Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

explore

I was wrong about Don Granato and TNT
Jun 28, 2011
Have no problem moving Hanifin for the right return.

Just don't want ROR or Reinhart or a basket of crap or anything else Sabres fans have actually offered for him.

Good. They aren’t availble and trading them will make Buffalo worse now and in the future.

Buffalo isn’t one defenseman away from competing for the playoffs. Buffalo is ~6-10 NHL-quality players away. Those players can be acquired much more easily than trading players of ROR or Reinhart’s quality. Buffalo needs to fill out their bottom six and bottom four defense. There’s no point in trading core players in the top six who actually played well.

Last edited:

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I'm not sold on ROR being offensively much better than Jordan Staal for us, at least as long as Bill "my gameplans are where scoring goes to die." Peters remains the coach. I don't think the difference is talent as much as the stifling crap BP runs.

Staal, Lindholm, Aho, Rask. Logjam. That's not talking about the specs...we have 4 middle-6 C's already on the roster and Aho & Necas might have 1C upside themselves.

Worth doesn't exist in a vacuum...we need what ROR brings less than most buyers. He's a luxury, not a need, and we'd likely pay less than other buyers for that reason.

Yes, if we're moving Hanifin, I'm looking for something around Mittelstadt...it's a better fit for our needs and core. Trades are things that have to address both teams needs. You need a D with 1D upside; we need an offensive dynamo.

The Sabres are the lowest scoring team in the NHL. If anything, you should expect ROR's production to go up the second he's anywhere other than this dumpster fire. Also, you should expect him to out-produce Staal because he's much better than Staal. Staal cracked 55 points once in his career, nearly a decade ago. O'Reilly's done that 6 times and for the last 5 years straight.

And no you can't have Mittelstadt.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Sabres are the lowest scoring team in the NHL. If anything, you should expect ROR's production to go up the second he's anywhere other than this dumpster fire. Also, you should expect him to out-produce Staal because he's much better than Staal. Staal cracked 55 points once in his career, nearly a decade ago. O'Reilly's done that 6 times and for the last 5 years straight.

And no you can't have Mittelstadt.

Carolina's offense is also pretty much a dumpster fire. It's why if we move Hanifin it needs to be for someone who can flat-out score points in bunches and drive our offense. We don't need the defensive ability or face-off ability or intangibles ROR brings...we need a competitor for the scoring title.

Personally, I think you should keep ROR...Buffalo needs him more than Carolina does.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Carolina's offense is also pretty much a dumpster fire. It's why if we move Hanifin it needs to be for someone who can flat-out score points in bunches and drive our offense. We don't need the defensive ability or face-off ability or intangibles ROR brings...we need a competitor for the scoring title.

Personally, I think you should keep ROR...Buffalo needs him more than Carolina does.

Where are you gonna get that kind of a player? Competitors for scoring titles aren't usually available unless you get JT in free agency.

ROR is the best centre available for trade since...ROR (better than Duchene, Turris, Johansen).

ROR for Hanifin is a perfect trade for both teams. It should be done immediately.

The only reason Buffalo should do it is that ROR may be out of his prime by the time Buffalo is ready to compete.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
ahhhh deja vu i remember these oreilly mega threads. is this one full of people saying he is an overrated third liner or has hf figured it out this time around?

It's more like Sabres fans have fixated on what they need and are willfully oblivious to ROR not being what those trade partners need in return for what they want.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
It's more like Sabres fans have fixated on what they need and are willfully oblivious to ROR not being what those trade partners need in return for what they want.

Everyone knows Carolina needs a C though

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
ROR is the best centre available for trade since...ROR (better than Duchene, Turris, Johansen).

This may be where the disconnect is. A futures trade for a guy with that potential (e.g. Casey Mittelstadt) is still better for the Canes than a trade for an established F that doesn't fit our needs.

Carolina is an exceptional defensive team with no offense and beer-league-quality goaltending. We lose 1-0 and 2-0 enough...ROR basically adds nothing for us as we can't win -1 to 0.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
This may be where the disconnect is. A futures trade for a guy with that potential (e.g. Casey Mittelstadt) is still better for the Canes than a trade for an established F that doesn't fit our needs.

Carolina is an exceptional defensive team with no offense and beer-league-quality goaltending. We lose 1-0 and 2-0 enough...ROR basically adds nothing for us as we can't win -1 to 0.

Hey you know your team better than I do. But I'm skeptical that ROR wouldn't improve any team in the league by a considerable amount.

Don't be surprised to see him make his way to Carolina in the summer...I see a perfect match and both organizations have made it clear that changes are coming.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Where are you gonna get that kind of a player? Competitors for scoring titles aren't usually available unless you get JT in free agency.

ROR for Hanifin is a perfect trade for both teams. It should be done immediately.

The only reason Buffalo should do it is that ROR may be out of his prime by the time Buffalo is ready to compete.

They say they don't need him and quite frankly, that's not enough in return for ROR. We gave Zadrov, a 2nd, and 2 prospects for him before he had a long term contract.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
Hey you know your team better than I do. But I'm skeptical that ROR wouldn't improve any team in the league by a considerable amount.

Don't be surprised to see him make his way to Carolina in the summer...I see a perfect match and both organizations have made it clear that changes are coming.

Yup. ROR for Faulk.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
How is this any different from the Sabres and defensemen?

So we have to get bent over the barrel to acquire a center but the Sabres don't to acquire an equivalent d-man? :huh:

No...

The post was that the Sabres fans aren't taking into consideration other teams needs. I just said that we are because Carolina needs a center. It's not like we're trying to trade ROR to Pittsburgh.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
How have Bean and Fleury been doing? Where do they project into the short/long term plans of the organization?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.

A competitor for the scoring title for...N..Noah Hanifin?

Some high expectations there.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
As for RoR...I would put Casey on his wing and stack up the top 6 a bit. I don’t think Buffalo should be dealing theirntop forwards, even for a good defenceman.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Good. They aren’t availble and trading them will make Buffalo worse now and in the future.

Buffalo isn’t one defenseman away from competing for the playoffs. Buffalo is ~6-10 NHL-quality players away. Those players can be acquired much more easily than trading players of ROR or Reinhart’s quality. Buffalo needs to fill out their bottom six and bottom four defense. There’s no point in trading core players in the top six who actually played well.

Haha 6-10 good players away yet you aren’t willing to trade ROR or Reinhart. Can you share your “much more easily” way about how to accomplish this? Every team in the league would like to know.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
How have Bean and Fleury been doing? Where do they project into the short/long term plans of the organization?

Fleury had a solid, but unspectacular rookie season for a player of his type. He started out strong on the defensive side of the puck, but slipped as the season progressed. What is noticeable about Fleury is his skating. Surprisingly, he almost looks more polished than Hanifin in that regard. Unfortunately, Fleury didn't display much in the way of puck skills offensively. He's not a future #1, but I still like him as a complimentary Top 4 defensive defenseman. With Slavin and Pesce already in the Top 4, Fleury is expendable in the right trade, however. If he doesn't have the value to be close to a centerpiece for a good forward, they'll just keep him. Barring any movement, he'll float between the 2nd and 3rd pairing next season, depending on what Faulk and Hanifin need against particular matchups.

I'm not the person to comment on Bean. The organization said some positive things about him back at camp and had it not have been for the logjam on the left side of the blueline, he may have made the team. Short-term, I think he spends a season in Charlotte, much like Fleury did. Long-term, the Canes need someone of his ilk, if a move involving Hanifin or Faulk is made. Still, if the right deal comes along, he's moveable.

I expect a more static approach to the offseason than others.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->