Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Take the 2nd/3rd out. I think the Rangers are pretty high on Pionk, I don't know if they would consider moving him at this point. Gilmour is the only LHD in the group to actually replace Klefbom's position.

I don’t see Gilmour having much, if any, value to the Oilers.

Pionk is an entirely different story.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
Didn't say anything about Draisaitl.

However, it's been reported on the Rangers beat that Lundqvist, Chytil, and Kreider are untouchable.

Players like Mcdavid, Matthews, Laine are untouchable. Kreider is your Mcdavid? Come on man, keep it real.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I would trade Zucc plus Pionk for Klef. Don't see why Oilers do that.

doomscroll

Jan 15, 2018
Stralman came in as a free agent and looked good. So we re-signed him. Perhaps he didn't showcase his talent elsewhere, but we didn't "develop" him. You're reaching on that one. For Rosival, he played 4 seasons with the Penguins prior to joining us and wasn't exactly a turd on the ice. We got him around his prime age, and his TOI increased with the lack of depth we had on defense. McDonagh was traded to us, spent little time in our development and never looked back. I suppose you can make the argument that we turned him into a captain #1, etc. Guys like Staal, Girardi, Skjei and Sauer are better examples.

Didn’t the Rangers help Strålman get treatment for persistent lung issues that were holding back his conditioning? That seems like a developmental aid, and certianly helped him solidify himself in the league. McDonagh was obviously well-regarded, but he was picked up at great value for the player he would become, and I doubt that trade would have taken place if the Rangers’ FO didn’t see a bright future for him. They might not have had the best defensive scheme for the past few years (understatement), but it seems a bit dishonest to say that the Rangers don’t develop talent just because the Defensemen they acquire aren’t always 18. Fostering an environment for a breakout is just as important as scouting 18 year olds.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Didn’t the Rangers help Strålman get treatment for persistent lung issues that were holding back his conditioning? That seems like a developmental aid, and certianly helped him solidify himself in the league. McDonagh was obviously well-regarded, but he was picked up at great value for the player he would become, and I doubt that trade would have taken place if the Rangers’ FO didn’t see a bright future for him. They might not have had the best defensive scheme for the past few years (understatement), but it seems a bit dishonest to say that the Rangers don’t develop talent just because the Defensemen they acquire aren’t always 18. Fostering an environment for a breakout is just as important as scouting 18 year olds.

I don't know how much the Rangers organization actually helped compared to organization contacts. Even in the first 2 seasons he was listed as day to day often. His doctor, albeit probably an affiliated/network of the NYR gave him unique antibiotics used to treat cystic fibrosis. That's still a reach proclaiming rangers developed Stralman as a defensemen. We lucked out that when healthy he was a good player.

I'm not saying the Rangers don't develop talent but I also wouldn't say Rangers are really good at developing defensemen, while reaching for some of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: doomscroll

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
why do I get the impression that some are acting like Pool party is a toss in at this point in time?

People used to do that with Nurse who is emerging as a very good D man.

His growth is one of the few bright spots from this year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sad our own fan base doesn't know our history. Staal, Stralman, Girardi, Rosival, McDonagh, Skjei. This with barely any first round picks. Stralman and Rosival were considered nothing before NY developed them. Amazing how our own fans discount that their team was one of the best defensive teams in hockey for a decade, yet they still think all the defenseman stunk. Typical though. They have given the forwards on this team a pass for about 12 years.

When the Oilers can actually put together a defenseman core that can keep the puck out of their net, wake me. The facts don't lie. Their team has been awful defensively for a decade. I'm pretty sure if their defenseman were any good, that wouldn't be the case.

We didn't develop Stralman and Rozsival. Especially not Rozsival. Rozsival always was a second pairing D who we were forced to throw into a #1 role because we're so amazing at developing defenseman.

Staal and Girardi, by the most flattering description possible, were middle pairing D who provided no offense. Dime a dozen players. Dime a dozen players who were absolutely adored because we're just so f***ing good at developing defenseman.

Skjei was drafted in the first round and projects as a 3D. That's not exactly stellar development.

Boston, Nashville, LA, St. Louis, and Columbus are good at developing defenseman.

The Rangers are good at developing goaltenders that make people like you think our defense is good when we've been just as awful defensively as the Oilers for the past decade.

Reactions: Monument

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You should at least be a franchise player. Kreider ain't all that.
He adds a lot of intangibles and really makes the Rangers a different team, and he doesn't make "intangibles" money. He's probably our next captain.

Take it up with the Rangers if you think he should be available because they said he isn't.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
I don’t see Gilmour having much, if any, value to the Oilers.

Pionk is an entirely different story.

Any thoughts on De Angelo? I only mentioned Gilmour because he was the only LHD out of the 3 previously mentioned and on this forum people are always stressing needs. Any interest in Sean Day?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It is interesting to suggest a trade for Klef because of the emergence of Nurse. However, we would much rather have a deep defense and poor wingers, and if we would trade Klef, it would be for an offensive Dman, preferably a righty

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Any thoughts on De Angelo? I only mentioned Gilmour because he was the only LHD out of the 3 previously mentioned and on this forum people are always stressing needs. Any interest in Sean Day?

DeAngelo would be interesting too, my biggest concern with him would be who he is as a person as opposed to who he is as a player.

The point is rather moot in my mind tho. Downgrading our defence is not a good idea. Unless there’s a plan to move out some dead weight or money or both so we can replace Oscar, we can’t make a hole in the top four then slap a patch over it in the form of a young defenceman that would be in over their head. We’ve tried that. We’ve done that for years. It never, ever goes well.

Instead of plugging the hole that being without Sekera for 50 games made, we shrugged our shoulders and thought ‘Meh Russell or Benning can move up and be fine’. They couldn’t and they weren’t. The guy that ended up actually filling the hole, Brandon Davidson, we actually sold high on for a change.

Nurse-Larsson
Hole-Russell
Busted Sekera - Benning

Isn’t good enough. Isn’t near good enough.

Last edited:

McVespa99

May 13, 2007
Rangers record with Kreider in the lineup: 27-23-8 .534 win%
Rangers record without Kreider in the lineup: 7-17-1 .320 win%

We'll keep Kreider, thanks.

Thats an interesting stat but it assumes that Kreider is out and no one that contributes is in...... Anyway I would not trade Klef at this point. His value is too low after playing with a nagging but not chronic injury all year.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
DeAngelo would be interesting too, my biggest concern with him would be who he is as a person as opposed to who he is as a player.

The point is rather moot in my mind tho. Downgrading our defence is not a good idea. Unless there’s a plan to move out some dead weight or money or both so we can replace Oscar, we can’t make a hole in the top four then slap a patch over it in the form of a young defenceman that would be in over their head. We’ve tried that. We’ve done that for years. It never, ever goes well.

Instead of plugging the hole that being without Sekera for 50 games made, we shrugged our shoulders and thought ‘Meh Russell or Benning can move up and be fine’. They couldn’t and they weren’t. The guy that ended up actually filling the hole, Brandon Davidson, we actually sold high on for a change.

Nurse-Larsson
Hole-Russell
Busted Sekera - Benning

Isn’t good enough. Isn’t near good enough.

FWIW, he was a church mouse off the ice his first year with us.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
It`s a great tank move for Rangers perspective with 0 top 6 wing depth - it will not happen guys.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Have no interest in trading for defenseman from a team that has awful defenseman for a decade.

No interest in trading for a winger from a team that can’t score, then. *shrug*

22nd in goals for? Kreider must suck!

Arizona gets scored on more than anyone. OEL is terrible!

See why that’s silly?

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
The team was awful without Kreider concerning detailed stats when he was injured - so he is more important to Rangers than some here thinks, @ChaoticOrange. But who knows since Gorton is rebuilding and moving most players who are 25 years or older so concerning the rebuild topic u never know I guess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->