Aug 30, 2011
Winnipeg
Nashville
St. Louis
Colorado
Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago
This is what I'm predicting too. The top 4 make the playoffs.

WPG, NSH, STL are contenders. COL is trending up. CHI is re-tooling (albeit poorly), DAL is meh, but at least has some potential. Minnesota is just in no-man's land, I don't even know how their fans could have any hope for their direction. I think they'll start sliding.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Nashville is due for a Bluesy type regression year so I'll say

Winnipeg*
St. Louis
Colorado
--------------------- Wild Card
Nashville
--------------------- Golfers
Dallas
Minnesota
Chicago

* President's Trophy winner

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Rather wait until pre-season for the 'official' vote, since the off-season is still on-going, but I think Nashville & the Peg take a step back. STL and Colorado move up, Dallas & Minnesota spin their wheels in the mud and Chicago goes straight in the shitter:

STL
WPG
NASH
COL

MIN
DAL

CHI

Taking 1st in the division should very well be the expectations of this club, and it's critical to any post-season success to avoid that 2/3 hell-matchup in the Central.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I think the Blues made a lot of solid moves this off season and with the progression of the youngsters, I think it will go like this:

StL - Most active offseason - will depend on Yeo and improved PP more then anything else
Wpg - Lost Stas with no replacement and that was a big loss as he was one of their better players down the stretch - and led the kids well. That is a very large unfilled void.
Nash - I like our forward depth better, and the D is pretty similar - plus all the Subban drama and they stood pat this offseason

It is very possible that the Central only send 3 teams to the playoffs as West made some solid additions.

Col - made a few underrated moves and improved goal-tending, I think they might surprise a bit, but still have issues on D beyond EJ
Minn - As others have said, stuck in no mans land - too many vets
Dal - Still no real additions to the defense, which is like swiss cheese
Chi - Not bad enough for a top 5 finish, but not good enough to be above 10.

Reactions: A Real Barn Burner

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Something I think we need to consider is that we are going to have a ton of turnover in our forward core. O'Reilly, Perron, Bozak, Maroon, Thomas and maybe even Kyrou. That is 5 to 6 forwards that did not play here last year. While I think this is the best forward core we have had in the last decade plus a lot of these players have never played together before. There could be some "growing pains" while we find out who has chemistry with who and develop our lineup.

I still think that we end up in one of the top 3 spots but I could really see us having a slow start while we find chemistry and then a hot finish once it is found.

A Real Barn Burner

Apr 25, 2016
I think the Blues made a lot of solid moves this off season and with the progression of the youngsters, I think it will go like this:

StL - Most active offseason - will depend on Yeo and improved PP more then anything else
Wpg - Lost Stas with no replacement and that was a big loss as he was one of their better players down the stretch - and led the kids well. That is a very large unfilled void.
Nash - I like our forward depth better, and the D is pretty similar - plus all the Subban drama and they stood pat this offseason

It is very possible that the Central only send 3 teams to the playoffs as West made some solid additions.

Col - made a few underrated moves and improved goal-tending, I think they might surprise a bit, but still have issues on D beyond EJ
Minn - As others have said, stuck in no mans land - too many vets
Dal - Still no real additions to the defense, which is like swiss cheese
Chi - Not bad enough for a top 5 finish, but not good enough to be above 10.

Nice rundown. Other than Blues making the Playoffs I want Chicago to miss the Playoffs by 1 point so their pick isn’t to high lol.

The Note in MI

Bow to the pyramid
Aug 21, 2013
Muskegon, MI
Something I think we need to consider is that we are going to have a ton of turnover in our forward core. O'Reilly, Perron, Bozak, Maroon, Thomas and maybe even Kyrou. That is 5 to 6 forwards that did not play here last year. While I think this is the best forward core we have had in the last decade plus a lot of these players have never played together before. There could be some "growing pains" while we find out who has chemistry with who and develop our lineup.

I still think that we end up in one of the top 3 spots but I could really see us having a slow start while we find chemistry and then a hot finish once it is found.
My hope is that the talent overcomes the growing pains.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013

I agree with this, and I think until he proves otherwise, you kinda just have to assume Allen will be streaky, even by goalie standards. If he plays consistently well, or if Thomas and/or Kyrou play dynamically year one, then we have a shot to be at the top.

I think objectively, though, 3rd is the right place to project over the course of a long season. Even at that, I’m thinking the Blues best game could very well be at or better than anyone’s best game.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
  1. Nashville. I think they have something to prove.
  2. Winnipeg. Losing Stastny hurts, but still a powerhouse. Look out if Hellebuyck lives up to his contract.
  3. St. Louis. Made the most improvements, but that is a lot of new faces. I wouldn't be surprised by a sluggish, confused start while players get used to each other and lines are juggled. Could cost a few points in the competitive Central. Aaaand ... there's Allen.
  4. Colorado. Improved and pumped after last seasons emotional finish. Still not good enough, yet.
  5. Dallas. Not with that defense and goaltending.
  6. Chicago. Bad, but not as bad as some Blues fans think, (Or rather, want :)).
  7. Minnesota. Stood pat, and have a whole lot of mediocrity.

Last edited:
Reactions: Saint Loser

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I think it'll end up looking something like this.

1. Winnipeg - Lost Stastny, but too much young talent and Hellebuyck looks to have figured it out.
2. St. Louis - Improved a lot and now have the scoring punch to survive some of Jake's bad games
3. Nashville - Down turn of Rinne is going to have an effect. Defense is still arguably #1 in NHL, but their forward core is now behind St. Louis and Winnipeg
4. Dallas - New coach with an offensive uptempo game. Bishop will have to step it up a bit and their defense will need to improve, but they have some firepower up front.
5. Colorado - MacKinnon stepped into god-mode territory last season. I think he'll come close to repeating.

6. Minnesota - I don't know. I just think they're due for a hard right turn down. They'll have a season similar to St. Louis last year.

7. Chicago - Unless they get Panarin back and Crawford plays all season, they're toast. Cam Ward is a shell, Seabrook is still there, and Kunitz is nothing to write home about.

Reactions: HighNote

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I feel like the Blues could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th in the division solely due to Allen. Far too much volatility in his play and it could sink our team if he continues to shit the bed.

Evocable Manager

Apr 20, 2016
St. Louis
I feel like the Blues could finish anywhere from 1st to 5th in the division solely due to Allen. Far too much volatility in his play and it could sink our team if he continues to **** the bed.
And to add on, I do not like Yeo as a head coach. His offensive strategy doesn't have a good track record and he doesn't use his players as well as you'd hope, his PP's are the most brutal thing I've ever seen from a pro hockey team.

Coaching and goaltending need to see significant improvement.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011

I'm not too worried about that because I think it's important to remember that chemistry can happen in many different ways. Stastny and Tarasenko were here for 4 years together and never really developed much chemistry.

Meanwhile, Schenn and Schwartz clicked on their very first shift and never looked back.

Same with Vegas - a group of all new guys somehow connected perfectly.

So yeah, it'll definitely be interesting to see who gels with who and we need to give this group time but I don't necessarily think tenure has all that much to do with it. There's other factors.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
And to add on, I do not like Yeo as a head coach. His offensive strategy doesn't have a good track record and he doesn't use his players as well as you'd hope, his PP's are the most brutal thing I've ever seen from a pro hockey team.

Coaching and goaltending need to see significant improvement.

I am not basing or judging Yeo based on last year. That line up stunk. It I do have concerns about the PP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad