Recalled/Assigned: Oscar Klefbom on (Regular) Recall; [UPD: Lander on Emergency Recall]

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Hall-Gordon-Yak
Hendricks-RNH-Eberle
Perron-Lander-Gagner
Gaz-Smyth-Joensuu

That's interesting actually, I don't mind that. But I was sort of hoping to see Lander just slide in for Gagner. He's proven he can score, alot, in the AHL and the Oilers are in position to see if he can do it at the next level.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
The thing though is if our first overalls live to their potential, sit around for the ride and we get McDavid we could have an incredible team
Hall - McDavid - Yakupov
Perron - RNH - Eberle
Moroz - Chase - Khaira
Gazdic - Hendricks - Pitlick

Ekblad - Nurse
Klefbom - Shultz
Marincin - Petry
Musil

Scrivens
Fasth/Brossoit

If all these guys play as well as projected we would have a killer line up. Sadly the chances of any of that happening is slim on top of the team wanting to sit thru it all

What about the 2 Russians Slepyshev and Yakimov. They looked good in the World Jr as well.

blupye*

Jul 6, 2011
Nova Scotia
I would keep Joensuu because he's signed for another year. We might as well let him work to solidify his role on the club. Hendricks is basically a Jones replacement. We should walk away from Jones this summer. We might as well give his spot to Lander if we are hoping to develop him into an NHLer

I think you are wrong on the Hendricks assessment. He has done everything asked off him and provided toughness and leadership. He is wearing an "A" already. This is a great trade for Dubnyk

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
I think you are wrong on the Hendricks assessment. He has done everything asked off him and provided toughness and leadership. He is wearing an "A" already. This is a great trade for Dubnyk

Agreed. I was really happy with the trade when it happened as Hendricks was someone I wanted the Oil to go after when he was a UFA.

I think he's worked out real well so far.

millpoo

Sep 26, 2006
ST. A
No Lander tonight.

Dallas Eakins
@dallaseakins
Same skaters expected. Scrivens in the pipes.

10:16am · 13 Mar 14 · Twitter for iPhone

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
According to reports in Swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, Lander is frustrated about the lack of opportunities with the Oilers and he's considering moving back to Europe. Russia, Switzerland and Sweden are thought to be possible destinations for next season.

His agent didn't have much to comment, other then that he was happy with the amount of interest in his client, while also mentioning that Oilers are interested in negotiating an extension.

That would really piss me off if he went to Europe without getting a fair shot on the Oilers. That's a real black mark on Eakins and management.

We have a **** team, yet we cant give minor league players auditions to see what we have. Then those players move on to other teams while we are stuck with Smyth and Jones, like we have been for the past 2 years.

Gagner (although having 3 good games recently) continues to be spoon fed prime 2c minutes. Meanwhile Arco and Lander are ripping up the AHL and get no time.

If Lander wants a 1 way contract next season, we absolutely have to give it to him. Even if theres no top six room, we can slot him on the 3rd line on the wing.

Landers development has been embarrassing. Young, promising center stuck on the 4th line early in career, burning valuable development years. Then he isn't given a legit shot in the a decent role when he preforms in the AHL

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
That would really piss me off he went to Europe without getting a fair shot on the Oilers. That's a real black mark on Eakins and management.

We have a **** team, yet we cant give minor league players auditions to see what we have. Then those players move on to other teams while we are stuck with Smyth and Jones, like we have been for the past 2 years.

Gagner (although having 3 good games recently) continues to be spoon fed prime 2c minutes. Meanwhile Arco and Lander are ripping up the AHL and get no time.

If Lander wants a 1 way contract next season, we absolutely have to give it to him. Even if theres no top six room, we can slot him on the 3rd line on the wing.

Landers development has been embarrassing. Young, promising center stuck on the 4th line early in career, burning valuable development years. Then he isn't given a legit shot in the a decent role when he preforms in the AHL

Agreed. Drop that bum Gagner to #3 RW for a bit at the very least so we can try Lander and see if he can translate his game to the NHL. Or Arco. Either. Both. Don't matter at this point.

This is a desperate attempt to win as many games as possible by a coach feeling the heat to lose his job.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agreed. Drop that bum Gagner to #3 RW for a bit at the very least so we can try Lander and see if he can translate his game to the NHL. Or Arco. Either. Both. Don't matter at this point.

This is a desperate attempt to win as many games as possible by a coach feeling the heat to lose his job.

:facepalm:

Yeah, clearly coaching for his job and not, you know, just trying to win games, like coaches tend to do.

Edit: If I missed the :sarcasm:, ma bad brah.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
:facepalm:

Yeah, clearly coaching for his job and not, you know, just trying to win games, like coaches tend to do.

Edit: If I missed the :sarcasm:, ma bad brah.

Yea, I don't get it either. Lets take one of our hottest players in the last 10-15 games and demote him to the 3rd line for an unproven rookie. :help: That Hall-Gagner-Perron line has looked the best out of any line we've seen this season. If anyone should be getting the boot down the line up it's golden boy RNH.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yea, I don't get it either. Lets take one of our hottest players in the last 10-15 games and demote him to the 3rd line for an unproven rookie. :help: That Hall-Gagner-Perron line has looked the best out of any line we've seen this season. If anyone should be getting the boot down the line up it's golden boy RNH.

Pretty much, the Nuge should get a TON of rope, because he will be a great player, he's just struggling this year.

As for Lander, I'd like to see them get him in, but you only pull/move Gagner if he's hurt, he's been playing well, he should comfortably keep his spot.

Oct 30, 2011
so, what's the rule with call-ups?

We switched Klefbom to normal call-up, so we could switch Lander...

how many more guys can we call up?

Do we need the guise of injury? Do they have to be emergency to begin with?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
so, what's the rule with call-ups?

We switched Klefbom to normal call-up, so we could switch Lander...

how many more guys can we call up?

Do we need the guise of injury? Do they have to be emergency to begin with?

I think the team has a max of 4 "regular" call ups for the rest of the season, Klefbom and Larsen are 2 of those, and emergency is under the "guise" of an injury or a player who might be injured, see Gagner, it gives them an extra call up that doesn't impact the 4 regular ones.

Or that's my piss poor interruptation, lol

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I think the team has a max of 4 "regular" call ups for the rest of the season, Klefbom and Larsen are 2 of those, and emergency is under the "guise" of an injury or a player who might be injured, see Gagner, it gives them an extra call up that doesn't impact the 4 regular ones.

Or that's my piss poor interruptation, lol

That's correct, the other main difference between 'emergency' and 'regular' I believe is that an emergency callup can only directly replace the player injured...he can't replace anyone else.

McRobbiezyg

Oct 21, 2007
That would really piss me off if he went to Europe without getting a fair shot on the Oilers. That's a real black mark on Eakins and management.

This year has been an incredible developmental year for Lander. This year he showed he could put up points in the AHL while playing a two-way game.. i'm sure he will get a couple games in before the end of the season. Next year, he can show whether or not he can sink or swim in the NHL

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That's correct, the other main difference between 'emergency' and 'regular' I believe is that an emergency callup can only directly replace the player injured...he can't replace anyone else.

So, basically, regular calls up give you Roster flexibility where as Emergency Call ups only fill out your roster, I like the design of that from a roster management perspective, well done NHL.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Aftonbladet... Leaving Bjurman aside they are a bunch of *** *****.

Of course Lander aims at playing in the NHL/Oilers. Of course there are teams in Europe who knows that his contract is expiring. Of course his agent will say that it is good that there is interest (adding that EDM has indicated that they are interested in an extension and that Lander will wait for those negotiations to finish before anything else...).

No one can say they wrote complete BS but at the same time this is all about putting the pieces of information together in a way that people think he is not happy in EDM and wants to come back. Horoscope-style journalism.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Aftonbladet... Leaving Bjurman aside they are a bunch of *** *****.

Of course Lander aims at playing in the NHL/Oilers. Of course there are teams in Europe who knows that his contract is expiring. Of course his agent will say that it is good that there is interest (adding that EDM has indicated that they are interested in an extension and that Lander will wait for those negotiations to finish before anything else...).

No one can say they wrote complete BS but at the same time this is all about putting the pieces of information together in a way that people think he is not happy in EDM and wants to come back. Horoscope-style journalism.

If you're Lander, you see where you stand with the team, maybe sign a 1 yr deal if they (the Oilers) aren't sure, because he's already invested all this time and he's still very young.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I found the (real) interview on which the other article is based. Maybe it should be in the Lander thread but since the it has been brought up here I thought I'd put it here.

When we reach Anton Lander he has just finished the morning practice with his team the Oklahoma City Barons. Later in the evening OKC beats San Antonio 5-2, team Captain Anton Lander scored 1 goal and 2 assists and was one of the three stars of the night. Lander has scored 48 points in 43 games so far this season.

- In terms of my development this has been my best year over here, I have become a better hockey player with respect to the last two years. I have developed my offensive game and the coach has shown trust and given me responsibility by letting me play in all situations.

- Now I am doing my last year of this contract and I really want to push as hard as I can. When I was sent down after TC they told me why, and that has remained in my head ever since.

What was the reason they sent you down, what did they tell you?

- Among other things it was about me being to careful, they told me that it looked like I was holding back and being too careful. I think that was spot on, I didn't want to make any mistakes so I tried to play solid and safe. Maybe that was not the right way to play for making the team.

Despite that Lander believes he is playing the best hockey since he came over in 2011/2012.

- Part of it is that I feel fresh and healthy, I create scoring chances, feel good playing defense and I am winning face offs. Looking at the complete picture I think I am a better player right now than during the last two years.

Despite that he has only played 12 games in the NHL this season, compared with 56 in his first year.

- I am not claiming to be an NHL player yet, but it would be great to be allowed to come up now to show them, and myself, what I can do and where I am. I can not complain that I have not gotten my chances, because I have been given opportunities, but it would be great to come back up now seeing as my contract is expiring and I think it would be good for the team, and for myself, to understand where I am in my development.

Do you think about your future, and if yes, how?

- Of course one has to consider that, and think about what to do, personally I do not know right now. I am fighting and will continue to fight during the remainder of this season in Edmonton or in Oklahoma and show everyone that I can be a player in the NHL. After that I have the summer to think about what I want to do based on the options I have.

Is playing in Europe an option?

- I want to play in the NHL, but I have to understand what my options are.

He has not spoken about his future with Edmonton yet, and right now he has no intention to because he is fully focused on the season. In the AHL he is chasing a playoff spot with Oklahoma.

- Lately we have been playing really good and we are heading into a tough and important phase of the season right now to reach the playoffs.

At the same time he is doing everything he can to get another chance in Edmonton before his contract expires. On Wednesday Lander was recalled again. It remains to be seen if he will get any ice time in the game against St Louis this night.

- I can only do my best and give it my all, then it is up to others to decide where and when I am playing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad