Origin of the NHL plus minus data

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Starting in, I believe, the 2000-01 season, you can see where every player's individual pluses and minuses come from. Go to NHL.com/scores, click on a game, go to boxscore, then at the bottom there are a number of sheets you can open, including "game summary". On that sheet you can see exactly who was on the ice for each goal - you have everything you need to calculate plus minus yourself, if you needed to.

But for seasons before that, the site only has each player's final plus minus tally and not where it came from. This information was not in the hockey summary project either. But it must exist in some form, for plus minus to have been calculated from it, right? Is this information available anywhere that anyone is aware of?

morehockeystats

Unusual hockey stats
Dec 13, 2016
Columbus
morehockeystats.com
Starting in, I believe, the 2000-01 season, you can see where every player's individual pluses and minuses come from. Go to NHL.com/scores, click on a game, go to boxscore, then at the bottom there are a number of sheets you can open, including "game summary". On that sheet you can see exactly who was on the ice for each goal - you have everything you need to calculate plus minus yourself, if you needed to.

But for seasons before that, the site only has each player's final plus minus tally and not where it came from. This information was not in the hockey summary project either. But it must exist in some form, for plus minus to have been calculated from it, right? Is this information available anywhere that anyone is aware of?
I assume that between 1959/60 and 1999/2000 (not included) when the detailed on-ice data for goals started to get published as the GS report, it was just discarded post-game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->