Organizational Ineptitude - it ain't just Chiarelli

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
i think..... i think i give up.

i no longer believe they will win a cup in the McDavid era. they will fire Chia, the next guy will turn out to be the wrong guy and they fire him in 3 or 4 years.

yeah... i think i give up.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
hahahahahahahahaha

*cough* *cough*

....hahahahaha
You were here at that time. Anyone who spoke ill of Oil Change (or the ‘strategy’ of tanking for the charity lotto picks) was roundly decried as a bad fan without a clue as to how a small market team like the Oilers could build a contender.

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
I agree with the overall sentiment in this thread that the issues are deeper seeded, and cannot be solved by replacing the gm alone (although literally anyone would be an improvement on chia).

I feel like the Oil need to hire a guy like Shanahan who can come in, analyze the organization, and complete a restructuring of hockey ops, not just the gm but also including scouting, analytics, player development, sports medicine.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I don't know if he realized, but Chia took a huge personal risk with this latest trade. Even if Manning surprises everyone positively it lookes like he could've got for much less, which would take some shine off from an otherwise succesful trade.

However, counting 1+1 makes it look like there'll be a time when Manning will have trouble making the team (might even be soon) and then this will look really bad. Chia also should know that every mistake Manning makes will get magnified and that probably won't make things easier for the player himself either.

If Manning has a bad start and Caggiula maybe a stronger one this might be the last nail in the coffin.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Bob Nicholson And Chiarelli both need to go, but suspect Bob will get a pass. Katz is a fool to trust anything this organization shovels his way.

People need to stop attending games if they want real change. Given the state of the Alberta economy, I think that may just happen.

Reactions: Raoul Duke

space321

May 11, 2011
OBC and Nicholson might be bad, but I'm still struggling to believe that Chiarelli would willingly tarnish his image with these trades if he didn't believe in them. Why doesn't he just resign if he's unable to make his own decisions? Is his 3M a year really worth throwing away his entire future? Listening to his presser today it appears he believes in his trades.

Reactions: Aerrol

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
OBC and Nicholson might be bad, but I'm still struggling to believe that Chiarelli would willingly tarnish his image with these trades if he didn't believe in them. Why doesn't he just resign if he's unable to make his own decisions? Is his 3M a year really worth throwing away his entire future? Listening to his presser today it appears he believes in his trades.

What future? He will NEVER get hired again as a GM.

So yeah, 3M a year is all he has to cling to, and he will decimate this team in an effort to keep that. There are Heist movies where a crew of highly trained individuals will go all out risking life and limb to steal $3 million, you really think one guy is going to just resign?

space321

May 11, 2011
What future? He will NEVER get hired again as a GM.

So yeah, 3M a year is all he has to cling to, and he will decimate this team in an effort to keep that. There are Heist movies where a crew of highly trained individuals will go all out risking life and limb to steal $3 million, you really think one guy is going to just resign?

I'm talking about before he ruined his reputation. Hypothetically, if he refused to trade Hall for Larsson, and resigned from his job, he'd definitely be considered for future GM positions.

There is a sizable number of people here convinced that Chiarelli is a puppet GM, I'm just wondering why he would willingly be a puppet GM. At the very least, if he didn't agree with the OBC and refused to carry out their plans, he would get fired and still be paid the rest of his contract.

He's only in his 50s, as far as management careers go, that's still considered pretty young.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm talking about before he ruined his reputation. Hypothetically, if he refused to trade Hall for Larsson, and resigned from his job, he'd definitely be considered for future GM positions.

There is a sizable number of people here convinced that Chiarelli is a puppet GM, I'm just wondering why he would willingly be a puppet GM. At the very least, if he didn't agree with the OBC and refused to carry out their plans, he would get fired and still be paid the rest of his contract.

He's only in his 50s, as far as management careers go, that's still considered pretty young.

He plainly not a puppet GM and you're exactly right.

In 2015, there's no way he would accept a puppet GM job offer, he could've gotten just about any available GM job including probably Toronto at that time.

He had a lot of a catchet coming out of Boston.

And you're exactly right, someone as young as him would never sewer his career, he could've GMed for another 20 years, now he probably is not going to get a GM job ever again.

No one would willingly do this to their career just to "cover" for someone else. It makes zero sense to do it or go along with it for 1 year let alone almost 4 years.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
the oilers were certainly not great before katz but since katz acquired the oilers they have become worse. is it possible that the way he's running the organization is leading to a toxic atmosphere and s*** culture and that is affecting everything including the product on the ice? the tweet i posted on the last page seems to make it seem like a terrible place to work. think about it, if the execs (even though people assume they're katz's buddies) are uptight and perhaps not cohesive that could lead to terrible decisions and a toxic attitude that trickles all the way down to the coaches and players.

Reactions: MessierII

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
Katz is just a rich guy who wants to hang out with his hockey heroes.

Until he gets over this, and realizes they've turned the franchise into a joke, and he's the one who's going to be known as the guy who employed the group to ruin a once storied franchise, we're effd.

At this point even a chia firing is nothing, in fact he's been given this much leeway, he may be inducted into the OBC and given a job in hockey ops.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
2D260EFC-F264-4862-A191-11DA5B108535.jpeg
ACD16A09-CAE9-467B-8065-06173397F6F4.jpeg
Oiler Park Boys.

Reactions: BlackDogg

JYUBiznass

Jan 14, 2007
This falls on Katz. I'm surprised the media has yet to attack Katz. The Oilers are clearly his pet project.

Katz doesn't have the balls to fire anyone. Any rational CEO would have fired the MacTs, the Kevin Lowe's, Scott Howson. Clearly they do NOT know a thing or two about winning or running an organization.

It's Pejorative Slured to see his sons up there every year at the draft podium. It's embarrassing. It's like staring at a yearbook pictures every year to see how much taller the kid has grown. Vegas should be doing over/under. If I were the kid, I'd be embarrassed to stand up there year after year with a different #1 overall.

What a joke this organization is? Until Katz actually puts his big boy pants on and actually cleans the entire head office including Nicholson, this team ain't moving anywhere.

Reactions: BlackDogg

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
As much as I hate this org right now, drawing any conclusions from a tweet claiming some former employees of the org (which could be a damn concession worker) were unhappy with their working conditions is silly.

It's one thing to come from a player who's held accountable to some extent by his words, but an anonymous organizational employee bashes the org after being fired and bitches about pay, I'm not too inclined to believe it.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Here's where I think things went severely wrong and things took a u-turn.

The 2016 draft lottery.

I say this because I think Chiarelli and Shero had the Hall for Larsson trade verbally agreed to before the draft and they would finalize it before July 1 so he could sign Lucic. The Oilers were primed to draft Laine, the elite shot, sniper we de desperately still need and Chiarelli was really banking on staying at #2.

The Oilers then fell to #4 so Chiarelli maybe tells Shero the deal is on hold until the draft shakes out.

Draft day comes and Columbus takes Dubois. Chiarelli then takes what they and the rest of the hockey world think is the winger with the next best shot after Laine in JP and the deal is back on with the Devils.

I am in no way blaming this on JP or the Hall trade but those lottery balls in the spring of '16 really set into motion where the Oilers are today.

Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I agree with the overall sentiment in this thread that the issues are deeper seeded, and cannot be solved by replacing the gm alone (although literally anyone would be an improvement on chia).

I feel like the Oil need to hire a guy like Shanahan who can come in, analyze the organization, and complete a restructuring of hockey ops, not just the gm but also including scouting, analytics, player development, sports medicine.
You mean a guy in a position like the one we have in Nicholson, only with some hockey acumen?

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

The 2016 draft lottery.

I say this because I think Chiarelli and Shero had the Hall for Larsson trade verbally agreed to before the draft and they would finalize it before July 1 so he could sign Lucic. The Oilers were primed to draft Laine, the elite shot, sniper we de desperately still need and Chiarelli was really banking on staying at #2.

The Oilers then fell to #4 so Chiarelli maybe tells Shero the deal is on hold until the draft shakes out.

Draft day comes and Columbus takes Dubois. Chiarelli then takes what they and the rest of the hockey world think is the winger with the next best shot after Laine in JP and the deal is back on with the Devils.

I am in no way blaming this on JP or the Hall trade but those lottery balls in the spring of '16 really set into motion where the Oilers are today.

There have been a lot of drafts besides those lottery balls that have got us to where we re today. So many screwups, that there is no way you can pinpoint one event.

Reactions: Hopelesslucicfan

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
There have been a lot of drafts besides those lottery balls that have got us to where we re today. So many screwups, that there is no way you can pinpoint one event.
'
It's pretty subjective with as you said so many screw ups, everyone could say "this was the draft" or this was "the trade" but there is no denying the Oilers are likely a much better team with Laine riding shotgun with McDavid. You may not agree, but for me this was the event that's lead to the makeup of the current roster.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017

The 2016 draft lottery.

is this just pure speculation on your part or is there some hearsay to it from sources?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad