Speculation: O'Reilly Mega Thread - ALL ROR Speculation Here

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Maybe? I dunno, this whole Suter injury thing has really shaken my resolve to consider trading any of our defensemen :laugh: From where I'm sitting Spurgeon would probably do the Sabres more good, but if I wanted O'Reilly and they asked for Brodin I wouldn't hang up or anything.

I'd agree to Spurgeon, whom I also think the Sabres need more.

With Suter's injury I wouldn't move Brodin at all this off season. Trade Brodin and Suter's recovery time takes long than expected, then the Wild have Olofsson or Seeler on their top pair.

Dumba would be very hard to trade away after the jump he made this season.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
If your looking for a steady defensive defenseman to play on that second pair you'd be better served making a big push for Calvin De Haan. He'd cost nothing but cash and you wouldn't open a gaping hole that no one in this organization is anywhere close to being able to fill at this point. Not a slight on Brodin, but I'm aiming a bit higher if I'm moving a guy who scores 60 points a year and does all the other things that O'Reilly does for this team.

This is wrong.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
I'd agree to Spurgeon, whom I also think the Sabres need more.

With Suter's injury I wouldn't move Brodin at all this off season. Trade Brodin and Suter's recovery time takes long than expected, then the Wild have Olofsson or Seeler on their top pair.

Dumba would be very hard to trade away after the jump he made this season.

What if Buffalo did something around O’Reilly & McCabe? Would Minnesota be willing to do something around Dumba+?

Sabresruletheschool

Jul 16, 2012
I have mixed feelings about trading O'Reilly. No matter who you'd trade him for, your leaving a big hole down the middle. One that nobody's going to fill anytime soon.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Toronto offers:

2018 1st
2019 1st
Brown

Maybe you don’t want just picks but that is certainly more than you gave up for him. Sorry not giving up Kapanen, Dermott or Liljegren. Obviously not gonna trade Nylander, Marner or Matthews. Thoughts, I know we have a few players like Johnson and Grunstom who are ready to make the jump. Would part with one if needed instead of Brown.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
ROR would be a fantastic addition to either the Flames or Canes.

Sabres are in another rebuild. A package of prospects, especially DMen might be what the team needs. If willing to execute the trade after July 01st (entire salary less $1M is paid), they can increase his trade value.

Flames Offer - Bennett, Valimaki, Kylington
Canes Offer - Bean, Roy, McKeown, 2018-2nd

Players offered are young and more likely available since they’re on the verge or just starting in the league.

Reactions: DON VITO

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Toronto offers:

2018 1st
2019 1st
Brown

Maybe you don’t want just picks but that is certainly more than you gave up for him. Sorry not giving up Kapanen, Dermott or Liljegren. Obviously not gonna trade Nylander, Marner or Matthews. Thoughts, I know we have a few players like Johnson and Grunstom who are ready to make the jump. Would part with one if needed instead of Brown.
Typical HF boards proposal. I want a really valuable piece from your team but none of my teams top prospects are available in return.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Toronto offers:

2018 1st
2019 1st
Brown

No chance Sabres accept that weak package and can easily be exceeded by other teams.

As for the Sabres, the players offered far exceed the Leafs laughable proposal.

Zadorov (1st)
Grigorenko (1st)
Compher (2nd)
2015-31st (2nd)

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
If I'm the Flames I'm going after O'Reilly hard, I'd give up Brodie+Fox. I know Brodie gets a bad rap after a rough couple of seasons but I really think he needs a change of scenery, his wife has had health issues and Gulutzan has all but neutered him here. Buffalo is much closer to his hometown. I believe he can become that top pairing guy we thought we had a couple years ago, and he's only 27. Elite skater, really good offensive sense (multiple 40+ point seasons), has had a lot of brain farts the past couple seasons but I'll assume that his mind has been elsewhere with all that's going on. He's not in a good place right now.

I'm also not convinced Adam Fox wants to sign in Calgary, there are a couple guys ahead of him in the depth chart (Andersson, Valimaki). So if we get the sense he doesn't want to be here, I'd ship him out. He's also from NY state.

I really think the Flames and Sabres can be good trading partners, we're loaded on defence and need to add to our top 6. Honestly I'd throw in Backlund too but not sure if he has a NTC, and Buffalo would have to add a little bit.

You'd need to come to the table with a better offer.

Brodie's 2 remaining years is a non starter. Fox is a nice add, but doesn't offset the value loss.

Start with Hamilton.

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
I'm not trading him for anything less then a sure fire #1 defenseman. Get him some better wingers and roll with him, Jack, and Middlestadt for the next decade

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
Sounds like Buffalo fans are looking for a Johansen/Jones type deal for ROR, I dunno if that's out there to be had....

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Sounds like Buffalo fans are looking for a Johansen/Jones type deal for ROR, I dunno if that's out there to be had....
And that's fine, we just keep O'Reilly then. He's still relatively young and he takes a ton of the tough matchups to help ease the burden on Eichel. Keeping him is a far better idea then selling him for some mid to late 1st's and B prospects or other teams expendable roster players.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
What team is asking?

FWIW, someone suggested he was a buyout candidate recently, so I wouldn't necessarily expect a great discussion coming your way.

The dude is a 60 point 1C who never takes penalties and can play PP+PK. People here seem to think anything over 2 million is an overpayment. Im not a Buffalo fan so this is a Homer defending him, but if you look at what he offers + what he is paid and still think he is overpaid then you have a horrendous understanding of market value in hockey.

The idea of him being a buyout candidate is laughable

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
The dude is a 60 point 1C who never takes penalties and can play PP+PK. People here seem to think anything over 2 million is an overpayment. Im not a Buffalo fan so this is a Homer defending him, but if you look at what he offers + what he is paid and still think he is overpaid then you have a horrendous understanding of market value in hockey.

The idea of him being a buyout candidate is laughable
Trust me, I think he's a valuable player, but people have lost their minds around here about him for some reason.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
And that's fine, we just keep O'Reilly then. He's still relatively young and he takes a ton of the tough matchups to help ease the burden on Eichel. Keeping him is a far better idea then selling him for some mid to late 1st's and B prospects or other teams expendable roster players.

LOL not saying it was wrong, just saying that's what it sounds like,

I would offer Toffoli + but LA doesn't have a true #1 that they would deal for ROR etc

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
You'd need to come to the table with a better offer.

Brodie's 2 remaining years is a non starter. Fox is a nice add, but doesn't offset the value loss.

Start with Hamilton.

I don't know what you think Hamilton's value to the Flames is, but the only way he's going to Buffalo is if Eichel is coming back. So I don't think there is a deal to be made there.

As for his remaining years on his contract, they're good value at 4.5M, and I'd bet he would re-sign in Buffalo at a nice cheap deal (max 6M if he returns to form and plays top 2 minutes) seeing as he's not the type to demand a trade or go to FA. Plus he'd be playing for Phil Housely, a guy who could help elevate Brodie's game seeing as they're very similar defence men.

@CacOBG, if I were a betting man I'd wager that Fox would sign in Buffalo. There's a severe lack of depth defensively so that would guarantee him ice time, and like I mentioned he's from Jericho, NY. Which is a one hour flight from Buffalo if I'm not mistaken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad