OT: Orlando Solar Bears Thread - Baby I'm ready to go!

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Looking at the roster, I was surprised to see they traded Danis-Pepin after only 4 games. I thought he was a pretty big (relatively speaking) signing for them this summer, any reason why they would trade one of the first guys they sign so quickly?

Didn't know they picked up Toivenen. He used to be a big name prospect.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Looking at the roster, I was surprised to see they traded Danis-Pepin after only 4 games. I thought he was a pretty big (relatively speaking) signing for them this summer, any reason why they would trade one of the first guys they sign so quickly?

Didn't know they picked up Toivenen. He used to be a big name prospect.

The Solar Bears are unable to go more than 3 days without making a transaction. Much of that is due to Houston having injuries.

Danis-Pepin wasn't hugely impressive to me, either in camp or the lone game I saw him in, the home opener. Although he did score a goal.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Solar Bears have signed Ryan Reaves :)

Got a charging penalty.

I see that Kevin Baker has been 'called up', in Solar Bear parlance, to the Evansville Icemen.

If I can read too much into this, this move indicates that they believe the NHL season is done for as they replaced a guy who definetly works with a guy that may or may not. If the NHL does resume play, they'd be extra screwed.

While I do think that season is done for, I wouldn't have recommended they move Baker. I don't like all of Berehowsky's moves, just like I don't agree with many of the transactions that he's made. I know there's a cap and a budget and all, but at least get rid of some of the weak links first.

*sees Brett Lyon got released*

nvm.

EB4go.png

Are the Solar Bears going the hipster route and losing so they'll be 'underground' as in 'the basement'? Are they hoping that they'll be ironically liked?

Last edited:

tenpinsplit

Nov 9, 2005
Binghamton
greetings from binghamton ny! spent last friday night in elmira (about an hour from binghamton) watching the solar bears play. my brother in law is currently an intern with the team and i had the pleasure of sitting with Jason Siegel during the game. capped with a pre game catered dinner and a post game meet and greet with some players. even thought the solar bears lost it was a good time!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
greetings from binghamton ny! spent last friday night in elmira (about an hour from binghamton) watching the solar bears play. my brother in law is currently an intern with the team and i had the pleasure of sitting with Jason Siegel during the game. capped with a pre game catered dinner and a post game meet and greet with some players. even thought the solar bears lost it was a good time!

How did they handle the loss?

I just saw that The Bear re-added Burnett and Levens.

The team needs to have as consistent a lineup as possible. Either Burnett and Levens are in, or they're out. None of this moonlighting crap. I expect that the guys wearing the sweater to be committed full time.

I get that sometimes a team just needs bodies, and in those cases, the taxi squad rarely, if ever, plays. They're for insurance, but that's not how this is. Just because this is a Mickey Mouse city, doesn't mean the hockey team should be be too.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
they didnt seem to be overly depressed by it. of course i had 6 tall cans of beer, so take my opinion with a grain of salt

I wouldn't want them depressed at a loss.

Glengarry Glen Ross feels appropriate right now

NSFW language btw, unless you're a professional hockey player

ABC: Always Be Competing

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/news/120512-jerseys.php
The Orlando Solar Bears announced today that they have been informed by the ECHL that Orlando has the league's top-selling jersey...
"Here at the League Office, we have been very impressed with the support the great hockey fans in Orlando and the surrounding communities have shown for the Solar Bears," said Todd Merton, Director of Marketing and Licensing for the ECHL. "Team jersey sales are a great indicator of how well a team has been welcomed into a market. With the Solar Bears being at the top of the league in jerseys sold, it is clear that the team has been welcomed back in a big way."

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I know it might be a little late, but who else saw these sweaters and thought :shakehead
45050_412678725474951_1880190981_n.jpg

I kind of like them. It probably could use another color, or a different shade of orange, but it's a 3rd jersey, so who gives a ****?

Here's another pic.
06ww5.jpg

It could have a Polar Bear wearing sunglasses somewhere in it, but for a retro style sweater, I could totally see that being the Solar Bears sweater in like the 30's.

I like the logo enough that the rest is secondary.

and given that the next two games, Orlando will be wearing pink sweaters, that was probably the best time, and performance, to unleash them.

The cancer awareness sweaters may be making the best of a bad situation as a colored sock might have gone in with the Bears whites. :sarcasm:

So I got NHL 13 for Christmas. I couldn't stomach playing it any earlier, (and I still have trouble) but when I was going through the rosters to create a Solar Bears team like I always do, besides the usual suspects who have survived since 2001, I got really excited to see new guys in the game for some reason, although I knew some of them would be there.

Scott Tanski? Nick Petersen? John Curry? Olivier Fortier? I know them! (well, I don't know them, but I've watched them play)

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
OSB to bid on 2015 ASG. Petersen selected as team's first All-Star.

http://orlandosolarbearshockey.com/news/010312-allstar.php

I'd prefer 2016 for one reason. People acquainted as much as I am with the team can probably figure out what that is.

Go on. Do it. Do. it.

When are the Lightning bidding on the NHL All-Star game? These years probably shouldn't overlap, unless Orlampa is just going to run the table one year, although I fear Orlando's game will suffer because of it.

b/c of the lockout ending Ryan Reaves has returned to the St. Louis Blues.

The Bear added Jonathan Juliano and Lee McClure. Looking at McClure's career, I can't say I'm impressed with him. He failed to make Pensacola (SPHL) on a try-out.

And although he got a shot with the Bloomington Blaze (CHL), he got shipped back after 0 pts in 9 games. I can't say I see the appeal of him on numbers alone.

We're going back there, aren't we?

24163411.jpg

nvm

I see this thread gets quite a bit of consistent traffic. I'm guessing that there's a need for content, but I don't know exactly what you guys want. Maybe the team should provide something worth writing about. They've got Bettman-like job security for a reason.

I didn't help will this team back into existence to see them lose.

6t3p9.jpg

Since I'm fixing the problems, how about injuries? I didn't buy all the injury time Lampman had, but I'm also not in the room, nor do I have the first hand experience with injury timelines, which the coaches would, but the amount of injuries is concerning, as I'm not seeing these injuries. I'm not seeing guys in pain. I'd think about maybe taking a look at the doctors themselves.

Let me give an example of where I'm coming from: http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...eks-to-put-health-problems-behind-him/1191323

and I don't even make it much of a secret I'm incredulous about chiropratic. It's recognized by neither the American or Canadian medical associations.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Don't they know who you are??

(What did you do?)

I'm not entirely sure what I did. I only had 5 posts on there and my last one was a list of suggestions for the boards themselves on a subforum specifically for suggestions. I could see how that could rub someone the wrong way, as it countered the philosophy I was seeing in practice.

I have my style, but it's rather tame for internet standards.

Besides that, it's not really my problem.

I could go to war over this, but I don't think the lulz I can get out of it are sufficient enough. It's an unofficial message board and they're entitled to run it as they see fit.

It would have been nice if I had been notified of this before I went to Russia, but it is what it is.

Anyway, enough of this nonsense.

Solar Bears are hosting a celebrity game and guess what? ****ing Bryan Trottier.
http://www.orlandosolarbearshockey.com/news/013113-begreatforkids.php

Keep in mind that if the Bears lose the game preceding this, I'll boo Berehowsky whenever he has the puck.

Last edited:

SEALVESTER

I'm not entirely sure what I did. I only had 5 posts on there and my last one was a list of suggestions for the boards themselves on a subforum specifically for suggestions. I could see how that could rub someone the wrong way, as it countered the philosophy I was seeing in practice.

I have my style, but it's rather tame for internet standards.

Besides that, it's not really my problem.

I could go to war over this, but I don't think the lulz I can get out of it are sufficient enough. It's an unofficial message board and they're entitled to run it as they see fit.

Huh, that's pretty strange. I didn't think those suggestions were unreasonable. It's not like there were any personal attacks or anything.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
The Bears sent out a pic of the setup before tonight's game.
BCIVTjFCIAEw6lk.jpg:large

It's worth noting that Ryan Cruthers has peanut butter in his stall.

I imagine he coats his fists with it in the case of him fighting a guy with a peanut allergy.

CaptBrannigan

Apr 5, 2006
Tampa
Any season ticket holders on here? I'm looking for someone who would help me acquire one of the Old Time jerseys the Bears wore. They're up for auction at a season ticket holder event occuring soon. Please get back to me if you're willing to help/iron out details. All costs by me of course plus some extra for the trouble. Thanks!

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I don't know the details, but given the information in the article, I think I can safely assume that alcohol was involved. It's not an excuse by any means, but it does explain his behavior.

Either way, the team made the right decision to cut ties with him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad