OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

HJimm

I just can't see the reasoning behind Tampa wanting a AA franchise so far away from their AAA team but you never know.
Wheeling had the Thunderbirds when the E started back in 88 so I think that would be out. Houston in the AFL had the Thunderbears back in the 90's for a few years. It was a horrible logo.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Me whatever, how bout these then:

Orlando Eagles
Orlando IceCats
Orlando Firebirds

Eagles could be appropriate, as Florida has the 2nd largest population of bald eagles in the US. However, we've been beaten by the Colorado Eagles, now an active member of the ECHL.

Worcester IceCats, the former AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues, who played their last game in 2005. There's a potential issue with the Panthers, implying an affiliation that may not be there. Personally, I'm not a fan of any name that has 'ice' in front of it. Sounds bush league, IMO.

Firebirds seems to be available, but I'd rather be the Thunderbirds. Firebirds inevitably get linked to the phoenix, and the American west, which doesn't seem to Orlando-y.

I just can't see the reasoning behind Tampa wanting a AA franchise so far away from their AAA team but you never know.
Wheeling had the Thunderbirds when the E started back in 88 so I think that would be out. Houston in the AFL had the Thunderbears back in the 90's for a few years. It was a horrible logo.

I'd be okay with Thunderbirds being out. I'm not exactly crazy about the name, since it's so associated with a car (also like Firebird), and Thunderbirds in particular has this 40's-50's 'OMG! The Soviets are going to kill us all!' type feel.

As for the NHL-AAA-AA distance, see TB-Norfolk-Estero (Everblades) or Winnipeg-St. John's (NFL)-Colorado or NYR-Connecticut-Greenville (SC)

Last edited:

NHL Lady

Oct 22, 2011
Florida
Eagles could be appropriate, as Florida has the 2nd largest population of bald eagles in the US. However, we've been beaten by the Colorado Eagles, now an active member of the ECHL.

Worcester IceCats, the former AHL affiliate of the St. Louis Blues, who played their last game in 2005. There's a potential issue with the Panthers, implying an affiliation that may not be there. Personally, I'm not a fan of any name that has 'ice' in front of it. Sounds bush league, IMO.

Firebirds seems to be available, but I'd rather be the Thunderbirds. Firebirds inevitably get linked to the phoenix, and the American west, which doesn't seem to Orlando-y.

I'd be okay with Thunderbirds being out. I'm not exactly crazy about the name, since it's so associated with a car (also like Firebird), and Thunderbirds in particular has this 40's-50's 'OMG! The Soviets are going to kill us all!' type feel.

As for the NHL-AAA-AA distance, see TB-Norfolk-Estero (Everblades) or Winnipeg-St. John's (NFL)-Colorado or NYR-Connecticut-Greenville (SC)

Worcester is now the Sharks though...

That being said...

Here's a few more:

Orlando WarEagles
Orlando ThunderCats
Orlando Storm

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008

That being said...

Here's a few more:

Orlando WarEagles
Orlando ThunderCats
Orlando Storm

This x1000000000 please! So many possibilities!!!

thundercats-logo_1224728473.jpg

Also where do I go to apply for the GM and/or Assistant GM job? :naughty:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

That being said...

Here's a few more:

Orlando WarEagles
Orlando ThunderCats
Orlando Storm

WarEagles IMO, comes off as an almost political type name, with a definite conservative slant.

Thundercats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_Thundercats. I'm not sure that would even count, as the league's name has been owned by the NBA since 1976. It took the new ABA ten years to get a cease-and-desist letter.

Storm can't work because Tampa Bay hosts an arena football team called that. There was also a long time ECHL team. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_Storm

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Ok, how about the Orlando Wildfire? lol

We call our mascot 'Fire Fly'.

What are those (wildfires, not fireflies) usually caused by, if not kids playing with matches? and we've been having a lot of those.

Imagine the promotions!

Weather related sometimes has cool, though nonsensical potential names like 'Anvil Crawlers'.

I'm sort of liking 'Orlando Surge' more and more though.

edit:
Orlando Otters
Orlando Hammerheads

Last edited:

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Orlando Wizards
Orlando Thunder
Orlando Mockingbirds
Orlando Sharks
Orlando Hammerheads
Orlando Surge
Orlando Cranes
Orlando Egrets

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Orlando Wizards
Orlando Thunder

Orlando Mockingbirds
Orlando Sharks
Orlando Hammerheads
Orlando Surge
Orlando Cranes
Orlando Egrets

Bold - can't be done due to conflicting names
Underlined - unlikely

For Surge, I forgot about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mississippi_Surge

Hammerheads is something I've thought about, but Orlando is inland, not that it really matters much, but saltwater animals seem like a bit of a stretch. There was the 'Florida Hammerheads' (Coral Gables) that played from 92-94 in the RHI. And also the Jacksonville Hammerheads who were in the SEHL in 2000. Both are coastal cities however.

We've got Sea World, though, so anything goes.

'A' names seem to work pretty well. Orlando Anvil could be a cool logo. With Thor's hammer and all that.

I was also thinking it'd be kind of interesting to have 'complete dominance' thing going on with the Lightning (sky), Admirals (sea), and ECHL Orlando (land).

If we can't be Solar or Polar Bears, we do have a **** load of Black Bears in the area, and it seems like whatever happens, we're going to keep coming back to bear names.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
SeaBlades™
Again with the 'Sea' thing. 'Blades' seems available, but Orlando is also noted for a recent rise in homicides. Might not be the wisest choice. 'Blades' was actually the winner of the fan vote for what became the San Jose Sharks, but they avoided it for the same type of reason. Of course, California in the early 90's was a specific situation.

O-Town Ice SolarBears.

This, I could get behind. Maybe add a 'z' so it's edgy.

It's like whenever they talk about Montreal getting another team, and someone suggests Wandererz or Maroonz.

It could still use a little something.

O-Town Icetreme SolarBearz?

It did make me think of the 'Orlando Chill'. Which has kind of that type of thing going, but without the overt 'x-tremeness'.

We can still have like a polar bear wearing sunglasses on a skateboard, riding a wave.

reminded me of this:

I checked, because I vaguely remembered a team called the 'Chill', and the ECHL hosted the Columbus (OH) Chill from 91-99.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
They should be the Orlando Rats since Disney owns that city.

The city, but not the team, and since they're not making putting anything into a team here, they'll sue. It's also similar to Albany's old team name, the River Rats, but since they were AHL, and don't have that name anymore...it still won't happen.

Orlando Mice Solarbearz

Orlando MiceBearz

I also like the singular, the Orlando Mouse. (but not really)

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad