Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Exactly! That's why you can't bring in a 4M winger. That's my point...those roster spots need to be value, a.k.a. cheap

How is 9 mil to upgrade three minimum wage players going cheap? Sign two for the same price and you have 6-7 mil left over for just one player.

yababy

Jun 26, 2015
How is 9 mil to upgrade three minimum wage players going cheap? Sign two for the same price and you have 6-7 mil left over for just one player.

60m committed so 15m available to fill 6 roster spots. Plan on 4m of that to Nurse and 3m for Strome.
Those RFAs will want raises.
Sleppy, Benning, Caggulia, and Pakarainen.
Only one we should keep there is Benning. Say 1.5m
Gotta get some cheap veterans for
The 3rd and 4th lines...better than Camalleri

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Your new guy is more expensive than Klefbom. You overpaid Nurse.
The new guy would have to be more expensive than Klefbom because we aren't getting the caliber of player at RD we need at Klefbom's salary. Klefbom is on a good cap hit. Which is why it stinks that our idiot GM is probably going to trade him. I paid Nurse on the high end rather than underpaying and being called out for undercutting a salary to make it work.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
The new guy would have to be more expensive than Klefbom because we aren't getting the caliber of player at RD we need at Klefbom's salary. Klefbom is on a good cap hit. Which is why it stinks that our idiot GM is probably going to trade him. I paid Nurse on the high end rather than underpaying and being called out for undercutting a salary to make it work.

Fair enough.

We could maybe wait to call him an idiot GM for trading Klefbom after he actually (maybe) does it.

I for one believe from what was said by management et al. that both he and RNH are back next year. I think people are getting worked up over something that is not going to happen.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
60m committed so 15m available to fill 6 roster spots. Plan on 4m of that to Nurse and 3m for Strome.
Those RFAs will want raises.
Sleppy, Benning, Caggulia, and Pakarainen.
Only one we should keep there is Benning. Say 1.5m
Gotta get some cheap veterans for
The 3rd and 4th lines...better than Camalleri

Those RFA's do not deserve raises and every single one of them can be QO'd at their current salary. If they go to arbitration then you cut them loose or trade them if they win anything more. They are fringe NHLers and probably the ones the Oilers would replace.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Fair enough.

We could maybe wait to call him an idiot GM for trading Klefbom after he actually (maybe) does it.

I for one believe from what was said by management et al. that both he and RNH are back next year. I think people are getting worked up over something that is not going to happen.
He's an idiot GM for past moves, not because he is for sure trading Klefbom.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
Fair enough.

Well those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it and Chiarelli has an established history.

Maybe it won't happen but his history suggests it's likely.

He also has a history of speaking well in press conference and then acting stupidly so I wouldn't put any weight into what he tells the media.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Chia doesn't trade players at their lowest value.

He trades players near their highest value for 10cents on the dollar.

Then signs UFA's to ridiculous contracts with NMC.

Reactions: Dan Kelly

MarkMessyay11

Jan 12, 2015
NJ
As a Rangers fan, I guess you almost have to do it to maximize Zucc's value. Not completely sold on it, but it's one of those deals that's in line with what they're trying to accomplish. Though I think the org is still really high on Kreider being part of their core moving forward.

As a Rangers fan looking at it from an Oilers perspective, no way they entertain this. Zucc may be a good target for them...I think he'd be a great fit for McDavid's wing, he's an excellent leader, and the exact type of guy Edmonton should want in their locker room. But I don't think they'd be willing to part with Puljujarvi or Klefbom for him.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
Not sure if Fourth Period is a good source? They mentioned Oilers would entertain offers for Oscar. The Oilers need wingers .

To Oilers .....Zuke and Kreider

To Rangers...Poolparty and Oscar

I believe Kreider is best player out of the 4. We try to develop Poolparty. Oilers use Zuke for the year and make a playoff push and decide if he is worth resigning. Oscar cost controlled potential top 4? Rangers sign JVR to replace Kreider.

Wouldn't trade Kreider for Klefbom in a million years. Puhlease. Rangers just acquired 3 talented defenseman prospect near NHL ready. Unlike the Oilers, they have a solid track record developing defenseman. They also have a ton of high picks in a deep draft for defenseman. Easy pass.

Reactions: bernmeister

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Wouldn't trade Kreider for Klefbom in a million years. Puhlease. Rangers just acquired 3 talented defenseman prospect near NHL ready. Unlike the Oilers, they have a solid track record developing defenseman. They also have a ton of high picks in a deep draft for defenseman. Easy pass.

tenor.gif

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Next word out of your mouth is Draisaitl, isn't it?
If I had 25 cents for the # of deals proposed for Drai from other teams
Didn't say anything about Draisaitl.

However, it's been reported on the Rangers beat that Lundqvist, Chytil, and Kreider are untouchable.

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018

Sad our own fan base doesn't know our history. Staal, Stralman, Girardi, Rosival, McDonagh, Skjei. This with barely any first round picks. Stralman and Rosival were considered nothing before NY developed them. Amazing how our own fans discount that their team was one of the best defensive teams in hockey for a decade, yet they still think all the defenseman stunk. Typical though. They have given the forwards on this team a pass for about 12 years.

When the Oilers can actually put together a defenseman core that can keep the puck out of their net, wake me. The facts don't lie. Their team has been awful defensively for a decade. I'm pretty sure if their defenseman were any good, that wouldn't be the case.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
any deal for Klefbom probably has to involve a down-the-road replacement, i.e. one of Pionk/Gilmour/DeAngelo

Zucc + 1 of the aforementioned D men

for

Klefbom + 2nd/3rd to even it out

Reactions: Dan Kelly

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
any deal for Klefbom probably has to involve a down-the-road replacement, i.e. one of Pionk/Gilmour/DeAngelo

Zucc + 1 of the aforementioned D men

for

Klefbom + 2nd/3rd to even it out

Take the 2nd/3rd out. I think the Rangers are pretty high on Pionk, I don't know if they would consider moving him at this point. Gilmour is the only LHD in the group to actually replace Klefbom's position.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Sad our own fan base doesn't know our history. Staal, Stralman, Girardi, Rosival, McDonagh, Skjei. This with barely any first round picks. Stralman and Rosival were considered nothing before NY developed them. Amazing how our own fans discount that their team was one of the best defensive teams in hockey for a decade, yet they still think all the defenseman stunk. Typical though. They have given the forwards on this team a pass for about 12 years.

When the Oilers can actually put together a defenseman core that can keep the puck out of their net, wake me. The facts don't lie. Their team has been awful defensively for a decade. I'm pretty sure if their defenseman were any good, that wouldn't be the case.

Stralman came in as a free agent and looked good. So we re-signed him. Perhaps he didn't showcase his talent elsewhere, but we didn't "develop" him. You're reaching on that one. For Rosival, he played 4 seasons with the Penguins prior to joining us and wasn't exactly a turd on the ice. We got him around his prime age, and his TOI increased with the lack of depth we had on defense. McDonagh was traded to us, spent little time in our development and never looked back. I suppose you can make the argument that we turned him into a captain #1, etc. Guys like Staal, Girardi, Skjei and Sauer are better examples.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Take the 2nd/3rd out. I think the Rangers are pretty high on Pionk, I don't know if they would consider moving him at this point. Gilmour is the only LHD in the group to actually replace Klefbom's position.

Gilmour sucks though. He's a really, really fast skater, but that's all he has.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think there may be a deal here, but Kreider is untouchable unless the return is laughable.

Same with Klefbom. I think it's ridiculous that he's even included in any proposals that are sideways moves. One of the few bargain contracts the Oilers have, a Dman not yet in his prime that has already played at a top pairing level at times in his career and still has room for growth.

If I'm the GM, I'm not trading that guy unless it's an offer that I can't refuse. Unfortunately, Chia is the GM so I expect Klefbom to the Isles for Nelson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad