Organizational Moves (Front Office & Scouting)

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
After the last 2 drafts and looking at our historic record it's pretty clear that we need to invest in getting better/more North American scouts. I'm very happy with our European picks since 2018 but the North American picks seem to be lackluster in comparison. I'd say that is my biggest critique of Yzerman so far. He hasn't had much to work with to start.

Think Yzerman changed half the scout personnel year ago. 2020 draft was the first when we did see some results. And Hanas, Sebrango, Stange could be good picks. Those look fine, I think they did good work.

But still hated to see that Draper kid drafted, when there was this Slovakian WJC goalie Hlavaj or Finnish Pärssinen available. They just went to take a North-Americans, because of balancing everything. Like get something for Draper to prove himself. It felt they operated like that because there were already too much europeans in the bank. These 5-6-7-7 round NA picks never becomes anything. But for some late-bloomer Europeans, you could get lucky. There was many guys available, like Florian Elias. Could have get this guy with the lowest 7th, instead of Chase Bradley. Now he is free market at 2021, and you have to use a 3rd for him, I expect.

Last edited:

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Think Yzerman changed half the scout personnel year ago. 2020 draft was the first when we did see some results. And Hanas, Sebrango, Stange could be good picks. Those look fine, I think they did good work.

But still hated to see that Draper kid drafted, when there was this Slovakian WJC goalie Hlavaj or Finnish Pärssinen available. They just went to take a North-Americans, because of balancing everything. Like get something for Draper to prove himself. It felt they operated like that because there were already too much europeans in the bank. These 5-6-7-7 round NA picks never becomes anything. But for some late-bloomer Europeans, you could get lucky. There was many guys available, like Florian Elias. Could have get this guy with the lowest 7th, instead of Chase Bradley. Now he is free market at 2021, and you have to use a 3rd for him, I expect.
Considering you had three starting goaltenders at the World Juniors drafted behind Draper...it was rough to see.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

We're back to this?

Reactions: PullHard

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
After the last 2 drafts and looking at our historic record it's pretty clear that we need to invest in getting better/more North American scouts. I'm very happy with our European picks since 2018 but the North American picks seem to be lackluster in comparison. I'd say that is my biggest critique of Yzerman so far. He hasn't had much to work with to start.

I mean we have used pretty much all of our top 50 picks on Euros. That's all that really means to me. Of course you are going to like those picks better.

I have been fine going Euro-heavy in the draft, because I think most the picks made have been good. The only pick (used on Euros) in rounds 1-2 I have really had an issue with was Tuomisto in 2019. He was not someone I was keen on at all. But other than that -- I think Seider, Wallinder, Raymond all look like good picks. I would have personally drafted Cozens in 2019, but Seider has gone on to pretty much make that look like a non-issue.

I liked the North American picks made in 2019. The Mastrosimone/Phillips picks are exactly the types of picks I think a team should make in rounds 2-7. Gylander looks like a pretty solid goalie prospect for bein a 7th rounder. I did not like the 2020 NA draft picks as much, but we took some guys I really didn't have too much of a chance to watch (Stange, Aucoin, Draper). I definitely liked some NA guys taken after Sebrango better, but Sebrango is a good athlete and got looks for the WJC team so idk. Hanas is a skilled player from the little I've seen, so that seems fine for the 3rd round. Cotton I was ok with taking later in the draft, because he has some offensive tools (mainly his shot). I have not seen Aucoin, Draper, or Bradley play a minute of hockey I don't think. There are some other guys I would have preferred and was more familiar with, I can understand that. But I really don't even know what those guys bring to the table yet.

Last edited:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Is Ryan Martin relieved from his duties as Assistant GM?

Ryan Martin Team Staff Profile - Elite Prospects

He seems to be a Scout for Team USA, and not mention at Eliteprospects that he is continuing work at Detroit organization for season 2020-21.

Imo, Pat Verbeek is the guy who had the same role under Stevie at Tampa, so maybe he has taken control?

Any news about this?

Julian Brisbois was in Ryan Martin's role in Tampa before replacing Yzerman, he was their cap guru. Verbeek is one of the best pro scouts in the world in my opinion, I don't think it is a mistake we were constantly salvaging vets and then Tampa was when he left us with Yzerman. I think he is his actual right-hand man, I don't think there is anyone Stevie trust more so he could certainly say on a lot of stuff. However my understanding was Verbeek is more a professional guy, I don't think he is a cap guy. NHL, AHL or European guys they are getting serious about will probably need his stamp of approval.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Now since the band is back together......
Yzerman, GM & Ex. VP of hockey ops.
Lidström, VP of hockey ops.
Draper, director of amateur scouting.
Maltby, pro scout.
+ Kronwall, european player development and Fischer, associate dir. of player personnel.

.... if Shanny gets sacked by the Leafs, should we welcome him home with new vacancy?
----------------------------------
In the other news. Mark Howe, Ryan Rezmierski and scout Eric Soltys has disappeared from Red Wings homepage.

Howe most likely retired, but what happened to Rezmierski?

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Yzerman should convince Scotty Bowman to come back to the Redwings as senior consultant and adviser. Now that his son is no longer part of the Blackhawks, I am sure he will welcome the opportunity.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Bowman is 88 years old. Does he still have anything to contribute at this point?

His main job even when he was with the Wings after retiring from coaching was to be a source of advice for both Holland and Babcock. He wasn't based in Detroit or Chicago.

He has retired to TB Florida but still watches NHL games both live and on TV where he can scout systems and players for his organization and provide his input to the staff.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Now since the band is back together......
Yzerman, GM & Ex. VP of hockey ops.
Lidström, VP of hockey ops.
Draper, director of amateur scouting.
Maltby, pro scout.
+ Kronwall, european player development and Fischer, associate dir. of player personnel.

.... if Shanny gets sacked by the Leafs, should we welcome him home with new vacancy?
----------------------------------
In the other news. Mark Howe, Ryan Rezmierski and scout Eric Soltys has disappeared from Red Wings homepage.

Howe most likely retired, but what happened to Rezmierski?
Any news on the Rezmierski situation ?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Any news on the Rezmierski situation ?
His linkedin still says Detroit. I'll be heartbroken if he left for Anaheim.
No Rezmierski here...
Hockey Operations

...and 404 error here.
Ducks Front Office

I guess we just have to wait and see. Newly hired GMs usually takes some people with him from the previous organization, like Yzerman did(Verbeek, C.Yzerman, Osaer) and Holland took along with him Tyler Wright & Archie Henderson. Jim Nill took Joe McDonnell, Mark Leach and David Kolb & Sam Lites joined later. And both Holland and Nill asked for Håkan too. And back in the day when Neil Smith left to New York, he took along Christer Rockström and that paived a way for certain Håkan Andersson.

History would indicate that Rezmierski(and Eric Soltys probably) left with Verbeek, im sure we get answers closer to draft.

Reactions: Vachon23

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
No Rezmierski here...
Hockey Operations

...and 404 error here.
Ducks Front Office

I guess we just have to wait and see. Newly hired GMs usually takes some people with him from the previous organization, like Yzerman did(Verbeek, C.Yzerman, Osaer) and Holland took along with him Tyler Wright & Archie Henderson. Jim Nill took Joe McDonnell, Mark Leach and David Kolb & Sam Lites joined later. And both Holland and Nill asked for Håkan too. And back in the day when Neil Smith left to New York, he took along Christer Rockström and that paived a way for certain Håkan Andersson.

History would indicate that Rezmierski(and Eric Soltys probably) left with Verbeek, im sure we get answers closer to draft.

not sure why you're getting a 404 error but the sites working fine for me

f2e4d250690ae23cf61a67365feb3435.png

neither Rezmierski or Soltys are on there(not that that necessarily means anything)

Reactions: SantosHalper

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Scotty... you call. If he says yes, you oblige. The single greatest hockey mind of all time. his 88 is better than any GMs 50!

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
not sure why you're getting a 404 error but the sites working fine for me

View attachment 550175

neither Rezmierski or Soltys are on there(not that that necessarily means anything)
Well that's weird, everything else is working for me except the front office page. But i went checked every team's front office's except Seattle's, i hit the same 404 error wall over there. What have i done to get banned like that? :laugh:

But no Rezmierski anywhere, but usually these front office pages gets updated around the draft.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
A new scout can’t work for his team only after the draft so that’s maybe why it wasn’t announce

It’s curious though that his departure wasn’t announce

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Soltys took a new job in Maine:

Was hired in that role already in 2020, probably a full time role for now on. He was a head coach over there in 2019-20 season, bio says he worked for Calgary for 6 years(2013-2019 and also 2019-20 as well). Bio was written in 2019 most likely.

Howe retired, i wonder are they going to replace him. Do they really need a director pro scouting?
https://eu.detroitnews.com/story/sp...fare-after-nearly-50-years-hockey/8731380002/

Still no word on Rezmierski.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad