Speculation: Order of Finish in the Central for 2018-19

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Well passing the 1/3 mark of the season, this season clearly didn't go as predicted by the board...

I swear I remember a few posters being called foolish for predicting the Blues finish 5th, or miss the playoffs entirely - but can't find the right thread... Who else predicted the Blues finish 4th or lower in division and where did you originally post said prediction?

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Well passing the 1/3 mark of the season, this season clearly didn't go as predicted by the board...

I swear I remember a few posters being called foolish for predicting the Blues finish 5th, or miss the playoffs entirely - but can't find the right thread... Who else predicted the Blues finish 4th or lower in division and where did you originally post said prediction?

There was a poll here: How does the 2018-2019 season end for the St. Louis Blues?

Of 54 votes, only 2 had us missing the playoffs, and only 7 more had us out in the first round. I was one of those 7. More people than that voted us winning the cup, which seemed a tad optimistic even without the benefit of hindsight.

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I'll admit I was one of the ill-fated who believed this team could lose in the Cup Finals. I thought they'd make a trade for a goalie to replace Allen and all would be good. Man is hindsight kicking my *** right now.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Well, everyone did nail Chicago being last. And, Girth Butcher nailed Q being fired by Christmas if things didn't get righted there. Plus, give credit to people who suggested the Blues might get off to a slow start. [Though I'm not sure they meant this much of a slow start.] Clearly, concerns about goaltending and coaching were noted and became the problems many feared - but I don't think people expected the defense to break down like it has.

Reactions: stlwahoo

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
  1. Nashville. I think they have something to prove.
  2. Winnipeg. Losing Stastny hurts, but still a powerhouse. Look out if Hellebuyck lives up to his contract.
  3. St. Louis. Made the most improvements, but that is a lot of new faces. I wouldn't be surprised by a sluggish, confused start while players get used to each other and lines are juggled. Could cost a few points in the competitive Central. Aaaand ... there's Allen.
  4. Colorado. Improved and pumped after last seasons emotional finish. Still not good enough, yet.
  5. Dallas. Not with that defense and goaltending.
  6. Chicago. Bad, but not as bad as some Blues fans think, (Or rather, want :)).
  7. Minnesota. Stood pat, and have a whole lot of mediocrity.

Gotta say, simon IC, you did well. Not the placement, of course, but the worrisome part.

Saint Loser

"(they) are unavoidably unsafe" - SCOTUS
Mar 16, 2018
Tier 1 - The Best (Could flip, but the top 2 teams in the division):
1) Winnipeg
2) Nashville

Tier 2 - The Rest
3) Colorado
4) St. Louis
5) Minnesota
6) Dallas

Tier 3 - Uggh
7) Chicago

Blues make the playoffs as a WC, get smoked in the first round. We filled a couple glaring holes. Then we got so excited, we kept filling ones that didn't exist while ignoring the two glaring ones. Our PP will still suck since we didn't address the coaching issues and our goal-tending sucks. We will have one of our deepest teams ever and still fizzle out.
Another good one.

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018

No written proof but I told all my hockey-friends and work colleagues (around 7 people) before the pre-season even started (also have repeatedly stated the Red Wings had a better chance of making the playoffs this year). Originally had the Blues picked last in the Central but moved them ahead of Chicago and Minnesota after the O'Reilly trade, still well out of playoff picture.

The BLUF is that you all should have seen this coming. The Blues did not make the playoffs last year, their offense basically stayed pat (gains replaced losses) but their defense got worse (older) and their goaltending got worse and they did not make a coaching change. Also, THE REST OF THE CENTRAL DIVISION (minus CHI) GOT STRONGER. The points have to come from somewhere, and not being able to gain those points from inside their division (except for from Chicago) was likely to keep them out even without the team regressing. I was honestly shocked that anyone (including a lot of 'talking heads' in the sports media) actually had the Blues picked to do well this year.

Earliest post about it on here was this one The St. Louis Blues...look bad.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
No written proof but I told all my hockey-friends and work colleagues (around 7 people) before the pre-season even started (also have repeatedly stated the Red Wings had a better chance of making the playoffs this year). Originally had the Blues picked last in the Central but moved them ahead of Chicago and Minnesota after the O'Reilly trade, still well out of playoff picture.

The BLUF is that you all should have seen this coming. The Blues did not make the playoffs last year, their offense basically stayed pat (gains replaced losses) but their defense got worse (older) and their goaltending got worse and they did not make a coaching change. Also, THE REST OF THE CENTRAL DIVISION (minus CHI) GOT STRONGER. The points have to come from somewhere, and not being able to gain those points from inside their division (except for from Chicago) was likely to keep them out even without the team regressing. I was honestly shocked that anyone (including a lot of 'talking heads' in the sports media) actually had the Blues picked to do well this year.

you haven't been paying attention. The Blues got their teeth kicked in by Chicago this year. lol

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011

Did you see the Blues resurgence coming? :D

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
1. Winnipeg
2. St.Louis
3. Nashville

4. Colorado

5. Minnesota
6. Chicago
7. Dallas

I think between adding an entire 3rd line, getting Fabbri back, adding Thomas and upgrading from Stastny to O'Reilly we have unquestionably upgraded more in one off season than any team in the league. Personally I think we have passed Nashville in terms of skaters but who knows what Jake Allen will show up and we still have a head coach that seems to have certain unwanted trends that follow him around. I may be a bit optimistic here placing the Blues 2nd but I think our group of skaters can now compete with anyone in the division including Winnipeg. I completely understand some placing the Blues 3rd or even 4th in this very competitive division, but I don't think there's any way we finish lower than 4th and Colorado would need a lot of things to go right to beat us out for 3rd.

I really blew it with Dallas and we still may not beat out Nashville for 2nd.

I can only laugh when I'm seeing myself saying that I know Jake Allen and the coaching staff are major problems but.............I predict they will use ROR as a magic jump pole to vault over other teams not named WPG cause reasons. I imagine the look of shock on my face from Oct 2018 - Dec 2018 was pretty funny( for other people, I was obviously pissed off).

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Robb_K

cartoonist
Winnipeg's youth is going to get better and better. No other Central team will be able to pass them if their key players stay healthy. 2nd will be fought for by The Blues and Nashville. How Allen plays will decide that. No way to call that now. Colorado is moving up. But, their defence needs to be improved for them to make that jump. I don't see that happening yet, in the upcoming season. Dallas still has a relatively weak defence, which will improve, but not enough. Their goaltending is also not good enough to move them up. Minnesota is spinning its wheels with aging stars and 2 giant contracts holding them back from getting some help.

Winnipeg
St. Louis
Nashville
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago

I had it pegged right, too(IF The Blues and Preds finish on their current trajectory, and The Blues finish ahead of The Preds)! But, didn't expect such a weak start and strong finish, and Binnington carrying the load. I expected Husso's good play helping Allen, and, moreso, The Blues, when Allen would falter. I picked them to make it to The Western Conference Finals, but to lose there, in a close series. Maybe that will still happen. But the only team I see with a large edge over The Blues is The Lightning.​

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Blues win the next 6 and pass the Preds and Jets
I think The Blues pass The Preds, but not The Jets. They have home ice advantage over The Preds. That means 1 less game The Blues would be tempted to start Allen! :naughty: The Blues win the series 4-3. Blues then beat the Pacific Division team they play, but lose to The Jets in The Western Conference Finals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->