Confirmed with Link: O'Reilly to be named Captain

Hrkac Circus

Dec 11, 2014
Vienna, IL
I’ve had dreams I joined the team. I remember one where I progressed from a guy who literally doesn’t know how to skate (reality) to a 4th line plug fan favorite. I scored one goal that bounced in off my ass and the crowd went nuts. Andy Murray was the coach who gave me a chance.

I had a dream two nights ago I was a rookie with the Blues. But strangely enough, it was 1970's era. Everyone had 70's haircuts and mutton chop sideburns. Ernie Wakely was in goal and we beat the Flames 3-2 on the road. What a feeling to suddenly find myself an up-and-coming Blues player, even if it was in the 70's.

Reactions: Stupendous Yappi

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I think OReilly exudes a greater intensity than Pietro did. His preparation is more easily visible as elite. I’m not saying Pietro didn’t do those things, but it’s transparent with ROR. I think this may trickle down through the young players even more now that he’s endorsed as the formal captain, though it’s not like Ryan wasn’t exerting leadership within the team prior to this. It will be an interesting development to watch. I know I can’t imagine Jamie Benn sitting on OReilly and getting away with it.

mike1320

I think OReilly exudes a greater intensity than Pietro did. His preparation is more easily visible as elite. I’m not saying Pietro didn’t do those things, but it’s transparent with ROR. I think this may trickle down through the young players even more now that he’s endorsed as the formal captain, though it’s not like Ryan wasn’t exerting leadership within the team prior to this. It will be an interesting development to watch. I know I can’t imagine Jamie Benn sitting on OReilly and getting away with it.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. I can't see this as being a step back in leadership in any way, shape, or form. Very excited to see how the new leadership core shapes the team going forward.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I find it very strange how many people disliked Petro as being too "soft" to be a captain but are thrilled with ROR wearing the C. Is it just because he weighs more and has a beard year-round?

Petro has 169 more hits in 46 fewer NHL games than ROR (515-346 for their careers). Petro is the more physical player.

Petro's 1 career NHL fight is exactly 1 more than ROR's NHL fight card. Petro's 5 fights in junior are 5 more than ROR's junior career. Neither are fighters, but ROR has literally never fought in a hockey game unless he dropped the gloves in AAA.

Petro has more than double the career PIMS of ROR (241-106). ROR has had two seasons where he only took one penalty all year. He had another season where he just took two penalties. ROR has a Lady Byng win, has been nominated each of the last three seasons and has been in the top 10 for the award for 7 straight seasons. Petro has never been in the top 10 of voting for the Byng.

I have been on record that I think it is absolutely idiotic to hold any of these metrics up as reasons why a guy shouldn't be captain. The "too soft" narrative has been stupid for years, but we should at least see some consistency here. ROR is a softer player than Petro. If you had an issue with Petro not retaliating for things, you should have that issue with ROR, because he retaliates less. If you had an issue with Petro not standing up for teammates, then you need to have that issue with ROR too. Both of them play pretty much all of their defense with their sticks and by taking great angles to pucks (and both are top 10 in the league at that skill). If that was an issue that made Petro a questionable choice for captain, then you need to have that problem with ROR too.

Again, I never had any of these issues with Petro and I don't have them with ROR either. But a lot of people on here seem to hold that stuff against Petro but not ROR. The idea that other teams "won't take liberties with us like they would have with Petro" isn't based in a shred of reality.

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
I find it very strange how many people disliked Petro as being too "soft" to be a captain but are thrilled with ROR wearing the C. Is it just because he weighs more and has a beard year-round?

Petro has 169 more hits in 46 fewer NHL games than ROR (515-346 for their careers). Petro is the more physical player.

Petro's 1 career NHL fight is exactly 1 more than ROR's NHL fight card. Petro's 5 fights in junior are 5 more than ROR's junior career. Neither are fighters, but ROR has literally never fought in a hockey game unless he dropped the gloves in AAA.

Petro has more than double the career PIMS of ROR (241-106). ROR has had two seasons where he only took one penalty all year. He had another season where he just took two penalties. ROR has a Lady Byng win, has been nominated each of the last three seasons and has been in the top 10 for the award for 7 straight seasons. Petro has never been in the top 10 of voting for the Byng.

I have been on record that I think it is absolutely idiotic to hold any of these metrics up as reasons why a guy shouldn't be captain. The "too soft" narrative has been stupid for years, but we should at least see some consistency here. ROR is a softer player than Petro. If you had an issue with Petro not retaliating for things, you should have that issue with ROR, because he retaliates less. If you had an issue with Petro not standing up for teammates, then you need to have that issue with ROR too. Both of them play pretty much all of their defense with their sticks and by taking great angles to pucks (and both are top 10 in the league at that skill). If that was an issue that made Petro a questionable choice for captain, then you need to have that problem with ROR too.

Again, I never had any of these issues with Petro and I don't have them with ROR either. But a lot of people on here seem to hold that stuff against Petro but not ROR. The idea that other teams "won't take liberties with us like they would have with Petro" isn't based in a shred of reality.

Well said sir!!

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

I never bought that Petro was soft. JayBo neither. They didn’t run around to make big hits but neither shied from contact and both win luck battles. Petro is probably best I’ve ever seen at winning luck battles.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Soft gets thrown around too much. Petro was never soft, although he did pick up his physicality a bit in recent years and I think that improved his overall play. He just seemed a bit meaner on the ice and harder to play against as opposed to being all about finesse.

Soft should be reserved for guys that completely avoid dirty areas and physical play of any kind.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Soft gets thrown around too much. Petro was never soft, although he did pick up his physicality a bit in recent years and I think that improved his overall play. He just seemed a bit meaner on the ice and harder to play against as opposed to being all about finesse.

Soft should be reserved for guys that completely avoid dirty areas and physical play of any kind.
I.e. Craig janney.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Well they are same people who were 'just fine' Pietro leaving and hyping for Faulk.

That calling soft thing imo was just one fan made thing, we all know who it was and it got heat under it and more people follow it. I take it as a joke more than opinion. Or what do you say @TheDizee ? :D

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

Funny note, Perrom was coupld first stints in Blyes called soft, but once he was back for Cup run dude was hitting and taking hits. Turn up his game totally. Reason why he has become one of my fav Blues player. Only if he could stop taking stupid penalties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad