Orioles clean house, fire 11 members of scouting and front office departments

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Orioles are a complete trainwreck and earlier today they lost their appeal on the MASN TV deal

Orioles' season somehow gets worse as court rules they owe nearly $100 million to Nationals

throw in the rumors that the team might be looking at Nashville as a new home

Nashville Orioles? Baltimore needs a local buyer to step up to the plate

https://www.nbcsports.com/washingto...members-scouting-and-front-office-departments

Baltimore Orioles executive vice president and general manager Mike Elias is dedicated to altering the direction of the organization and that was reciprocated Friday with the firing of 11 members of the scouting and front office departments.

"We're in a period of change right now with the industry and we're in a period of change right now with the Orioles," Elias said. "Sometimes to make changes you've got to make changes."

Among those relieved were baseball operations director Tripp Norton, scouts Dean Albany, Jim Howard, John Gillette, Nathan Showalter, and Buck Showalter.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
God forbid that they did move to Nashville...

They would probably move to the AL Central, which leaves a spot open in the AL East. Cleveland and Detroit are both in the eastern time zone. What if they moved the Indians since Cleveland is more east than Detroit?

NYY
BOS
CLE
TB
TOR

DET
NSH
KC
MIN
CHW

Yuck.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Orioles moving to Nashville would be the dumbest thing ever. How exactly would that address the fact that the organization is trash and fans would still not show up to watch that dumpster fire play?

Centrum Hockey

Aug 2, 2018
Orioles moving to Nashville would be the dumbest thing ever. How exactly would that address the fact that the organization is trash and fans would still not show up to watch that dumpster fire play?
I assume a international league team will move to Camden yards if the o’s move.Like how the Binghamton rangers took the whalers place in Hartford.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

Well, they'll probably get better again on the field. I think a move would be pretty bad news given that the Orioles are certainly a storied franchise, but success or failure in pro sports is a 5-10 year question, a team move is more like a 30-40 year question.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Well, they'll probably get better again on the field. I think a move would be pretty bad news given that the Orioles are certainly a storied franchise, but success or failure in pro sports is a 5-10 year question, a team move is more like a 30-40 year question.
They can’t get better in Baltimore?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
They can’t get better in Baltimore?

They can...but that's not the point. You seemed to imply they'd suck in Nashville, too. In reality, they may well be very good in 5 years time whether they move or not, so that's not an argument against a move. Franchise moves aren't about teams performing, they're about owners making money and that's the end of it.

For the record, I don't see the Orioles moving any time soon.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
They can...but that's not the point. You seemed to imply they'd suck in Nashville, too. In reality, they may well be very good in 5 years time whether they move or not, so that's not an argument against a move. Franchise moves aren't about teams performing, they're about owners making money and that's the end of it.

For the record, I don't see the Orioles moving any time soon.
Under the same ownership, the team will never get better. After first year the attendance will tank.

And won't they be moving to a smaller market?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I imagine a move would involve a sale of the team in any event, so that's a moot point. And at this point the difference in size between the Nashville and Baltimore markets is probably not hugely significant especially as Nashville is a growth area. The reality is that it was probably a mistake by the O's not to prevent the return of a Washington franchise as so much of that region's growth is now centered around D.C. and all those newcomers are Nats fans, not O's fans.

solventless710

Jan 5, 2005
Orioles moving from Baltimore would be an absolute disgrace
Why? Because Camden Yards is a nice ballpark? Lol. They SHOULD move the f*** outta there. Baltimore is an absolute godforsaken city. I saw the A’s play in Baltimore a decade ago and I would never step foot in that city again. The Nats have wiped out most of their fanbase anyway, as the other poster just noted. They have a stranglehold on that territory, especially with how pitiful the O’s have become.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
My aunt used to work for the Orioles- when I was 10 or so I got a trip around the park and said "man, if they're ever any good I might just root for them!"

..that was 20 years ago. Still waiting to root for them.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Isn't the area around the ballpark rejuvenated? Camden Yards is still the standard by which all retro ballparks are still measured is it not? If the team relocated to another market, I would think Baltimore would be a prime candidate for a new team almost immediately.

-Metro area of approx. 2.5 million
-great ballpark that while it is 27 years old probably needs no more than a few hundred million in upgrades vs. $700 million or more to build a duplicate from scratch in another market
-proven baseball market for decades

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Isn't the area around the ballpark rejuvenated? Camden Yards is still the standard by which all retro ballparks are still measured is it not? If the team relocated to another market, I would think Baltimore would be a prime candidate for a new team almost immediately.

-Metro area of approx. 2.5 million
-great ballpark that while it is 27 years old probably needs no more than a few hundred million in upgrades vs. $700 million or more to build a duplicate from scratch in another market
-proven baseball market for decades

It's kind of a mixed bag. The Inner Harbor was a major, major revitalization project and it's touted as a destination for tourists etc., but the truth is that there's criminal incidents with some frequency in pretty close vicinity of the ballpark and all the other tourist stuff. I have no proof here, but the incident a few years ago where that rioting inner city mob got into fights with Os fans outside the ballpark likely didn't do the team any favors in terms of getting folks out to the ballpark either.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
11 members. I think I call that a "purge."
This is coming off a pretty large exodus the offseason before Elias was installed. These positions usually carry over from FO to FO, so there's a very large and extensive restructure going on there. As there should be.

Reactions: BigMac1212

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast
I have lived in Nashville...I love it there and plan on moving back. An MLB team would be freaking dope, is a new stadium being proposed? Where the Sounds play isn't even in the ballpark of what's needed.

My sister also was in school Baltimore for a while and I spent some time there. Yes it's dangerous, fairly run down and the least gentrified city I've ever been in. But damn does it have some charm, and that all starts with Camden Yards. If they left it would be a travesty.

I'd rather see the Rays or Marlins move to Nashville, and not have to disrupt division alignment that way.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
My aunt used to work for the Orioles- when I was 10 or so I got a trip around the park and said "man, if they're ever any good I might just root for them!"

..that was 20 years ago. Still waiting to root for them.

that five year stretch where they made the postseason three times and went to the alcs one year must have been murder!

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
the 2014 orioles went into first place in july and won the division by 12 games.

what a bunch of bums. they barely finished in the top five of many offensive categories and had a lights out bullpen. they couldn't even win 97 games! they only won 96! pssh.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad