Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Haha 6-10 good players away yet you aren’t willing to trade ROR or Reinhart. Can you share your “much more easily” way about how to accomplish this? Every team in the league would like to know.
Buffalo's defense is terrible. I would rather start from the defensive end and move forward. It is why I would trade ROR for top 1-2 defender.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
Buffalo's defense is terrible. I would rather start from the defensive end and move forward. It is why I would trade ROR for top 1-2 defender.

I agree, I just don't know how easy it is to do that, otoh a lot of other teams don't seem to be having trouble doing it so hopefully we can pull it off. Svech would be a good consolation prize if we can't get dahlin. I don't know who i'd want if we are at 3 or 4(probably likely). Let's just pray we get dahlin and i'd probably still trade ryan for someone else on defense so we can build a proper defense.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I agree, I just don't know how easy it is to do that, otoh a lot of other teams don't seem to be having trouble doing it so hopefully we can pull it off. Svech would be a good consolation prize if we can't get dahlin. I don't know who i'd want if we are at 3 or 4(probably likely). Let's just pray we get dahlin and i'd probably still trade ryan for someone else on defense so we can build a proper defense.

Agree with this but if at 2 i look to:

- move up to 1 if realistically possible

Or more likely

- trade back to 3/4 & get a hughes or Boqvist

A ROR for Hanifin type deal makes me less reluctant to draft svechnikov however.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
ROR just put up 60+ points in the hardest minutes of any forward in the league, on the worst offensive team in the league, while being an elite two-way player.

"Guys, I just don't think he's quite good enough for us..."
Non Sabres fans just see the 60 points and think meh 2-3 line center. Put JT in that same role ROR just played he would have 60 points too.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
ROR just put up 60+ points in the hardest minutes of any forward in the league, on the worst offensive team in the league, while being an elite two-way player.

"Guys, I just don't think he's quite good enough for us..."

I think he is a good 1 C but not an elite 2-way player.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
ROR is still underrated on these boards. Closest thing to Bergeron lite in the league. Buffalo fans trying to negotiate with other teams fans now know the frustration avs fans felt when trying to negotiate with Buffalo fans back in the day.

Not too many talk about how Bergeron's zone starts have been a lot easier the past two seasons compared to prior in his career.

Bergeron won the Selke last year with 54.7% oZS%. And this year, his oZS% rose to 59.4%.

And this season, O'Reilly had the second lowest oZS% of his career at 42.6%.

Jan 21, 2018
ROR is still underrated on these boards. Closest thing to Bergeron lite in the league. Buffalo fans trying to negotiate with other teams fans now know the frustration avs fans felt when trying to negotiate with Buffalo fans back in the day.

Yea but Buffalo ended up giving up barely anything for "Bergeron-lite".

By that logic the Sabres will be just as disappointed as Avs fans if ROR ends up getting traded.

I've already seen people in this thread posting that O'Reilly is going to get a top 1-2 pairing dman LOL

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017

By that logic the Sabres will be just as disappointed as Avs fans if ROR ends up getting traded.

I've already seen people in this thread posting that O'Reilly is going to get a top 1-2 pairing dman LOL
Zadorov is far from inconsequential, he’s easily a top 4 dman with room to grow, would most definitely be Buffalos third best dman (at worst). A high 2nd and Compher are also nice additional pieces.

Last edited:

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Fleury had a solid, but unspectacular rookie season for a player of his type. He started out strong on the defensive side of the puck, but slipped as the season progressed. What is noticeable about Fleury is his skating. Surprisingly, he almost looks more polished than Hanifin in that regard. Unfortunately, Fleury didn't display much in the way of puck skills offensively. He's not a future #1, but I still like him as a complimentary Top 4 defensive defenseman. With Slavin and Pesce already in the Top 4, Fleury is expendable in the right trade, however. If he doesn't have the value to be close to a centerpiece for a good forward, they'll just keep him. Barring any movement, he'll float between the 2nd and 3rd pairing next season, depending on what Faulk and Hanifin need against particular matchups.

I'm not the person to comment on Bean. The organization said some positive things about him back at camp and had it not have been for the logjam on the left side of the blueline, he may have made the team. Short-term, I think he spends a season in Charlotte, much like Fleury did. Long-term, the Canes need someone of his ilk, if a move involving Hanifin or Faulk is made. Still, if the right deal comes along, he's moveable.

I expect a more static approach to the offseason than others.
Would a trade of Alex Nylander for one of these two be of any interest to the Canes? I myself would be more interested in Bean.

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Haha 6-10 good players away yet you aren’t willing to trade ROR or Reinhart. Can you share your “much more easily” way about how to accomplish this? Every team in the league would like to know.

Bottom six/four forwards/defenseman can be found and developed more easily than top six/two players.. which is what Botterill did this year in rebuilding the Rochester AHL team that made the playoffs for the first time in years.

The Sabres found good bottom six forwards this year in Rodrigues, Wilson, and Baptiste; defensemen in Nelson and Guhle. The Sabres need more of these types of players. The cost of almost all of these players to the Sabres ranged from nothing to a third round pick. Only Guhle was a second round pick.

The idea that the Sabres “have” to trade players like ROR and Reinhart to get better is stupid. They need to lose the dead weight non-NHL caliber players (Beaulieu, Pominville, Gorges, Nolan) and injury prone players (Bogo, McCabe) by burying them in the minors or buying them out and letting the new the Rochester core gradually earn their spot on the team.

The Sabres aren’t getting better by making stupid culture trades.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

I see this fallacy is still alive and well.

At the time of the trade, everyone was saying that buffalo gave up way too much for ROR. Now that the players have been on the Avs for a few years the narrative has changed to Colorado got barely anything in the trade because nobody watches the Avs so nobody hears the players names anymore so that MUST mean the players now suck and Colorado got ripped off.

Its odd. Not a single Avs fan is upset with the trade or would take it back.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

At the time of the trade, everyone was saying that buffalo gave up way too much for ROR. Now that the players have been on the Avs for a few years the narrative has changed to Colorado got barely anything in the trade because nobody watches the Avs so nobody hears the players names anymore so that MUST mean the players now suck and Colorado got ripped off.

Not a single fan?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012

That's funny, I've seen tons of Avs fans wishing they still had O'Reilly.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

ROR's been a topic lately and some fans still want him back, but I'd wager that ~90% of HFAvs would prefer to have Zadorov, Compher, and Greer than ROR at $7.5mil. Zadorov has really started turning a corner lately and becoming a beast of defenseman.

Now would we like ROR back? Sure assuming that none of the bridges were burned when he left, because we need a player like him on our 2nd line in the worst way, but I don't think many of us would undo the trade.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

Wishing they still had oreilly is not the same as wanting to take the trade back because it was just so lopsided.

Dont be so defensive. Ror is a hell of a player. My contention isnt that Colorado fleeced you for an overrated player. It's just getting old how the storyline is now "Colorado wishes they could take the trade back" when the only thing that has changed is that ror is now playing out East so more people and media are watching him and the players buffalo traded are now "our of sight, out of mind" in colorado. The amount of people who think Zadorov is a bust is mind blowing.

Both teams are happy. THAT should be the storyline.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Wishing they still had oreilly is not the same as wanting to take the trade back because it was just so lopsided.

Dont be so defensive. Ror is a hell of a player. My contention isnt that Colorado fleeced you for an overrated player. It's just getting old how the storyline is now "Colorado wishes they could take the trade back" when the only thing that has changed is that ror is now playing out East so more people and media are watching him and the players buffalo traded are now "our of sight, out of mind" in colorado. The amount of people who think Zadorov is a bust is mind blowing.

Both teams are happy. THAT should be the storyline.

I like Zadorov as was against trading him. But, seeing ROR play, I'm not upset one bit in that trade. Getting O'Reilly should have been great, but bad trades, bad drafting, and bad signings failed to put a good team around what should be one of the best center duo's in the NHL. So essentially, we would probably been better off not making that trade at all unless this franchise can turn things around.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Just because we'd like to have ROR back doesn't mean we're not happy with the trade. Not in the slightest.

There's a number of Avs fans(Myself included) that wouldn't trade Zadorov alone for ROR at this point. Not with the season he's put together this year and his play in the playoffs.

We want ROR because he'd be a great 2C behind Mackinnon and add some necessary scoring depth, two way play, and faceoff ability.

But we sure as hell wouldn't give up what we got back for him again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->