OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Get Seaworld to sponsor the team then they can be the Orlando Orcas

Believe it or not, during the days when future Seals fans were wondering what the team was going to be called. That was probably my single favorite name. Can't say the same now.

I knew even then it wouldn't work in reality. Too many people would call them the 'Orchids'.

Doctor Drej

Unregistered User
Jan 10, 2009
The Quiet Room
Well, the meeting ended like an hour ago, so I guess it was approved.

Actually, it was approved relatively early on when they basically grouped everything together for a single vote before focusing on proposals to re-gerrymander the districts and such.

This team needs a name.

Obviously Solar Bears is the best choice. If RDV absolutely won't part with it, I don't want to be the Seals.

The first season was good, but too much of the team's history is just conflicted. Getting locked out of two arenas, eventually folding midseason. Jim Paek, Waronker, Lucia, etc. Bleh. I don't want to go back there.

About the only person I'd want back from those days is Stan Drulia, who is coaching the ECHL's Wheeling Nailers. Former Bolt, and from his time with the Seals, showed a penchant for relatively unconventional tactics.

If we're affilated with the Lightning, I could see being called the Thunder. Then we could go twinsies on slogans and so on.

Would bring whole new meaning to the "Be The Thunder" slogan. In that, you could play for the ECHL team.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I like the Gulls. There was a super minor league team that played in Pinellas called the Gulls for like a season. Not even sure what league they were part of. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Would bring whole new meaning to the "Be The Thunder" slogan. In that, you could play for the ECHL team.

Well, the ECHL isn't that far down the list, but it is at the point where sometimes you just have to take anybody who will fit in the sweater.

IdealisticSniper

Nov 9, 2008
Well, the ECHL isn't that far down the list, but it is at the point where sometimes you just have to take anybody who will fit in the sweater.

This does bring up a question I have. Dont know if you know the answer. How do they fill the team? Obviously if the Lightning affiliate they will get some bodies that way, but after that? Open tryouts? Some type of expansion draft for ECHL contracted players?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
This does bring up a question I have. Dont know if you know the answer. How do they fill the team? Obviously if the Lightning affiliate they will get some bodies that way, but after that? Open tryouts? Some type of expansion draft for ECHL contracted players?

Whoever they can get from affiliates, and then after that, free agents.

I don't know the real number, but like 99% of minor leaguers are on one-year contracts.

A two-year deal in the ECHL is like some gargantuan DiPietro contract.

What I meant by my previous comment was more like looking at the Lightning's defensemen crisis from a few years ago as the Norfolk Admirals. Then image their affiliate. If that team has their own problems, they're screwed.

It's a 3-story outhouse sometimes, but at least the ECHL team has more freedom than the AHL affiliate to get the guys that they want.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Open tryouts in the ECHL, CHL, SPHL, and FHL are usually money grabs first, find players 2nd.

For instance: Pensacola just co-hosted a free agent camp and coach wasn't really expecting many players they ended up taking 6 guys which bumped the training camp roster up to about 25. They've since made cuts and brought in a goalie and the roster now stands at 19 with one goalie to be cut. A few guys made it from the free agent camp made it to rosters now but most were cut at the various stages.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Open tryouts in the ECHL, CHL, SPHL, and FHL are usually money grabs first, find players 2nd.

For instance: Pensacola just co-hosted a free agent camp and coach wasn't really expecting many players they ended up taking 6 guys which bumped the training camp roster up to about 25. They've since made cuts and brought in a goalie and the roster now stands at 19 with one goalie to be cut. A few guys made it from the free agent camp made it to rosters now but most were cut at the various stages.

Not too surprising. There are also a few placement camps, like Elmira's.

In the world of sports agents, people are always talking about the few high-profile clients who have enormous demand.

The sheer volume of players being represented is overlooked.

There's also not a tremendous amount of negotiating that goes on in those discussions.

If a team is willing to sign a guy straight away, they start up the fax machines and the guy generally signs for whatever the team is offering. There may be wiggle room, there may not. Most guys on minor league contracts don't have tremendous leverage to ask.

That's where the notion that it's the agent's responsibility to get a deal that the client is satisfied with comes from, rather than maximizing the profit for the agent. Insisting on an extra $3,000 may be a complete deal breaker, and quite honestly, a waste of time, because a busy agent probably has a few dozen of these type of deals to hammer out.

The ECHL also maintains a directory of it's players, so every team knows who they need to call to find out about (player name). Of course, having a staff with a large network is beneficial as well.

If Orlando does become a Tampa Bay affiliate, I'd expect it to be more veteran, or more well connected at this level, than what happened in Tampa Bay and Norfolk, where relative newbs were brought in as coaches and GMs. Of course then, they'd also be benefiting from the affiliation. (for example, if a junior aged player pops out of eligibility, or a college player graduates, and they're not part of any NHL team's prospect pool, they may try to contact NHL or AHL teams first. And never forget that those NHL scouting reports need not go to waste.)

Recommendations can come down that way, and they know if a player is interested in making the higher club, they should also be okay with working for it first.

As for the team-led process of acquiring players, it's more like 'recruiting' than anything else. ECHL teams do have a few scouts, but I've been unable to find many specific details about them other than coverage areas.

If all else fails, (and this is in extreme circumstances) call up player agencies, and ask for their best available guys. It's a blind date at that point, but sometimes that's the quickest way to get enough players for the next game (without having to sign local elite beer league players) Especially if affiliates are taking a dump on you, and you've got injury problems of your own.

Situations like that usually don't happen in the ECHL nowadays though, as there is still the SPHL to feed them.

Last edited:

glennr

Oct 19, 2011
Transfer?

With several ECHL teams averaging less than 5000 in attendance per game, surely one of them is in financial trouble. Is a team transfer a possibility?

I wonder what the ticket prices will be, say in relation to the Everblades (sounds like a Ginsu Blade ad).

I also wonder if the Everblades will be able to keep there full name of Florida Everblades since there would be two ECHL teams in Florida.

As far as a name goes, I will always think that the biggest naming mistake was when the Minnesota North Stars moved to Dallas they should have renamed themselves to the Texas Lone Stars.

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
You've set the mark too high. Usually at the AA level if you draw 4k, you'll be ok. Yes it's possible for this Orlando team to be a relocation of an existing franchise but the league wants to grow a little bit and not remain stagnant or lose teams so the most likely scenario is the team will be an expansion team.

Why would Florida change now? They were the Florida Everblades back when there were 5 ECHL teams in the state (Florida, Jacksonville, Miami, Pensacola, and Tallahassee).

HJimm

Personally I like the Rockets. There's nothing pro in the A, E, C, or SP. Of course Kelowna has had that name for many years in the WHL but that is supposed to be considered amateur. A real nice logo could come out of that name. You wouldn't have to necessarily same Orlando you could name them the Space Coast Rockets. It's very old school.
Good thing about putting a team here there would be no shortage of players willing to sign. The Solar Bears found that out right away. Lot's of guys had no problem with a practice in the morning and a round of golf or laying on the beach (45 min east) in the afternoon. I talked to Todd Kryger who played 8 seasons in the NHL (Whalers,Caps,Ducks,Caps) and he said after no team was interested in 1998 he thought he was done. Several AHL teams were interested but when Bear's GM John Weisbrod called he said why not and spent his last two season here. We won't have a problem getting players even at the ECHL level.
I don't know if the Lighting would even want a team in Orlando let alone an affiliate. It's competition for ticket $$$ especially if they're a winner and we seem to get good teams here. It's unlikely the Bolts would actually put anyone here. Any players that would be assigned would be from the AHL affiliate although I know how Detroit runs things and all players who are in "the system" that move up or down from the Griffins/Walleye are announced by the Red Wings.

Go ROCKETS!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Personally I like the Rockets. There's nothing pro in the A, E, C, or SP. Of course Kelowna has had that name for many years in the WHL but that is supposed to be considered amateur. A real nice logo could come out of that name. You wouldn't have to necessarily same Orlando you could name them the Space Coast Rockets. It's very old school.
Good thing about putting a team here there would be no shortage of players willing to sign. The Solar Bears found that out right away. Lot's of guys had no problem with a practice in the morning and a round of golf or laying on the beach (45 min east) in the afternoon. I talked to Todd Kryger who played 8 seasons in the NHL (Whalers,Caps,Ducks,Caps) and he said after no team was interested in 1998 he thought he was done. Several AHL teams were interested but when Bear's GM John Weisbrod called he said why not and spent his last two season here. We won't have a problem getting players even at the ECHL level.
I don't know if the Lighting would even want a team in Orlando let alone an affiliate. It's competition for ticket $$$ especially if they're a winner and we seem to get good teams here. It's unlikely the Bolts would actually put anyone here. Any players that would be assigned would be from the AHL affiliate although I know how Detroit runs things and all players who are in "the system" that move up or down from the Griffins/Walleye are announced by the Red Wings.

Go ROCKETS!

Rockets is not my #1, but I do see the appeal. I wouldn't want to be called the "Space Coast" Rockets however. We have the Orlando name, which has worldwide recognition, and should use that to our advantage.

Like "Jets" it has a kind of a early 60's Mad Men type of vibe to it. 'Retro' sweaters could be especially cool.

But it's also not without precedent. In the old EHL (1933-73) Jacksonville hosted a team, beginning in 1964, called the "Jacksonville Rockets".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacksonville_Rockets

There was also 1966-68 where they played some of their games in St. Pete, and called themselves the "Florida" Rockets.

It wouldn't cause any confusion nowadays, but I'd almost rather leave it for a potential Jacksonville revival than take it for ourselves.

Random fact: Jacksonville hosted two minor league teams in 1995-96.

The difference could be split, and they end up going with the "Orlando Thunderbirds".

It has the old school type feel (too much so IMO). It includes thunder, but also bird. And the bird is the word.

I wouldn't want a team called the 'T-birds' though. Too cheese.

Thunder Pelicans FTW.

Last edited:

NHL Lady

Oct 22, 2011
Florida
I hope this will really become a reality. I miss going to hockey games and hopefully if this goes through, I hope to be a season tix holder or just go to ALOT more hockey games.

I think though IMO, they should get a diff name for the team. Meaning, lose the Solar Bears name and get something more badass to represent us.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I hope this will really become a reality. I miss going to hockey games and hopefully if this goes through, I hope to be a season tix holder or just go to ALOT more hockey games.

I think though IMO, they should get a diff name for the team. Meaning, lose the Solar Bears name and get something more badass to represent us.

What could possibly represent us more than the team we still talk about more than a decade after their last game?

It's the team of my childhood.

...But if RDV wants to take a **** on my childhood, and/or Haleski feels the standards of perfection that go along with that are impossible, how about the name Barracudas? I bring it up again only because it occurred to me that at the beginning of games, the crowd could go 'Release the Cudas!'.

Something appropriate about a team called the Barracudas skating around in circles during practice and warmups.

Their primary color would have to be blue, which lends itself to a Lightning affiliation, and panders to the Legends of the Hidden Temple crowd (read: Tyler and me) with the "Blue Barracudas". Also noting that the show was filmed at Nickelodeon Studios, near Orlando.

It also sounds like it has 'bear' in it.

The problem is that Jacksonville had a team named that. However, a lot of people didn't even know the Seals existed, so there shouldn't be much confusion here over it, and Jacksonville is 3 hours away. The people who will get mixed up are hockey fans familiar with the situation, and therefore, also likely to accurately know what's going on.

Last edited:

NHL Lady

Oct 22, 2011
Florida
Here are some other names I can think for Orlando's ECHL team:

Orlando Hawks
Orlando Warriors
Orlando Osprey

thats 3 I can think of now...

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
I'd rather the team avoid something generic (assuming there is a team). Solar Bears was a great, fun name for a Florida hockey team.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Here are some other names I can think for Orlando's ECHL team:

Orlando Hawks
Orlando Warriors
Orlando Osprey

thats 3 I can think of now...

Chicago Blackhawks.
Greenville Road Warriors (in the same division)
Osprey will never happen. It's sort of an odd bird. (heh, pun) Also similar to saying "us, prey". There will also be people who will misinterpret all of that to be a religious thing. The chant wouldn't help. "Let's. Go. Prey."

What could work is 'Seahawks' as that's what an Osprey is, it begins with 'S', and nobody is using it that matters. It's also unique enough that it doesn't step on the Blackhawks' toews.

It's either Thunder Pelicans, or Solar Barracudas, IMO. If the Solar Bears name can't be acquired.

I will literally weep tears of joy if that does happen, and then hound the team mercilessly to make sure they live up to it.

The Orlando Equators :sarcasm:
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orlando :sarcasm:

Last edited:

HJimm

This was the original EHL logo for the Rockets.

logo_img.php
GreensboroAtJacksonvilleSmall.jpg

Last edited:

NHL Lady

Oct 22, 2011
Florida
Chicago Blackhawks.
Greenville Road Warriors (in the same division)
Osprey will never happen. It's sort of an odd bird. (heh, pun) Also similar to saying "us, prey". There will also be people who will misinterpret all of that to be a religious thing. The chant wouldn't help. "Let's. Go. Prey."

What could work is 'Seahawks' as that's what an Osprey is, it begins with 'S', and nobody is using it that matters. It's also unique enough that it doesn't step on the Blackhawks' toews.

It's either Thunder Pelicans, or Solar Barracudas, IMO. If the Solar Bears name can't be acquired.

I will literally weep tears of joy if that does happen, and then hound the team mercilessly to make sure they live up to it.

The Orlando Equators :sarcasm:
The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim of Orlando :sarcasm:

Me whatever, how bout these then:

Orlando Eagles
Orlando IceCats
Orlando Firebirds

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad