Orlando Magic co-founder pitching $1.7 billion stadium for MLB expansion or the Rays

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
I always considered Tampa and Orlando the same market/region. Why not just build the stadium and move the Rays inland?

With the Marlins giving up the “Florida” demarcation, the Florida Rays name still works, too.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I'm as pro expansion as they come, but ADDING Orlando to a league with Tampa and Miami just makes no sense.

Also, what is it with guys who want expansion teams but just have TERRIBLE IDEAS for the team name? Nashville Stars and Orlando Dreamers are AWFUL suggestions.

In the Orlando NHL thread on the BOH... someone said "NBA in Orlando and NHL in Tampa makes sense, no need for both." And I kind of think applying that to NFL/MLB is smart.

Tampa-St. Pete has a geography problem for where to put an MLB stadium that "both sides" of the Bay can go to games 81 times a year. For NFL, everyone will drive across town, across the bridge EIGHT TIMES a season.

The Orlando Rays make a TON of sense. A 100-mile radius around Orlando includes Tampa/St. Pete, Gainesville, St. Augustine, Daytona Beach. More people to draw from, central location for an 81-game season.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
While I want Orlando to have an MLB team one day, there are other markets that need prioritizing.

When Orlando does join MLB, their home park should be across the street from Walt Disney World in suburban Kissimmee.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

I suspect this was ripped from Ballparkdigest - FYI ya'll, this story (technically) is 4 years old. Possibly even older

Williams revives plan for new Orlando MLB ballpark, team

Yet, the word "formal" was used in this article yesterday

Orlando Dreamers Files Formal Application to Work with Orange County Government on Proposed $1.7 Billion Major League Baseball Stadium

Here's The Dreamers site which has the timeline and the pitch (pun intended)

Bring Major League Baseball to Orlando | Orlando Dreamers

KevFu

May 22, 2009
The guy proposing the stadium isn't attempting to own a team.

He wants to bring MLB to Orlando, but he doesn't have the dough to pay an expansion fee or run an MLB team.

He's hoping the Rays move to Orlando or someone else buys an MLB team to play in that stadium.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Nothing about the Orlando attempt to build an MLB stadium -- again, this is not an attempt to own a team, just build a stadium that someone ELSE can own an MLB team in -- would make them move up the list higher than anyone else already in the mix.

I'd have to keep my expansion favorites list as:

1. Nashville
2. Salt Lake City
3. Montreal
4. Charlotte
5. Portland
6. Orlando
7. Anyone else.

If I'm MLB, I'm making every effort to get a team in Montreal and Nashville; codify that the A's leaving doesn't remove AL territorial rights to the Bay Area without paying rights fees to the Giants; and possibly considering the White Sox as a team to fill that void.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad