Confirmed with Link: O'Reilly to be named Captain

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Not surprised. Good for him. Well deserved. He’d be 100 point player if he had more speed, that’s how good he is.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Ginger Papa

Sponsor
Apr 21, 2019
Quesnel, B.C.
Hi again,

I agree with you all that Ryan seems like the obvious choice, which is great as it doesn’t likely split the room in any way.

To me as an outside observer I see him as the definition of the Blues- hardworking & skilled but tough as nails. He reminds me of this old clip from the original Predator movie:

7DC42041-13F5-4985-A162-38A507EE80AD.gif

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Canucks here, congrats to your team for having a leader and playoff warrior/ workhorse like that.

We hated seeing him hop on the ice against Petey, and no better choice than game-changers like him to lead his team.
Yeah O’Reilly was an absolute monster in that series, he was just unreal. It’s a shame others couldn’t follow his lead.

But that’s par for the course for him. He always brings it no matter what.

Love this news.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
Seemed like the obvious choice. He has the motor and the preparation habits to be a a great mentor for younger players. Still hard to believe he was run out of Buffalo.
I still can’t believe we got him either. Players of his caliber, in the prime of their career, and on a long term (extremely cheap) deal are simply “untouchable”.

I wouldn’t say he was ran out of Buffalo. It was because of an honest end of year interview. Unless there was something nobody else saw. Oh and on top of it the Blues gave up next to nothing when you think of the player we got! 2 players that we replaceable and eating up cap space, our 4-5th top prospect, and a 1st n 2nd rounder!!

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
he is probably the best fit for a captain, with schwartz being the only other option in my book. congrats ROR

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
That would fit me better i think. But a 59 year old between al these skilled and tough hockey players would kill me i think. I will dream on
I’ve had dreams I joined the team. I remember one where I progressed from a guy who literally doesn’t know how to skate (reality) to a 4th line plug fan favorite. I scored one goal that bounced in off my ass and the crowd went nuts. Andy Murray was the coach who gave me a chance.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
No surprise there. Tarasenko being hurt again takes out any nagging concern that he would feel slighted. Schwartz being on the last year of his deal gives a nice excuse for the Blues to say 'we didn't want to be naming another guy the C in a year. Parayko has enough on his plate becoming a #1 NHL D man and absolutely didn't need the added responsibility. He is also probably gone by the summer of 2022 unless Army is willing to make concessions he wasn't willing to make for Petro. Perron is getting old and is likely only here another 2 seasons.

Contracts and roles make this a pretty clear choice. There is a good reason not to give it to any of the long-tenured vets in the room and ROR is clearly a better player than Schenn. Faulk and Krug were clearly not considerations even though they are the new core of the blue line.

Can't wait to see our Winter Classic jerseys whenever we play Minnesota. Probably going to have to go with ROR on that one.

Spear

Anonymous source FOR HIRE
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2009
St. Louis, MO
I’ve had dreams I joined the team. I remember one where I progressed from a guy who literally doesn’t know how to skate (reality) to a 4th line plug fan favorite. I scored one goal that bounced in off my ass and the crowd went nuts. Andy Murray was the coach who gave me a chance......

Only after you gave up your white skates.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Totally expected, and the correct choice. Now, let's hope they sign a good veteran defenceman and scoring forward, and hope Binnington comes back to his rookie form, and Husso surprises in a good way.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
It will be interesting to see what transpires now with the As. With so many potential candidates, my guess is that they alternate home and away like they have in the past, with Schenn, Schwartz, Parayko and a wild card. I could seen any of Perron, Krug, Gunnarsson, Bozak, Clifford or Sunny getting in the rotation as a wild card until Tarasenko returns to the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad