News Article: O'Reilly for Poeling + 2nd +... Would you have done it?

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
There were rumors before the draft, and I didn't want it to happen.

Still wouldn't want after this offer being proposed.

We're not a ROR away from being contenders, we lack too many pieces, and I prefer having Poehling in our top 9 eventually than ROR, while being a quality player, struggling to live up to the hype he'd come with.

I'm perfectly fine with the youth movement.

Reactions: Mrb1p

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Value wise it would have been a good trade, depending on the '+' of course.

Still, we're a rebuilding team and shouldn't be dishing young prospects and picks for a 27 year old who is UFA eligible. So no, I'm not sure I would have done it.

Stay the course and build it right.

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
You would have to also think of the cap hit of O'Reilly's contract. At the end of the day I think this would have been a side ways move. They started the plan of a re tool or rebuild and I think they should continue

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
We are fortunate he didn't. ROR is exactly the kind of player AC would jump all over and don't forget he does carry some baggage.
No use adding baggage when we are cleaning the attic.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
Value wise its correct I guess we would have paid the bonus he was due at this price. But timing wise with the age of our group and everything I dont think its a good idea. Poehling seems to be on a great development track and a picture perfect player for our team identity.

I would consider but I would not do it.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
I think the value is fair, Poehling probably projects to be a similar player to O'Reilly actually... But there's no point at this time, let's get a young core going.

Jul 1, 2014
Canada
I'm very happy this trade did not happened, even if I wanted ROR at the time. I'm very high on Poehling and I really want to keep him. He'll be a great part of the team as soon as next season.

Reactions: Redux91 and dralaf

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
I'm very happy this trade did not happened, even if I wanted ROR at the time. I'm very high on Poehling and I really want to keep him. He'll be a great part of the team as soon as next season.

Poehling!

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Poehling may be a ROR type player or at least better than ROR when our "window" opens 2+ years from now. So a no from me.

Reactions: dralaf

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
I think the value is fair, Poehling probably projects to be a similar player to O'Reilly actually... But there's no point at this time, let's get a young core going.

I'm not convinced the value would have been fair. We don't know what the + is.

The Blues sent Tage Thompson (who I would guess must hold similar value to Poehling) on top of Berglund, Sobotka, a 1st and a 2nd.

That would be something like Poehling, Shaw, two high 2nds and Byron. Maybe drop one of the 2nds or Byron/Shaw if you feel the package is stronger. But, Sobotka did very well as St Louis' 3rd line C and Berglund is a somewhat lazy, but good player.

Meh.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
i like that we're focused on getting younger and faster, if that answers your question.

Reactions: dralaf

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I'm not convinced the value would have been fair. We don't know what the + is.

The Blues sent Tage Thompson (who I would guess must hold similar value to Poehling) on top of Berglund, Sobotka, a 1st and a 2nd.

That would be something like Poehling, Shaw, two high 2nds and Byron. Maybe drop one of the 2nds or Byron/Shaw if you feel the package is stronger. But, Sobotka did very well as St Louis' 3rd line C and Berglund is a somewhat lazy, but good player.

Meh.
Of course I cant say for sure, but it doesn't seem like the + would be more than a high 2nd. As for the trade, I wouldnt habs sohe it either. However, if we had Sergachev and Radulov, I would have done it.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I would consider it, especially if I could trade Pacioretty for a good PMD.

I wonder what the + was though, as Poehling and a 2nd seems like something Bergevin would've jumped on, especially if the plan isn't too rebuild.

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Poehling would have to exceed all expectations to translate as a ROR - player who's probably not a 1C but still averages 60pts/82 . If it's just the 2nd, deal is good value.

But I was against trading for ROR - or any short term move - to begin with, so I wouldn't do it.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
That Athletic article with Basu and Godin interviewing Bergevin was absolutely fantastic. Really interesting to get insight on how Bergevin saw O'Reilly, Kotkaniemi, Alzner, Domi at center, Price and Weber regarding the rebuild, his philosophy for building the team, etc. Easy to understand Bergevin's philosophy when it's all laid out like that. Highly recommend checking it out if you're subscribed.

Reactions: jaffy27, 417 and 76

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Poehling would have to exceed all expectations to translate as a ROR - player who's probably not a 1C but still averages 60pts/82 . If it's just the 2nd, deal is good value.

But I was against trading for ROR - or any short term move - to begin with, so I wouldn't do it.
The lack of a top pairing LHD is the reason why I wouldn't do the trade.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have seen products being sold and the seller comparing it to a known item and selling it at a lesser but similar price and I have always thought I would just buy the known item at a bit higher price. So when I read Poehling has the potential of being an ROR, I ask, why not just get ROR instead, given that ROR is just 27 years old and in his prime, and has 5 years left on his contract, which should all be very good years.

But its more complicated than that.

So at that point in time of this possible deal we had Poehling, who, given his real good D plus 1 I would just say my gut tells me he has a 50/50 chance of being a top 6C. We were about to take Kotkaniemi. Combined, these 2 youngsters would give us a real good shot at one becoming a top 6 C, and a chance both would. Remove Poehling and its just Kotkaniemi. And if Kotkaniemi was a flop we would just have ROR. In that case ROR would for sure help us be a better team and get more points, but not a contender. So we would be mediocre and draft lower.

Value wise this trade is a very good one for us as long as Poehling was the real big piece from us and the plus was relatively small. But I want a Cup, not just a better team. So I would likely have said no. However, there was a rumoured trade whereby we trade Patches to the Isles, they flip the 12th OA to the Sabres, and we get ROR. That I would have done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad