Speculation: Order of Finish in the Central for 2018-19

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I actually feel this is a year were the Central kinda goes in tiers

1: Winnipeg: I assume they make another move for a Center by playoff time. The forward core is great, the defense is good, I like their goalie. They feel like "Team to beat in the Central who gets taken out round 2 in the playoffs" to me.

2. St. Louis Still a question mark or three away from being able to call them a favorite, but feels like we could do tons of damage if the chips fall in the right places. I think we are the deepest team in the NHL, just before the new market ineffiicency becomes massive depth. Not sure if this is the year, but I think our next 2 seasons might be the best shot at the entire thing we might get for a long while.

3 Nashville- They haven't really gotten worse, but they don't feel like they got better either, which likely means this is the year they drop off or win the entire thing. I think the winner of the Blues/Preds series powers through Winnipeg to the conference finals.

And then a drop, a pretty sizable one at that.

4. Dallas. Great offense. Still haven't plugged their holes on D or G. Feel like they finish 4th by default but could miss entierly.

5. Colorado. Nathan McKinnon and a bunch of other guys. Remember when Colorado about 5 years ago got really good out of nowhere, made the playoffs, got outclassed, then went right back to being a bundle of meh? I anticipate that happens again.

6. Chicago: Just kinda there. Feel like a bottom 10 team in the league to me, just not bottom 5.

7. Minnesota. Pick a team in the West you think is a safe bet to drop all the way out of the playoffs to bottom feeder like Edmonton did last year. Some might say Vegas, but it's just clearly Minnesota to me. If Staal goes from 40 goal scorer down to 25 and aging continues to destroy their old and overpaid core, this could be a perfect situation to lead to a team completely crumbling.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
So trying to be objective here, I think that all of our new additions are great but man is the Central ever beastly...

Winnipeg
Colorado
Nashville
St Louis

Make the big dance, in that order.

Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago

Winnipeg, even without Stas has the firepower and goaltending to blow away the competition, even if their blue line regresses.

Colorado I think takes a small step back from the tear they finished the last half of the season on - but have a pretty good team and just improved their goaltending significantly. If MacKinnon and Ratannen can come within 10 points of their breakout performances last year, I have trouble seeing Colorado finishing outside the top 3 in division.

Nashville, despite not having offensive standouts, is pretty loaded top to bottom with a tremendous blue line. I feel Rinne may decline if they ride him too hard, but Saaros is a competent guy to pick up the starts needed to keep them in the mix.

Us. Well as previously stated, we're looking at about 50% turn over with our forward core heading into the season. I can foresee some growing pains on that account. I suspect that we're really going to miss Brodziak and Upshall on the PK (it was only a matter of time before the guard turned over) and our regression on the PK will offset the improvement of the PP. Meaning this season's outcome is going to rely on our even strength scoring and goaltending - which can't be worse than last year from Allen, but likely Johnson won't be as good as Hutton was last year. I don't expect major changes to our season point totals - I believe we're going to be in the 90-100 point range at the end of the season.

Dallas is still top heavy, with a inadequate blue line. A new coach may help them play better as a unit, but can't mask all the holes - but Dallas is going to be a force to recon with in another season or two when they get the scoring depth and blue chip prospects arrive.

Minnesota is average top to bottom. A standout performance from Zucker, Dumba, repeat from Staal and healthy Suter will have them as a fringe playoff team, but baring a drop off from another team in our division and career seasons from multiple players they miss the playoffs.

Chicago. On top of wanting to see them fail (okay, I tried to get the bias out and failed at last...), I just have too many questions about Crawford's health, the blue line and the ability of everyone outside of P Kane, Debrincat and Schmaltz to produce consistently and significantly enough to bring Chicago off the Central floor this season.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Winnipeg - they are the real deal outside of their LHD, and 2C, but that’s assuming the Trouba situation gets worked out soon.

St. Louis - this was always our year to me since about three years ago. I could have never imagined that we make the moves we have made, but I had been banking on a reinforcement of Dunn, Kyrou, Thomas, Kostin, Thompson, Walman, and Husso to take us over the top, and so far it seems like three of those pieces are ready to make a big impact. Allen is the wild card to me - not team chemistry or whatever. I think Allen will surprise on occasion (in a good way), his average starts will be boosted by our offense to wins, his bad starts will be less detrimental, and his horrible starts will be mitigated enough to prevent them from becoming chronic.

Nashville - they have fallen behind STL and WPG at forward, and depending on what WPG adds at 2C, I’d likely pick WPG’s center over NSH. Their defense is too good to not make the playoffs, and their tandem is excellent.

Minnesota - they are still a Boudreau team, so they are going to be competing hard for the playoffs. I think they will make it in, but just barely. A few of their prospects might surprise this year and bring some much needed offensive talent, youth, and speed to their roster.

Colorado - Mackinnon will mackinnon. The team as a whole will cease to be a bunch of unknowns and become a team of household names that are universally recognized as the future. They’ll just barely miss the playoffs, and it will be due to their defense.

Dallas - I continue to alternate between Dallas and Colorado for these two spots. I went with Dallas here because I had forgotten Grubauer. Dallas just doesn’t have enough outside of their top line to compete in the Central. They have better forward depth than some wish to admit, but their defense and tandem are both too weak in comparison to the teams above them. If they were in a weaker division they would make the playoffs on their top talent alone.

Chicago - a lot has to go right for them to even challenge to make the playoffs. Crawford’s health, bounce-back years from everyone over the age of 27 - including Cam Ward, and bo help from rookies and nobody defensemen. I just don’t see most of any of that happening, so I’m expecting Chicago to be the only team in the Central to not eclipse 85pts.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
The last team to win the Central two years in a row was Detroit. That will still be true after this year.

1. Winnipeg

The Jets have no obvious flaws. The loss of Stastny hurts, but they’ve got the depth to make up for it. Jack Roslovic should be the first in line to get a chance to step up. The Jets locked up goalie Connor Hellebuyck after a breakout performance and with this possibly being Blake Wheeler’s final hurrah in Winnipeg, the Jets are going for it. This is the best team in the Central and the Western Conference.

2. Nashville

A year after becoming the darling of the hockey world, Nashville fell short of the ultimate goal, in part because of disappointing seasons from their two centers up front. They still have a very loaded defensive core however, and also will get to see a full season of talented forward Eeli Tolvanen. The Predators and the next team on this list have fairly similar looking teams with the glaring difference being in net. That gives the Preds the edge.

3. St. Louis

The most improved team this offseason. No team filled more holes while also having the type of prospects on the verge of breaking through. With this many new forwards though, there should be growing pains too. St. Louis returns to the playoffs after a one year absence.

4. Colorado

The surprise team of last season, Colorado didn’t do a ton this offseason, but they may have found their goalie of the future while only having to sacrifice a second round pick. Nathan Mackinnon was a Hart contender and he’ll have to be again if the Avs want to go back to the playoffs.

5. Dallas

It’s been an off-season of what could have been for the Stars. One of the six that Tavares met with, the Stars had high hopes, but in the end, they’re still left with Radek Faksa as their second line center. It’s not all bad in Big D though. Talented Finnish defenseman Miro Heiskanen should be coming over to help a Stars blue line that desperately needs it.

6. Chicago

The class of the NHL for the last decade, Chicago has come to the point of the dynasty where Father Time wins. Marian Hossa is gone, Brent Seabrook they wish was gone, and Jonathan Toews has become a mere mortal. The hopes of this Original Six franchise are now pinned to a couple of young, recent draft picks in Nick Schmaltz and Alex DeBrincat. And never forget Patrick Kane. A healthy Corey Crawford could make a world of difference for the Hawks.

7. Minnesota

It’s a testament to how good the Central is that we’re talking about a team like the Minnesota Wild as the last place team. A team that is stuck spinning their wheels thanks to a couple of anchor contracts given to hometown heroes, Minnesota simply didn’t have the financial flexibility to keep up with the top teams in this division. The saying goes, if you’re not moving forward, you’re going backwards. Minnesota has watched multiple teams in the West this summer drive right past them into the playoffs, leaving the Wild out in the cold.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Tier 1 - The Best (Could flip, but the top 2 teams in the division):
1) Winnipeg
2) Nashville

Tier 2 - The Rest
3) Colorado
4) St. Louis
5) Minnesota
6) Dallas

Tier 3 - Uggh
7) Chicago

Blues make the playoffs as a WC, get smoked in the first round. We filled a couple glaring holes. Then we got so excited, we kept filling ones that didn't exist while ignoring the two glaring ones. Our PP will still suck since we didn't address the coaching issues and our goal-tending sucks. We will have one of our deepest teams ever and still fizzle out.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
1) Winnipeg
2) Nashville

Tier 2 - The Rest
3) Colorado
4) St. Louis
5) Minnesota
6) Dallas

Tier 3 - Uggh
7) Chicago

Blues make the playoffs as a WC, get smoked in the first round. We filled a couple glaring holes. Then we got so excited, we kept filling ones that didn't exist while ignoring the two glaring ones. Our PP will still suck since we didn't address the coaching issues and our goal-tending sucks. We will have one of our deepest teams ever and still fizzle out.

You probably have more confidence in Jake than I do. I just have more confidence than you that Army will not let this season be ruined by that guy. He'll address it before it's too late, even if that means calling up Husso, or acquiring a guy from another club. Regardless of how he plays, I think Jake's days are numbered. If he got white-hot and put up a Vezina-caliber season, maybe, maybe, Army considers the possibility that he's finally "gotten it", but even then:
1) he's still got to be damn tempted to get out of the Allen-business while the getting is good, and some other sucker is willing to take him.
2) Jake's always going to be a softie-away from a potential season-crippling slump.
3) There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
4) He's the glaring weakness on a team that is otherwised stacked. No way can Army be satisfied with a volatile question-mark in the most critical position.

Last edited:

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
You probably have more confidence in Jake than I do.
I just have more confidence than you that Army will not let this season be ruined by that guy. He'll address it before it's too late, even if that means calling up Husso, or acquiring a guy from another club. Regardless of how he plays, I think Jake's days are numbered. If he got white-hot and put up a Vezina-caliber season, maybe, maybe, Army considers the possibility that he's finally "gotten it", but even then
1) he's still got to be damn tempted to get out of the Allen-business while the getting is good, and some other sucker is willing to take him.
2) Jake's always going to be a softie-away from a potential season-crippling slump.
3) There's an old saying in Tennessee — I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee — that says, fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again.
4) He's the glaring weakness on a team that is otherwised stacked. No way can Army be satisfied with a volatile question-mark in the most critical position.

:mad: I am highly offended by the bolded. It is impossible for me to have more confidence in Allen than anyone else. I have absolute zero confidence in him. If you put him out in a pee wee league game, I'd bet on the other team and tell the 6 year olds to go short-side. Ranksu has more confidence in Allen than I do. Sure he calls him kitten soft all the time, but kitten's are at least cute, whereas Jake Allen does not have any redeeming qualities.

If Armstrong is so savvy about fixing the Jake Allen problem, then why is there a Jake Allen problem?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
:mad: I am highly offended by the bolded. It is impossible for me to have more confidence in Allen than anyone else. I have absolute zero confidence in him. If you put him out in a pee wee league game, I'd bet on the other team and tell the 6 year olds to go short-side. Ranksu has more confidence in Allen than I do. Sure he calls him kitten soft all the time, but kitten's are at least cute, whereas Jake Allen does not have any redeeming qualities.

If Armstrong is so savvy about fixing the Jake Allen problem, then why is there a Jake Allen problem?

Seems like an OT-thread that could gain some traction - 'Things we're more confident in than Jake Allen"
* Putin winning a humanitarian award
* Life being discovered on the Europa
* Mike Yeo launching a brand of skin-care products
...and so on.

I'm hopeful Army's got one more master-stroke of genius left in that GM-chair for this season and he can bury the 800lb. goaltending gorilla alongside Koko. That's not too much to ask, right?

Reactions: simon IC

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I think Doug will pull another magic trick if Allen falters again. He did way too much great work this off-season to let that schmuck ruin it.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
As of today: I’d go with these

St. Louis
Winnipeg
Nashville
Dallas
Colorado
Minnesota
Chicago

I think Jake has a year similar to 15-16, and our depth will be too much for most teams in the regular season. I also want to avoid the dreadful 2/3 matchup.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
Guys, I just can't see Chicago being as bad as last year. Trust me, I'd love to see it, but I can't see them being the Central's doormat.

Coach Q will get that fixed and they will make the Playoffs, or he'll be fired by Christmas.

Wpg
Nsh
Chi
Stl/Dal

And all 4 teams will be a coin flip until the last week of the season. It's going to be the most competitive division and best battles night in and night out.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
Guys, I just can't see Chicago being as bad as last year. Trust me, I'd love to see it, but I can't see them being the Central's doormat.

Coach Q will get that fixed and they will make the Playoffs, or he'll be fired by Christmas.

Wpg
Nsh
Chi
Stl/Dal

And all 4 teams will be a coin flip until the last week of the season. It's going to be the most competitive division and best battles night in and night out.

Please tell me how you fix the Blackhawks, when their biggest problems are "Old" and "Not Good Enough"

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
1) Winnipeg
2) Nashville

Tier 2 - The Rest
3) Colorado
4) St. Louis
5) Minnesota
6) Dallas

Tier 3 - Uggh
7) Chicago

Brilliant post! I wholeheartedly agree!

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Winnipeg's youth is going to get better and better. No other Central team will be able to pass them if their key players stay healthy. 2nd will be fought for by The Blues and Nashville. How Allen plays will decide that. No way to call that now. Colorado is moving up. But, their defence needs to be improved for them to make that jump. I don't see that happening yet, in the upcoming season. Dallas still has a relatively weak defence, which will improve, but not enough. Their goaltending is also not good enough to move them up. Minnesota is spinning its wheels with aging stars and 2 giant contracts holding them back from getting some help.

Winnipeg
St. Louis
Nashville
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago

How The Blues perform in The Playoffs will also depend heavily on how Allan or Husso play. If anyone else is in goal, The Blues are probably in trouble.

RR10

Jul 2, 2018
1. Nashville
2. Winnipeg
3. St Louis
4. Dallas
5. Minnesota
6. Colorado
7. Chicago

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Winni
St. Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Minni
Chicago
Colorado

I won't get fooled again by Colorado's every other year of competing for a playoff spot and then reverting to a bottom feeder. Allen isn't good, but the other parts of the team cover for him enough to slide into that top 3 in the division

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Remember when Dallas won the off-season and everyone picked them to kill it...... I think we look very good but this is a brand new team that may take a month or two to find out their places.

sample lineup just stolen from the other thread

Perron-O’Reilly-Tarasenko
Schwartz-Schenn-Maroon
Steen-Bozak-Kyrou
Fabbri-Thomas-Jaskin
Barbashev, Soshnikov

we have over 50% of our lineup new this year, I think it may take a little bit to gel, but if we can put it together for a playoff run we should do well. I rank the division in these tiers solely for the fact we had so much turn over.

Winnipeg
Nashville

St. Louis
Colorado

Dallas
Minnesota

Chicago

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
#1: Blues
#2-#6: Who cares
#7: Chicago

I just think us winning the division is a stretch...

I'll be very surprised if we're any higher than 3rd in division - and in that scenario, being a wildcard team is likely better than that 2/3 matchup in the playoffs...

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Doesn't matter where you finish during the regular season, as long as you make the playoffs. History has proven that any team that makes the playoffs can win the cup, regardless of their regular season records.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Ugh, this is difficult. I'm a Flyers fan, so I didn't mean to have any sort of StL Bias:

The end result could be the exact opposite, but this is what I am going with:

St Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Chicago

Reactions: simon IC

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
Ugh, this is difficult. I'm a Flyers fan, so I didn't mean to have any sort of StL Bias:

St Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Chicago
Appreciate the input! It is always refreshing to hear the perspective of a fan of another team. :)

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands

St Louis
Nashville
Dallas
Winnipeg
Minnesota
Colorado
Chicago
Winnipeg 4th???? They lost Stastny, but Laine and the other young players should be improving by leaps and bounds, heading into their primes. Their defence will improve, and their goaltending is above average. How will Dallas and The Blues finish ahead of them, even if Nashville somehow eeks ahead? Dallas still has a weak defence, with kids learning to play. Their goaltending is also suspect. No way they finish ahead of The Jets. Minnesota should be on a downward trend. I don't see them even finishing ahead of Colorado. But maybe they can stay ahead of Dallas. As a Flyers fan, I'd have to guess that you don't get to watch The Central teams very much.

I could see The Blues moving up into a dogfight with The Jets and Preds, IF Allen comes back to his 2015-16 form. Colorado Dallas and Minnesota fight for the last playoff position. If Allen implodes again, I'd love to see Husso thrive with a lot of NHL work. Learning on the job under pressure! Sink or swim. I think he's up to it. He has good positioning, technically sound, good judgement, reads plays fairly well, good anticipation, is a decent puck handler, and has good reflexes. All the tools- well-rounded. So far, he hasn't shown himself to be a "head case". Let's hope he's the type that remains poised no matter what is happening.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
1. Winnipeg
2. St.Louis
3. Nashville

4. Colorado

5. Minnesota
6. Chicago
7. Dallas

I think between adding an entire 3rd line, getting Fabbri back, adding Thomas and upgrading from Stastny to O'Reilly we have unquestionably upgraded more in one off season than any team in the league. Personally I think we have passed Nashville in terms of skaters but who knows what Jake Allen will show up and we still have a head coach that seems to have certain unwanted trends that follow him around. I may be a bit optimistic here placing the Blues 2nd but I think our group of skaters can now compete with anyone in the division including Winnipeg. I completely understand some placing the Blues 3rd or even 4th in this very competitive division, but I don't think there's any way we finish lower than 4th and Colorado would need a lot of things to go right to beat us out for 3rd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->