News Article: O'Reilly for Poeling + 2nd +... Would you have done it?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Interesting piece in the Athletic this morning where, in an interview with M. Bergevin done at the beginning of the season, Montreal GM says that Botteril was asking for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick, "+" for Ryan O'Reilly.

From Poehling to Price: why Marc Bergevin's plan must...

“When I asked about O’Reilly, they’re asking for Poehling,” Bergevin said while sitting in a luxury suite at Scotiabank Arena in Toronto just prior to the season opener last week. “That’s a starter. And a second (round pick), and this, and that and whoa, whoa, whoa.”

Canadiens felt the price was too high and backed off.

Let's say Botteril called back and said he would have done O'Reilly for Poeling + 2nd (#35 in 2018).

Would you have done it?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Did MB just pull the yada yada yada card? Poehling, 2nd, yada yada yada. (For any Seinfeld fans).

I wouldn't have done this trade because I don't think the Habs were at the stage to be trading prospects for prime players, but value wise, we can't base a strong opinion until we know what the other peices to the deal were.

Reactions: Habby Gilmore

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Did MB just pull the yada yada yada card? Poehling, 2nd, yada yada yada. (For any Seinfeld fans).

I wouldn't have done this trade because I don't think the Habs were at the stage to be trading prospects for prime players, but value wise, we can't base a strong opinion until we know what the other peices to the deal were.

I don't know the +, but still, the question stands;

Poeling + #35 in 2018 (nothing else): would we have done it?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No, you don't make all in moves when you are not cup contenders. Ask the Sens when they traded youth for Duchene. Now back when we won our last division, I would of considered to make that move for either Duchene or ROR. But the idea is we keep all our top players and don't lose Radulov and Markov the following season.

Galchenyuk / MD or ROR / Radulov
Patch / Danault / Byron
Lehkonen / Pleky / Gallagher
Ott / Shaw / Mitchell

Flynn, Martinsen

Markov / Weber
Emelin / Petry
Beaulieu / Benn

Davidson

Price
Montoya

I think we could of beat the Rangers and Sens if we had a top center. Who knows against the Pens.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Nope. And glad they didn't do it. I like ROR but I think Poehling may end up becoming the Habs' ROR at some point.

If I understood correctly, they were asking for Poehling + a 2nd in one offer and there was another involving the 3rd Overall + more. Or various variations involving all those pieces.

Also on the Poehling note, MB mentioned that at the draft, Minnesota offered a roster player that could jump into the Habs line-up immediately for their 26th pick. When Habs saw that Poehling was falling to them, they opted to keep the pick and select Poehling. Fletcher told MB later that Poehling was the player they wanted to move up for.

Worth noting that when Habs and Sabres were taking trade, Poehling was Habs' best prospect, and best center prospect. Reason to believe they knew they would add Kotkaniemi, but he wasn't selected yet. And they had no idea Suzuki would also end up in the organization. And I think for the future, Habs were smart to hold onto Poehling.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Nope. And glad they didn't do it. I like ROR but I think Poehling may end up becoming the Habs' ROR at some point.

If I understood correctly, they were asking for Poehling + a 2nd in one offer and there was another involving the 3rd Overall + more. Or various variations involving all those pieces.

Yeah, but in the piece, Bergevin made it pretty clear that 3rd overall was a non-starter, but he seriously considered the Poeling + trade, and talked about it with the team staff.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah, but in the piece, Bergevin made it pretty clear that 3rd overall was a non-starter, but he seriously considered the Poehling + trade, and talked about it with the team staff.

If Bergevin makes the ROR for Poehling, 2nd, + trade. We don't trade Patch.

Something else to consider is to look at what the Blues gave and compare it to Poehling, 2nd, +. If that deal was actually on the table for the Habs, the Sabres were very high on Poehling. Something of an eye opener on Poehling's value to some who don't think he is a 2nd line center potential.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Drouin ROR Gally
Domi Kotkanieni Lehkonen
Hudon Danault Armia
DLR Peca Shaw

That looks like a pretty competitive forward group. ROR is only 27 and has a few more years in the tank. So I thin I'd make that trade IF we were able to secure a top 2 LHD to play with Weber on top. At that point, I think we're a lot more competitive then we are now.

It's a tough call but the question is will Poehling develop into a better center than ROR and nothing in Montreal's drafting and developing in the past 25 years suggests he will. ROR IS a top 2 NHL center and relies on his IQ so he should be this level for years to come. Poehling, though very promising, hasn't proven he's a top 2 NHL center. I hope I'm wrong but time will tell.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I really like Poehling, but at best I think he turns out to be an O’Reilly. And that’s best case scenario. When you know you’re getting Kotkaniemi and believe to be able to get Suzuki, I think you do it. However, I’m okay with not doing it too.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
With hindsight acquiring him looks better, but at the time Kotkaniemi was still looked at to be a pretty big project. Him and O'Reilly on the roster this season would be nice, but it was just an unknown quantity at the time to put O'Reilly on this team in June.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Interesting piece in the Athletic this morning where, in an interview with M. Bergevin done at the beginning of the season, Montreal GM says that Botteril was asking for Ryan Poeling, 2nd round pick, "+" for Ryan O'Reilly.

From Poehling to Price: why Marc Bergevin's plan must...

Canadiens felt the price was too high and backed off.

Let's say Botteril called back and said he would have done O'Reilly for Poeling + 2nd (#35 in 2018).

Would you have done it?

Trading a package involving a late first/top prospect package is something we should have done starting in 2012 up to the moment that core couldn't compete anymore. Centers were our biggest need at that moment so had MB managed to snatch another center plus O'reilly, we could have been legitimate cup contenders and losing out on pretty much every of our first and second rounders from 2012 to 2015 would have been fine.

Now though ? No. We should be restocking the prospect pool and Poehling is too good a player to give for a 27 yo on a big contract who wont put us over the top.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Depends on what other moves are in the hopper. That's a pretty good deal for a player of ROR's caliber.

I'm fine with the youth movement, but I need more from Montreal. They still haven't really picked a direction.

Although, if Bergevin didn't screw up as badly as he did with the Subban and Sergachev trades, didn't sign Alzner and re-signed Radulov then it would be a hard yes.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Depends on what other moves are in the hopper. That's a pretty good deal for a player of ROR's caliber.

I'm fine with the youth movement, but I need more from Montreal. They still haven't really picked a direction.

Oh we do, it's kind of rebuilding, kind of competing, but not really. Keep up man :sarcasm:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
I would not do it. You have to value youth even if you are going for it. Young players have massive value to everyone other than MB. If Poehling is a #3 he'll be a cheap #3 for years. ROR is really good but expensive for less time, possibly not long enough for the guys to develop. You need a plan, though. You may need a few veterans but you don't trade for old guys and then go young or go all in and then trade vets for picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->