

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
The only way I would deal Klef at this point is if I got a right handed Klef back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->