Origin of the Playoff Beard?

Hondo2112

Mar 21, 2010
Hey HFBoards, first time poster here looking for some help. I'm a university student doing my term paper on the evolution of an important part of hockey mythology - the playoff beard. I've always been fascinated with how this particular superstition caught on on such a massive scale. To my knowledge, the first recognizable playoff beards appeared in the early 1980's with the New York Islanders. Has anyone heard anything different, or does this seem right?

Also, does anyone know if there was a specific player on that team who first wore the beard or if there was a team/player before the Isles who wore a prominent beard in the NHL?

Also, if you have any stories about playoff beards or thoughts as to why you think they're so successful please share them. Thanks a bunch!

Jumbo*

It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders. The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates. The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.

One team which notably did not follow the playoff beard tradition was the 1994 New York Rangers, as they did not want to follow the traditions of the rival Islanders.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
It is believed that the tradition was started in the 1980s by the New York Islanders. The tradition is also practiced by nearly all North American hockey leagues, to include high school leagues and the NCAA hockey teams, as well as minor league affiliates. The tradition has also spread to hockey leagues in Europe.

One team which notably did not follow the playoff beard tradition was the 1994 New York Rangers, as they did not want to follow the traditions of the rival Islanders.

This is it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to be specific it was the Islanders in 1980 I believe

Personally I think the playoff beards are ridiculous. Never liked them. Did you see Bill Guerin's last year? He looked like a homeless man. A team does it to bond, I get it, but whether you are clean shaven or not your play is dictated on the ice, not based on some superstition

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Agreed it's kinda a dumb tradition, but it's pretty cool. I always love seeing players' beards by the Finals.. there are always some great ones.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Also, does anyone know if there was a specific player on that team who first wore the beard or if there was a team/player before the Isles who wore a prominent beard in the NHL?

Well, he didn't grow it specifically for the playoffs but Bill Flett had a prominent beard. His NHL career started during the 1967-68 season.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12607

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayerGallery.jsp?player=12607#photo

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Agreed it's kinda a dumb tradition, but it's pretty cool. I always love seeing players' beards by the Finals.. there are always some great ones.

3437403304_4a7c943833.jpg

mikecommodore1.jpg

and my favorite

d8c82ee24f81b702192039a76f92.jpeg

DJ Man

Mar 23, 2009
Central Florida
I seem to recall goaltender Bernie Parent, near the end of a season or series, taking off his mask to reveal a beard. He explained he had a hunting trip up north as soon as his work was over.

Generic User

How's your burger?
Jul 7, 2009
Uncanny Valley

Dumb tradition? Beards make you a better person. In fact, people who die with beards get preferential treatment in heaven, as well as valet parking.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
This is it ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to be specific it was the Islanders in 1980 I believe

Personally I think the playoff beards are ridiculous. Never liked them. Did you see Bill Guerin's last year? He looked like a homeless man. A team does it to bond, I get it, but whether you are clean shaven or not your play is dictated on the ice, not based on some superstition

I'd rather Guerin look like a bum than Crosby look like a pedo.

blamebettman*

I recall Glenn Anderson, Sergei Zubov, and Jay Wells had beards

Devils Mike*

The Islanders started it and then the Devils brought it back in 1995 and won the cup.

It's been used ever since.

Hondo2112

Mar 21, 2010
Thanks so much everyone. I found the case with the New York Rangers in 1994 pretty cool. Thanks for some great pictures as well. I've also found that this tradition is speading into other sports like basketball and MLS soccer. I think the appeal of the beard, other than what it may symbolize in terms of masculinity, is that it creates a stronger team dynamic at a crucial time for performance.

Thanks again and keep em coming.

BostonAJ

Jul 20, 2009
Southie
Did Gretzky or Lemieux ever grow beards for the playoffs? I'm having a very difficult time picturing Wayne with facial hair.

cynicism

Aug 13, 2008
I remember Gretz tried unsuccesfully to grow a goatee in the 96 playoffs with the Blues. Lemieux was pretty much always clean shaven. Some people shouldn't try to grow facial hair *cough* Crosby *Cough*

Roomtemperature

Apr 8, 2008
New Jersey
Daneyko looks like he belongs on bumfights.com

And that's what makes it so awesome.

I know the 80's Oilers resisted it because it was an Islanders things. I'm not sure about the other teams in the playoffs in maybe the Oilers were too cool for school everyone else didn't do it. Or if it was team by team. But yeah I think it really took off for basically every team at or around 95 after the Devils.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad