OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well, the meeting ended like an hour ago, so I guess it was approved.

Actually, it was approved relatively early on when they basically grouped everything together for a single vote before focusing on proposals to re-gerrymander the districts and such.

This team needs a name.

Obviously Solar Bears is the best choice. If RDV absolutely won't part with it, I don't want to be the Seals.

The first season was good, but too much of the team's history is just conflicted. Getting locked out of two arenas, eventually folding midseason. Jim Paek, Waronker, Lucia, etc. Bleh. I don't want to go back there.

About the only person I'd want back from those days is Stan Drulia, who is coaching the ECHL's Wheeling Nailers. Former Bolt, and from his time with the Seals, showed a penchant for relatively unconventional tactics.

If we're affilated with the Lightning, I could see being called the Thunder. Then we could go twinsies on slogans and so on.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Just a few questions:

Did the city approve the lease for a team?

If yes does that mean they have an ECHL team or is there a separate application process that has to be done through the league?

What will the team be named?

Will the Lightning affiliate with them to help grow the sport in the state and expand their footprint in the Orlando area?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Just a few questions:

Did the city approve the lease for a team?

If yes does that mean they have an ECHL team or is there a separate application process that has to be done through the league?

What will the team be named?

Will the Lightning affiliate with them to help grow the sport in the state and expand their footprint in the Orlando area?

You've found most of these answers already. The team has not been named, as that may be a factor in an affiliation.

I'd imagine the Lightning would definitely investigate the idea of affiliation, if not already be on board. That may be a reason why we seem to have a smaller footprint with the Everblades this season and signed on with them so late.

The question remaining is, are they going to make me GM, or someone else?

50/50 chance. :sarcasm:

SgtJoseph*

I wish Pensacola still had an ECHL team up here on the panhandle to make it 3 Florida ECHL teams .We are stuck with the SPHL now, which is not near as talent rich as the ECHL is.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Stockton has the Thunder. "Richie Rich" Devos won't give up the Solar Bears name for nothing. I had heard he was asking $500k for the name last year.
Orlando Ospreys?

Bleh. I forgot about them.

Picking a name at this level is tricky, as it can't be anything also used by an AHL team, period. Or an NHL one, if you don't get an affiliation.

The fact that you've heard an asking price indicates that someone's asked. $500k is also what he was asking, not what he'd really sell it for. If he took that to Pawn Stars, they'd give him $50 for it. (got to leave some meat on the bone)

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Orlando Mockingbirds anyone?

I'm still not getting the Mockingbirds reference, unless you're referring to CDK's original comment.

There are two Admirals in the AHL so why not continue the tradition with the Thunder?

That happened when the remaining IHL teams merged into the AHL. Milwaukee had the older team, and so they were allowed to keep the name.

The Norfolk Ads actually got their start in the ECHL as the Hampton Roads Admirals. Same arena and everything.

The name I've had in my head the longest is 'Orlando Pelicans', but is that too beachy for inland Orlando?

It sucks, our main industry is tourism, with our second being aeronautics/aerospace (which is where I got the name 'Jets' from) but that won't do with Winnipeg back.

What's our third largest industry? Probably outlet malls.

There used to be an indoor soccer team called the 'Orlando Sharks', but they've been gone for a few years now. However, it is the name of the San Jose franchise, as well as their AHL affiliate in Worchester, MA.

Last edited:

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
If Tallahassee can have the Tiger Sharks and then almost have the Tide, I see no reason why Orlando can't be the Pelicans. At least Pelicans could theoretically get to Orlando.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Okay, the names that do not seem to cause any conflict or confusion.

Orlando Pelicans
Orlando Raiders
Orlando Tigers
Orlando Dragons
Orlando Hornets
Orlando Wolverines
Orlando Mustangs
Orlando Rockets
Orlando Lions

It's somewhat in Orlando's hockey history to have a team name that stars with 'S'. Solar Bears, Seals, and Surge.

The deviants are the Rollergators, and Jackals. Both roller hockey teams coincidentally. Although the Surge were too.

Orlando Seagulls? There used to be the San Diego Gulls, who actually made their way into the ECHL at one point, but haven't played since 2006.

Names that might be okay:
Polar Bears
Black Bears
Barracudas (a fan favorite to call the team that became the Seals, but was used by Jacksonville (ACHL/WHA2/SPHL). Now defunct)
Lightning (barring affiliation; there WILL be people confused by this, however)
Spiders (rumored name change for the non-existent WHA revival. Don't care for it myself.)
Intensity
Jets (a personal favorite, but with Winnipeg back...)
Armada (possibly too close to Admirals, as it refers to a naval fleet)
Chargers (the connotation is with electricity, but the term stems from the middle ages for a warhorse)
Cobras (the urge to call the coach/gm/captain/or myself 'Cobra Commander' may be too great)
Pythons :)
Surge (too soon? Very few remember they ever existed, naming rights could be issuematic)

Names that seem to be out:
Thunder - Stockton (ECHL)
Seals - history
Jackals - Elmira (ECHL)
Sharks - multiple
Storm - Tampa Bay, Toledo (ECHL)
Gators - Florida (NCAA)
Ice Gators - Lousiana (SPHL), also stupid.
Pirates - Portland (AHL)
Grizzlies - Utah (ECHL)
Knights - UCF (NCAA)
Warriors - too similar to Greenville (ECHL)
Bears (simply) - Hershey (AHL)
Cougars - modern connotation
Shock/Shockers - modern slang
Riptide - sounds like 'Rip Torn'
Express (named for the high-speed rail line between TB and Orlando that I hate and think is going to be a disaster, as well as the SunRail system planned - may be confusing when/if these things do open) - Chicago Express (ECHL)

I think putting 'Thunder' before something makes it 2x as good. Thunder Bears, Thunder Pelicans, Thundercats, etc.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad