Signing(s): Orioles re-sign Chris Davis

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Pretty much the perfect place for Davis. Won't add much of anything defensively but that isn't why he's getting paid. Term is a bit worrysome, though.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Power hitters?

I think it's fine for the Orioles. Horrible for anyone else, if that makes sense.

His enormous strikeout rate as well. The dude averages right around 30% K-rate throughout his career. I mean, that's even worse than prime Ryan Howard, and we all know how atrocious his contract was (and still is).

Reactions: All Might

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
The contract is not great but for once Angelos spend some real money, i'm fine with it. Davis deal expected to include deferrals that will lower present-day value. O's need Davis for different reasons - he's much needed LH bat in the middle of the order.

That's also interesting:

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
His enormous strikeout rate as well. The dude averages right around 30% K-rate throughout his career. I mean, that's even worse than prime Ryan Howard, and we all know how atrocious his contract was (and still is).

Ryan Howard never did a lot of things that Davis does. Also was never as skilled.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Today I like it but when his power decreases before that deal is up in the long term this won't look so good. No trade clause? Eh.

I'm surprised this happened. He didn't seem as coveted as expected. I'd almost rather have Csepedes though to be honest.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Sorry for that stupid question but what mean "no interest on deferrals"?

It means that no additional money will be paid (i.e. no interest rate will be tacked on to the deferred money). People usually ask for interest in these types of deals with that much deferred money in order to account for inflation.

Probably means that Davis' contract would've been a bit cheaper if it was just straight up with no deferrals.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Now it's officially a lot better for the O's. That interest will end up being like half a percent of their payroll. Even less, maybe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad