Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The Canes greatest asset this offseason. will be the $25 million in Cap they have. They are much better off trying to trade Faulk, Skinner, Lindholm, etc. and replace them with UFAs while keeping young potential studs like Hanifin. Faulk or Skinner can be replaced by Mike Green and JVR. Hanifin’s #1D potential is nearly impossible to replace outside of the Draft.
Good luck with that.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Canes greatest asset this offseason. will be the $25 million in Cap they have. They are much better off trying to trade Faulk, Skinner, Lindholm, etc. and replace them with UFAs while keeping young potential studs like Hanifin. Faulk or Skinner can be replaced by Mike Green and JVR. Hanifin’s #1D potential is nearly impossible to replace outside of the Draft.

I know. Its a big part of why I've been so adamant that Hanifin not be moved, except possibly in the right futures-for-futures deal.

I was saying, if someone put a gun against my head and forced me to trade for ROR...it's a lot better than the crap where Sabres fans want us to take back McCabe or throw in a top-6 forward.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Good luck with Sabres' fans unrealistic expectations of an ROR return.

Now, please, get off the fixation on trading ROR to the Canes. He's not what we need.
Sure Hanifin for ROR with a swap of picks is unrealistic.

You are showing your hockey knowledge with that statement.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
He's a very talented young defenseman who's been forced to shoulder a huge workload on a very bad team with basically no support. I feel very confident he'd look like a different player on a team that had more than 1 other top 4 defenseman and enough talent up and down its roster to win more than a handful of games.
Yes he's talented. Yes he plays on a bad team. But there have been questions about his game since before he was drafted that are still there. Whatever you want to call it: hockey iq/instincts or whatever, he just doesn't play well enough. Sure, most players would look better if surrounded by elite talent. But that doesn't happen and it's not an excuse when it's used on several players on the same team. Also, look at some other guys on the team like Girgensons and Larsson. They actually looked better when the talent on the team was worse.

Maybe Risto would have had more support if during his rookie and 2nd year they didn't decide to have a yard sale on every piece of NHL talent not nailed down. I was told that was the best way to go, and I said one of the consequences of that decision is that you leave young players without the right kind of support(not saying you were one of those). Now for some of those to say "But he's really good he just doesn't have good teammates" is like the kid who kills his parents and asks for mercy from the court because he's an orphan.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Yes he's talented. Yes he plays on a bad team. But there have been questions about his game since before he was drafted that are still there. Whatever you want to call it: hockey iq/instincts or whatever, he just doesn't play well enough. Sure, most players would look better if surrounded by elite talent. But that doesn't happen and it's not an excuse when it's used on several players on the same team. Also, look at some other guys on the team like Girgensons and Larsson. They actually looked better when the talent on the team was worse.

Maybe Risto would have had more support if during his rookie and 2nd year they didn't decide to have a yard sale on every piece of NHL talent not nailed down. I was told that was the best way to go, and I said one of the consequences of that decision is that you leave young players without the right kind of support(not saying you were one of those). Now for some of those to say "But he's really good he just doesn't have good teammates" is like the kid who kills his parents and asks for mercy from the court because he's an orphan.

The best way to judge a defenceman is to watch him. A meh defenceman can look like a top pairing guy on one team, and the same guy on a different team could look like a AHL'er. Defenceman are the hardest players to judge because there game is heavily impacted by the system there in, the team around him, and his partner. You can put a really good defenceman on a bad team and he looks lost because the team looks lost and visa versa. Nobody can say for a 100% certainty, but if you put Risto on a good team, I believe people on this board would be comparing him some of the better defenceman in the league.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

"Ristolainen is bad because you tanked"

lol

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Absolutely not. Galchenyuk is not a center. In addition, Juulsen isnt a strong enough piece. This deserves a hang up.

I referred to Galchenyuk as a winger so I want to discount everything you said almost solelu on your centre comment. Furthermore the sabres need high-end talent on wing and top 4d. I offered you a first line winger and a 21 year old who did not look out of place playing in a top 4 role for the last quarter for the seadon(his first ever sustained call up). What are the sabres expecting in return for Ryan O'Reilly?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Imo I'd keep ROR. Reinhart for Hanifin. 1 for 1. That's the deal I'd be after.

So would i - i first proposed Reinhart to ARI for 3ov in 2015...

But at this point in time Carolina says no pretty easily or the Sabres need to add something of real value.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Come on, you know deep down this scares Montreal fans more than anything. Bergavin wins the chance to select 2OA and trades the pick for a 1/2 center to get Price some help.

O'Reilly isn't a 1/2 center.

He's a legit first line two way center. Production wise, he's on the low end of 1st line production with an average of 64 points per 82 games while playing for the Sabres, but he is otherwise one of the best defensive forwards in the league, excellent at faceoffs, and can play top minutes against tough competition.

Going off the consensus opinion about the prospects this season (Not my own, since I don't really watch much Junior), I would not give up 1 or 2 for O'Reilly, but for the right team in the right situation, giving up a pick in the defined 2nd tier of prospects (3-7?) for O'Reilly would be good value.

O'Reilly is still only 27 years old. He's cost controlled for the next five seasons without any form of trade protection. His cap hit is very reasonable given where the cap ceiling is at, and considering his contract was front loaded the actual money owed is less than his cap hit.

If Montreal were to get O'Reilly for the 3rd overall pick, it's fair value for them. I don't know if it's the right move given where they are at, but it's not that outlandish if they are trying to be competitive. I think Carolina might be the right team to make that kind of move if they get the 3rd overall pick, and Svechnikov+Dahlin go in the top 2. Especially if the Sabres and Hurricanes can game the trade where as an added consolation, the Sabres wait to send O'Reilly to Carolina until after his signing bonus is paid this season.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Imo I'd keep ROR. Reinhart for Hanifin. 1 for 1. That's the deal I'd be after.

Last offseason it was about fair
Halfway through the season it was laughable as Hanifin was outscoring Reinhart by double (20P/40GP for Hanifin vs 13P/40GP for Reinhart)
Reinhart closes the season with 37P in 38GP while Hanifin fades to make realistic again

I still like Reinhart's game for the Canes but if I am gambling on a young forward I'd rather pay the same/similar price to acquire Puljujarvi from Edmonton.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I referred to Galchenyuk as a winger so I want to discount everything you said almost solelu on your centre comment. Furthermore the sabres need high-end talent on wing and top 4d. I offered you a first line winger and a 21 year old who did not look out of place playing in a top 4 role for the last quarter for the seadon(his first ever sustained call up). What are the sabres expecting in return for Ryan O'Reilly?

Top pairing defenseman for top line C. Anything less is not good enough.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Jets can’t afford his cap hit and if the expected return is a top pairing D we can’t afford to give up the return either.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
If we can get a top 10 pick and a good prospect, I am definitely trading him.
I feel the same. Trade ROR for top 10 pick and prospect and I will take one more year of losing a shot at Jack Hughes and this team coming together in another 2-3 years. Why bother patching this roster together. 2 top 10s this year and next year another top 5 pick and the roster is set.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
Last offseason it was about fair
Halfway through the season it was laughable as Hanifin was outscoring Reinhart by double (20P/40GP for Hanifin vs 13P/40GP for Reinhart)
Reinhart closes the season with 37P in 38GP while Hanifin fades to make realistic again

I still like Reinhart's game for the Canes but if I am gambling on a young forward I'd rather pay the same/similar price to acquire Puljujarvi from Edmonton.

I mean, your entitled to your opinion, but I'm just saying, if Carolina called about trading Hanifin, Reinhart would be the guy I'd trade for him.

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
We are probably looking at that regardless.

It is a possibility. If Botterill doesn't make some great moves, and if guys like Middlestadt and Nylander don't excel right away, we could be looking at a bad team for years. In which case we'd be wasting away O'Reilly's prime years. But if we trade O'Reilly, there's pretty much no hope Buffalo's going to get better any time soon and we're mailing it in for the next few years. Those are pretty much the options as I see it.

Last edited:

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Reinhart for Hanifin is so lopsidedly in favor of the Sabres that you'd be crazy to not be in favor of it.

I'm after Mittelstadt if we're moving Hanifin to Buffalo.
Reinhart might be the 2nd most valuable forward on the team at this point. I think you're being a bit over dramatic. Personally, I'm not even entertaining moving him. Zero interest in moving Mittlestadt at this point either. We've got a severe lack of speed on our team and his skillset fits our needs to a T.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->