Speculation: Oscar Klefbom to NYR

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I could cope with Zucc + some later pick for Klefbom (+some little maybe too)

No way in hell would I want Kreider traded. Same for Zucc, but he kinda is next in line, considering cashing in on vets.

He's part of the team's lifeforce though. I'm actually fine with the assets and such we have amassed.
We can draft a good RHD this year. No need to give up any futures, but Klefbom is nice.

RHD depth: Shatty, ADA, Pionk, Kampfer, Sproul ... that's about it. Very thin.

Not even a little bit interested in a 30 year old free agent winger and a meh pick for a top 4 defenceman.

Reactions: Brock Radunske

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
dear lord why would the Oilers trade defense ?

Peter Chiarelli.

And then sit back and watch as some of my fellow Oiler fans try and justify that the team is better off with Larsson+whichever 2nd line winger they get for Klefbom than they would be with Hall+Klefbom

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
No for the Rangers although I’d be interested in Klefbom, I think he’ll have a bounce back year. Not at the cost of Kreider though, he’s likely the next captain (if we decide to run with a captain next year) hes improves tremendously and has insane chemistry with Zibby.
Zucc could be had for a 1st

Reactions: bernmeister

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Not sure if Fourth Period is a good source? They mentioned Oilers would entertain offers for Oscar. The Oilers need wingers .

To Oilers .....Zuke and Kreider

To Rangers...Poolparty and Oscar

I believe Kreider is best player out of the 4. We try to develop Poolparty. Oilers use Zuke for the year and make a playoff push and decide if he is worth resigning. Oscar cost controlled potential top 4? Rangers sign JVR to replace Kreider.
So NYR get two cost control young players and EDM gets
Zuccarello 30 yrs old UFAafter next season
Kreider 2 yrs left UFA
I would like Kreider but not for that package

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I don't like this deal for either team. Rangers need to improve on the wing. We'd have Klef, Staal, Shatty, Pionk, Smith, Skjei, DeAngelo and a few prospects who will be competing for a bottom spot. If we're going to trade wingers for a Defensemen, somebody has to go.

Reactions: Ori

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
The Oilers will likely have to bite on something and wave goodbye to at least one good young piece that fans may not like to see go, and Klefbom has to be at least on the table, but this particular deal here I would not do if I were them. They'd be dealing two very good players at the beginning of their careers, and selling low.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The Oilers will likely have to bite on something and wave goodbye to at least one good young piece that fans may not like to see go, and Klefbom has to be at least on the table, but this particular deal here I would not do if I were them. They'd be dealing two very good players at the beginning of their careers, and selling low.

we already took the hit with the Hall trade--wont and do not need to it again

tjcurrie

Aug 4, 2010
Gibbons, Alberta
we already took the hit with the Hall trade--wont and do not need to it again

I don't mean loss, but rather deal a good young piece. If they hope to improve at all now via the trade market, it'll have to happen. Sekera won't fetch what they need, neither will Caggiula, or Montoya.

Only other option is for Chiarelli to unload some money, and dip into the UFA market. Without looking at their financials going forward, I'm not sure what they could afford as it stands.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I fully understand. If I'm EDM, no way do I even consider trading him. What happened to him and Larsson this season?

For 20 games to start the season the entire team sucked.

Klefbom just had surgery to remove 20+ bone chips in his shoulder - the kid was playing through quite a bit of pain and it really affected his offense.

Larsson was Larsson - a physical, punishing #2 defenceman with limited offense. His father died quite suddenly in-season which obviously affected him a great deal.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
I dislike both of these fanbases equally (mostly in good fun), which is why it's hard for me to say this is kinda terrible for Edm if either Klefbom or Puljujaarvi come even close to reaching their potential (with the Oilers, I consider this highly unlikely). Also the Oilers need Wingers? That's fine, I only thought the Oilers needed competent Dmen since, oh forever.

Hall --> Larsson, Klefbom --> Kreider/Zuccarello. That's so Oilers.

I dont think so.

Kreider is more valuable than Klefbom and it would take more than him to get Kreider from NYR

Reactions: bernmeister

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Lol oilers are in DIRE need of top 4 dmen. At least give them that pionk kid if you take klefbom.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
we take a flyer on Klef at the right price, otherwise not interested
Puulj is not yet all that and a bag of chips -- he has potential to get there, but that remains to be seen, esp as to skating. He's not a mere throw in, but he is nowhere near Kreider or guarantee of Kreider on elc

Zuc for Fox + Cal 2019 1st is smarter

The deal here is not OP
but
Zib Skjei + Andersson
for
OEL + AZ 2018 unprotected

then

OEL + DeAngelo
for
EDM 2018, 2019 1sts unprotected + Puul + Klef

and if Oil don't want that, fine
Leafs etc will pay for OEL

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
we take a flyer on Klef at the right price, otherwise not interested
Puulj is not yet all that and a bag of chips -- he has potential to get there, but that remains to be seen, esp as to skating. He's not a mere throw in, but he is nowhere near Kreider or guarantee of Kreider on elc

Zuc for Fox + Cal 2019 1st is smarter

The deal here is not OP
but
Zib Skjei + Andersson
for
OEL + AZ 2018 unprotected

then

OEL + DeAngelo
for
EDM 2018, 2019 1sts unprotected + Puul + Klef

and if Oil don't want that, fine
Leafs etc will pay for OEL

I’m sorry what in the actual f***?

You rob Arizona blind then turn around a rob the Oilers blind for FAR MORE than you gave up?

Sweet Jesus no.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I’m sorry what in the actual ****?

You rob Arizona blind then turn around a rob the Oilers blind for FAR MORE than you gave up?

Sweet Jesus no.

does not rob AZ blind.
taking into account age, salary, term and righty shot for a guy who can C or W, Zib is a solid core for return
Skjei is not chopped liver
Andersson was 7OA. While the AZ pick COULD hit 1OA, it could hit 4OA.
Unless it is Dahlin at 1OA, which is a small risk, even with this year being a supposedly deeper draft and returning a potentially better player, Andersson is a good down payment vs the potential of pick 2-4OA, and he is available immediately as elc.
Skjei just entering RFA.
AZ wants to take next step and contend. My deal accelerates that. Other than Dahlin, the 2018 1st has to go to the farm for a bit.

As to reaming the Oilers on the return,
McD got 2018 1st, 2019 2nd that can morph into a 1st, and 2 solid prospects +. And we all agree OEL > McD.

There is a risk/reward scenario on OEL, and if Oilers don't want to pay it, fine, someone else will. But as explained it could help straighten out your back end enough to have a shot at Karlsson as UFA.

I don't blame you when LeoDrai first came up he was a mess for about 2 months, then got his bearings, and look at him now. Puulj is taking longer, fine. He clearly has something to offer and is likely to make it as an NHL player, although it is fair to note concern about his skating to date.

He could be a Drai lite, or he could be another Sam Reinhart.
If you want to wait, fine, and we can discuss his value at another time. But we are not assuming at this point he turns into the better scenario if we have to pay to find out.

And give McDavid and Draisatil are off limits, which they should be, there is not much else other than the picks and Poolparty that are of interest.

Klefbom was nice, solid enough, but not world class defender.
He then got injured. Nobody's fault, just reality.
You always hope a guy returns, esp if he was not a bum in the first place.
Modern medicine is a good thing, but sometimes athletes do not measure up to their former selves upon a return. Again, given that reality, RD v lefty supply and demand, and upside of DeA, while I would not today swap them 1:1 it is not unreasonable given the totality of the deal, incl Oil need to come up with player for cap balance.

If you're married to Klef, I'd consider Nurse w/his slightly smaller $ adequate.
Sekera is too banged up and already immobile.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
does not rob AZ blind.
taking into account age, salary, term and righty shot for a guy who can C or W, Zib is a solid core for return
Skjei is not chopped liver
Andersson was 7OA. While the AZ pick COULD hit 1OA, it could hit 4OA.
Unless it is Dahlin at 1OA, which is a small risk, even with this year being a supposedly deeper draft and returning a potentially better player, Andersson is a good down payment vs the potential of pick 2-4OA, and he is available immediately as elc.
Skjei just entering RFA.
AZ wants to take next step and contend. My deal accelerates that. Other than Dahlin, the 2018 1st has to go to the farm for a bit.

As to reaming the Oilers on the return,
McD got 2018 1st, 2019 2nd that can morph into a 1st, and 2 solid prospects +. And we all agree OEL > McD.

There is a risk/reward scenario on OEL, and if Oilers don't want to pay it, fine, someone else will. But as explained it could help straighten out your back end enough to have a shot at Karlsson as UFA.

I don't blame you when LeoDrai first came up he was a mess for about 2 months, then got his bearings, and look at him now. Puulj is taking longer, fine. He clearly has something to offer and is likely to make it as an NHL player, although it is fair to note concern about his skating to date.

He could be a Drai lite, or he could be another Sam Reinhart.
If you want to wait, fine, and we can discuss his value at another time. But we are not assuming at this point he turns into the better scenario if we have to pay to find out.

And give McDavid and Draisatil are off limits, which they should be, there is not much else other than the picks and Poolparty that are of interest.

Klefbom was nice, solid enough, but not world class defender.
He then got injured. Nobody's fault, just reality.
You always hope a guy returns, esp if he was not a bum in the first place.
Modern medicine is a good thing, but sometimes athletes do not measure up to their former selves upon a return. Again, given that reality, RD v lefty supply and demand, and upside of DeA, while I would not today swap them 1:1 it is not unreasonable given the totality of the deal, incl Oil need to come up with player for cap balance.

If you're married to Klef, I'd consider Nurse w/his slightly smaller $ adequate.
Sekera is too banged up and already immobile.

No. Nurse is even more unavailable than Klefbom.

If we want OEL, we’ll deal with Arizona before you slap your ranger tax on him.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Klefbom and Slepyshev for Kreider and DeAngelo. Rangers aren't getting Klef for much less.

Rangers have Skjei
+ 3 LD prospects sooner than later
Sean Day the following season

we don't need Klefbom, but I recognize he is a useful asset to add at the right price.

OP overrated how much we need/should pay for him

Whether or not EDM should go there or keep him is another story, esp since his value goes up if he proves for a yr + he is back in top form.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
No. Nurse is even more unavailable than Klefbom.

If we want OEL, we’ll deal with Arizona before you slap your ranger tax on him.

Knock yourself out.
We can say ballpark Andersson and Puulj are ballpark close.
But unless you put Drai on the table, you don't have enough to match Zib + Skjei
also AZ wants to push ahead now, futures alone will not cut it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->