Options for Undrafted Minor Midgets

GloryDays

Feb 15, 2019
For the hundreds/thousands of kids that go undrafted by OHL teams, I'm curious to hear people's opinions of the various options available to them. Is midget or junior c a better alternative? Ice time, potential for development, additional views/attention I guess are all things to consider...

I'd be especially interested to hear from parents, players that have been through it as well as any coaches, scouts, etc. that may be out there.

OHLFan90

Dec 24, 2013
Ontario
For the hundreds/thousands of kids that go undrafted by OHL teams, I'm curious to hear people's opinions of the various options available to them. Is midget or junior c a better alternative? Ice time, potential for development, additional views/attention I guess are all things to consider...

I'd be especially interested to hear from parents, players that have been through it as well as any coaches, scouts, etc. that may be out there.

If they head back and play midget, they remain eligible for the u18 draft. To me, that sounds like a better opinion.

Junior C, B and A are all fine options but they will all be there after their last go around in midget. Plus it depends what the player wants. If he wants to play University, go head and play in the GOJHL or OJHL or even up in the CC in Ottawa area.

ceg195

Nov 6, 2012
Players should play the highest level they are able to play and develop with adequate ice time.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Limited options (# of rookie cards) for JrB and less in JrC for 16yr olds.
Try n get a camp invite to a local OHL club for feedback after first day or two.
Biggest thing IMO is coaching staff. Who will help the kid develop most regardless of level? Lots of salesman out there thou so do your homework.
If its a college route they eventually wanna take.... Id look seriously at 1 yr of major midget to ensure a better chance of PT then look at jr options (jr B or jr A-(not OHL obviously if looking college).
So many kids the last couple years have done well starting in maj midget.

But every situation is different. Kids get get buried in lower jr leagues as rookies. Its a small community. The svouts/ advisors/recruiters will know of the kid if he has potential regardless of where they play.

Jockularity

Jan 17, 2019
Guelph didn't even have a major midget team this year which can make decisions more interesting.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
depends on where you live and what options are available there. if you’re willing to move and billet somewhere else, that helps.

some guys are able to get on a junior B team, which if you can get adequate ice time is your best bet. besides that, there are some options that all have pros and cons.

major midget is probably the most common one. it is made up of draft year + 1 and 2 guys (mostly +1s).
pros- level competition, probably more ice time, u18 draft
cons- not getting experience playing with/against older and smarter players

junior c gives players the junior hockey experience, being made up of ages 16-21
pros- play against older players, can get decent playing time if youre good enough
cons- most teams practice once a week, no u18 draft

the cchl route is the lesser talked about one, at least where i’m from in southwestern ontario. i don’t have as much knowledge on this one, but i believe it has a 2-tier system (CCHL2, CCHL)
pros- junior hockey aged players (16-21) and you get to play with guys of your skill level
cons- lesser known route, mostly only taken up by Ottawa area players

Reactions: aresknights

listro

Dec 12, 2018
Guelph didn't even have a major midget team this year which can make decisions more interesting.

Majority of the team are playing for the Waterloo Wolves Midget AAA team. Couple have gone to Elmira with the Sugar Kings, some are yet to be found.

depends on where you live and what options are available there. if you’re willing to move and billet somewhere else, that helps.

some guys are able to get on a junior B team, which if you can get adequate ice time is your best bet. besides that, there are some options that all have pros and cons.

major midget is probably the most common one. it is made up of draft year + 1 and 2 guys (mostly +1s).
pros- level competition, probably more ice time, u18 draft
cons- not getting experience playing with/against older and smarter players

junior c gives players the junior hockey experience, being made up of ages 16-21
pros- play against older players, can get decent playing time if youre good enough
cons- most teams practice once a week, no u18 draft

the cchl route is the lesser talked about one, at least where i’m from in southwestern ontario. i don’t have as much knowledge on this one, but i believe it has a 2-tier system (CCHL2, CCHL)
pros- junior hockey aged players (16-21) and you get to play with guys of your skill level
cons- lesser known route, mostly only taken up by Ottawa area players

It's important to know that it's not just up to the player to move and 'billet' somewhere. Even a Jr A team is going chose who they billet carefully. The player is going to have to be good enough to invest in like that.

You'll notice a majority of a Junior teams players are usually within an hours drive. Most teams will only billet a couple players (it's expensive)

Otherwise, if a player goes undrafted (or unlisted by any MJr or Jr team) then Midget hockey is likely the only other road to take. The U18 draft simply makes it easier to swallow.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Limited options (# of rookie cards) for JrB and less in JrC for 16yr olds.
Try n get a camp invite to a local OHL club for feedback after first day or two.
I thought undrafted 16 year olds were ineligible for OHL camp. Thought they had to go through 2 drafts first?

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I thought undrafted 16 year olds were ineligible for OHL camp. Thought they had to go through 2 drafts first?

Not sure of the rules since Maj midget draft implemented. Im sure if you call a front office of ohl team they will guide you on options.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Rangers signed Yantsis before he went into the major midget draft. Diamond in the rough.
Rangers signed Yantsis in January 2017, He is a 1999 birthyear and went through undrafted in both a minor midget draft in 2015, and a major midget draft in 2016.

Definitely a diamond in the rough.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
Not sure of the rules since Maj midget draft implemented. Im sure if you call a front office of ohl team they will guide you on options.

I do believe that rules still in place.

Majority of the team are playing for the Waterloo Wolves Midget AAA team. Couple have gone to Elmira with the Sugar Kings, some are yet to be found.

It's important to know that it's not just up to the player to move and 'billet' somewhere. Even a Jr A team is going chose who they billet carefully. The player is going to have to be good enough to invest in like that.

You'll notice a majority of a Junior teams players are usually within an hours drive. Most teams will only billet a couple players (it's expensive)

Otherwise, if a player goes undrafted (or unlisted by any MJr or Jr team) then Midget hockey is likely the only other road to take. The U18 draft simply makes it easier to swallow.

I know with some teams, i’ll use the London Nationals (jr. b) for example, will only use their year 1/year 2 cards on local players. i’ve heard of the Knights having to pay teams in the 5-digits a player to have their draft picks go to St. Thomas/Strathroy/Komoka etc. (3 this year turned down by the Nationals).

all of the older players are either local or UWO/Fanshawe students from out of town who either get housing through school or room together with some other guys on the team

billet free

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
I do believe that rules still in place.

I know with some teams, i’ll use the London Nationals (jr. b) for example, will only use their year 1/year 2 cards on local players. i’ve heard of the Knights having to pay teams in the 5-digits a player to have their draft picks go to St. Thomas/Strathroy/Komoka etc. (3 this year turned down by the Nationals).

all of the older players are either local or UWO/Fanshawe students from out of town who either get housing through school or room together with some other guys on the team

billet free

True enough

Only so many cards avail per year for "true rookies" so its tough. 1 for jrC and 2 or 3 for jrB.
Kooy got caught in a numbers game due to being at Knights camp longer than expected and had to go Midget route n practice with Knights due to lack of cards.

Im sure London holds some clout with local B teams (wether in relationships or cash lol) to place kids they are interested in on local teams so they can practice almost daily in London. But these arrangements need to be done early and really relate to drafted kids. Wether they have a legit shot at the OHL or not.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Rangers signed Yantsis in January 2017, He is a 1999 birthyear and went through undrafted in both a minor midget draft in 2015, and a major midget draft in 2016.

Definitely a diamond in the rough.
FYI Yantsis was suppose to be illegible for the Under 18 draft but the Rangers stepped up and signed him a head of the draft. His parents sat behind us and said the league tried to keep them from signing him before the draft but could really do nothing to prevent it.

MatthewsMoustache

Jul 2, 2018
True enough

Only so many cards avail per year for "true rookies" so its tough. 1 for jrC and 2 or 3 for jrB.
Kooy got caught in a numbers game due to being at Knights camp longer than expected and had to go Midget route n practice with Knights due to lack of cards.

Im sure London holds some clout with local B teams (wether in relationships or cash lol) to place kids they are interested in on local teams so they can practice almost daily in London. But these arrangements need to be done early and really relate to drafted kids. Wether they have a legit shot at the OHL or not.

that’s where this year’s decisions threw me off (at the time). their 2018 10th and 12th round picks Dario Beljo and Chase Strychaluk were both sent to Komoka which I thought was weird. low and behold they finish the season 4th and 5th on the team in scoring, 1 point away from each other totalling for 71 points between them. can’t see why the Nationals wouldn’t take even 1 of those guys. in that case you’d think the Knights would billet them. who knows

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
FYI Yantsis was suppose to be illegible for the Under 18 draft but the Rangers stepped up and signed him a head of the draft. His parents sat behind us and said the league tried to keep them from signing him before the draft but could really do nothing to prevent it.

Yeah I heard that too. Apparently, the OHL wanted Yantsis included in that draft so that they could point to him as being a product of that draft in order to legitimize it.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

that’s where this year’s decisions threw me off (at the time). their 2018 10th and 12th round picks Dario Beljo and Chase Strychaluk were both sent to Komoka which I thought was weird. low and behold they finish the season 4th and 5th on the team in scoring, 1 point away from each other totalling for 71 points between them. can’t see why the Nationals wouldn’t take even 1 of those guys. in that case you’d think the Knights would billet them. who knows

Look at who the Nats used as 16 yr olds.
Look at London as a perennial contender where 16 yr olds rarely get much PT.
Look at Komoka who is always looking to fill a roster with young kids that sometimes get moved year 3 or 4.
Those 2 Kings may have had good years in Komoka but would not have come close to putting up those #s in London.
Lots more than the above goes into these decisions as well.

At least the Nats monopoly is done with as far as local kids go. Too many got held up with Nats wanting cash for their release to go elsewhere even if they werent in Nats plans. Its opened up now for local kids and for the better.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Yeah I heard that too. Apparently, the OHL wanted Yantsis included in that draft so that they could point to him as being a product of that draft in order to legitimize it.
His parents told us exactly what happened. They sat behind us when he played his first game. Great people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->