Orr speaks out on CBA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
I dont know if it will help, but this is what needs to be done. Great players who's words carry alot of weight in the hockey world need to start expressing their views. When guys like Orr, Howe, Gretzky and other like them talk, people listen. They (owners and players) need to realize Joe Fan doesn't want to hear about Billionaire owners fighting with Millionaire players over money. Especially when most are having a hard time making ends meat today.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Bobby Orr should be Gary Bettman's replacement... as to who to get to replace Knob Goodenow... how about Lanny MacDonald... maybe then once people who CARE about the GAME, could get a deal done!!! :banghead: :mad:

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
BLONG7 said:
Bobby Orr should be Gary Bettman's replacement... as to who to get to replace Knob Goodenow... how about Lanny MacDonald... maybe then once people who CARE about the GAME, could get a deal done!!! :banghead: :mad:

Mark my words, Wayne Gretzky will replace Bettman after this is over.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
BLONG7 said:
That would be AWESOME!!! :yo: :banana:

I've been predicting this since January. Last week a guy from the Calgary Herald stole my idea.

If you think about it, it makes perect sense.

1. If the owners cave in (which they will) someone will need to take the heat. Betman will be fired.

2. The NHL will need massive amounts of PR after a long lockout. Gretzky is the only hockey player everybody knows. He's popular and respected.

3. Gretzky now has experience on the ownership side of things with Phoenix. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if the league encouraged him to become an owner, so he could take over one day.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
hockeytown9321 said:
3. Gretzky now has experience on the ownership side of things with Phoenix. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if the league encouraged him to become an owner, so he could take over one day.

It would be nice to see him hold that job but I am sure he would have to give up his ownership of the Yotes first. To many conflicks of interest there. Not sure if he would want to give that up.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
justapantherfan said:
It would be nice to see him hold that job but I am sure he would have to give up his ownership of the Yotes first. To many conflicks of interest there. Not sure if he would want to give that up.

Maybe not, Bud Selig maintained his ownership in the Brewers, and his family still owns them.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
HABitual said:
Let's lock Bettman and Goodenow in a room alone with Orr and see who survives...or who doesn't ;)
Or without Orr.

Just lock the door good.

It'd be like Pat Verbeek and Gary Suter in the corner.

Nasty.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Vlad The Impaler said:
It's ironic to see Orr whine like that.

As a player's agent, he's part of the problem.

I don't know about that; any specific cases of Orr being exceptionally greedy with his clients? Not every player agent is a scoundrel. If an agent wasn't trying to squeeze out the most he can for his client he isn't doing a very good job. It is when they try squeezing out what they can't that is wrong.

YellHockey*

Vlad The Impaler said:
It's ironic to see Orr whine like that.

As a player's agent, he's part of the problem.

As someone who is unilaterally backing the owners, you're a bigger part of the problem then someone who is one of the most respected guys in hockey.

Having been ripped off by his own agent, I suspect he became an agent so that he could help ensure other players don't get taken advantage of.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
BlackRedGold said:
As someone who is unilaterally backing the owners, you're a bigger part of the problem then someone who is one of the most respected guys in hockey.

He's respected for what he accomplished on the ice.

Not because he became a greedy ******* later.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Rob Paxon said:
If an agent wasn't trying to squeeze out the most he can for his client he isn't doing a very good job. It is when they try squeezing out what they can't that is wrong.

Unfortunately, those two sentences are not mutually exclusive.

That's what agents do. They try to get the most they can for their clients, by trying to squeeze what they can't get.

Happens all the time.

Schlep Rock

Feb 28, 2002
USA
Vlad The Impaler said:
Unfortunately, those two sentences are not mutually exclusive.

That's what agents do. They try to get the most they can for their clients, by trying to squeeze what they can't get.

Happens all the time.

And if player's didn't have agents... the owners would be squeezing the players. It's a two-way street and players need agents to survive in this game.

Very few go agent-less.

And no, not all the time do agents squeeze out what they can't get. Not all agents are pieces of garbage.

hotgoalie11565

Jun 5, 2004
Farmington, Minnesota
HABitual said:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=98204

Let's lock Bettman and Goodenow in a room alone with Orr and see who survives...or who doesn't ;)

Well, maybe not Bobby Orr. I was thinking some NHL tough guys from the late 80's or ealy 90's. Hmmm... I wonder what Basil Mc Rae, Shane Churla, Link Gaetz or Dave Semenko are up to right about now. It would be fun to see one of these guys beeyotch slap Goodenow or Gary The Snail Bettman if either one walks away from the negotiating table before a deal is done.
Heck, let's get Everett Sanipass out of Quebec for a while. He could beat some sense into Goodenow and Gary The Snail. Umm... you DO remember Everett Sanipass, don't you? :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad