Options after this season?

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
hank will prob stay.. girardi and callahan will likely stay..

brad will be bought out, unless the cap goes up substantially..

i can see glen offering thorton and marleau a 2yr deal each to play with nash..

they don't want long term deals bc of age, nash is good friends with thorton.. plus it helps stepan learn from one of the best and put in a lower pressure role..

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
This team is never going to do a full rebuild as long as Dolan owns them. We can fantasize about what one might look like, but its not going to happen.

Also, to talk about rebuilding now and to have firm opinions on who should go based on a handful is games is the same knee-jerk strategy Sather uses. You don't make decisions like that based on a half dozen games.

Radek27

May 19, 2004
NJ
Goes- Lundqvist, Girardi, Stralman, Del Zaster, Pyatt, Asham, D Moore, Boyle, Richards, Pouliot, MZA, Brassard, Dorsett, maybe Nash.

Stays- McDonagh, Staal, Callahan, Stepan

Just my thoughts. Still not yet in full panic mode.

Yeah because that is such a rational thought. Lets get rid of the best goalie in the league, get off the ledge son.

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Unfortunately, last year was the year players should have been traded away. The problem is that everyone's contract is expiring, and that, plus everyone's putrid play, will minimize any returns the Rangers would get if the season goes down the crapper and Sather decides to have a fire sale.

It would be like 2003-2004 all over again, when the Rangers unloaded a bunch of guys with expiring contracts and ended up with nothing to show for it but a bunch of second and third round picks and mid-level prospects.

Also, just remember that the same brain trust that constructed this team would be selecting the players coming back and choosing with the extra draft picks.

Last edited:

beef 4 lunch

Jan 24, 2011
Well, in my opinion, the Rangers need a first and second line left-winger, and a number one center.

I would think that the Richards buyout money goes to a true $6-$7 million guy, and a defenseman gets traded for second line left-winger.

The Lundqvist question is a tricky one. I'm curious, do starting goaltenders ever get traded at the deadline as a rental?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Well, in my opinion, the Rangers need a first and second line left-winger, and a number one center.

I would think that the Richards buyout money goes to a true $6-$7 million guy, and a defenseman gets traded for second line left-winger.

The Lundqvist question is a tricky one. I'm curious, do starting goaltenders ever get traded at the deadline as a rental?

I don't care how the Rangers get their true 6-7 mil guy, but we've been saying this for decades. When is someone actually going to get us that horse?

I'm with you, and I've been saying it for a long time. One of Girardi/Del Zotto, or both, should be shopped for a young forward talent. EDM Eberle for Girardi?

Lundqvist is a luxury, not a necessity. If he can get us that piece at forward we need or PMD, go for it.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
I don't care how the Rangers get their true 6-7 mil guy, but we've been saying this for decades. When is someone actually going to get us that horse?

I'm with you, and I've been saying it for a long time. One of Girardi/Del Zotto, or both, should be shopped for a young forward talent. EDM Eberle for Girardi?

Lundqvist is a luxury, not a necessity. If he can get us that piece at forward we need or PMD, go for it.

If we're talking to Edmonton I want Yakupov or Hall. Hall is out of the question, so Yakupov and him almost exclusively. Eberle is overrated and his contract is gross.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
My ultimate dream would be for us to trade one of our defensemen and a prospect for Yakupov. Suck badly enough this year to draft Ekblad. Instant rebuild. I know it will never happen but fantasy is much better than reality at this point.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Agree completely. If Edm wants one of our defensemen, Yakupov is the price.

They will not pay Yak for MDZ + Girardi, let alone any combo not including McD, who is not going short of an uber-elite.

Move Girardi to hometown/boyhood favorite Toronto for Franson + 1st 2014. They likely pay the most for him, if we make him available NOW.

MDZ is another story, tougher to figure out who pays most for him.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
They will not pay Yak for MDZ + Girardi, let alone any combo not including McD, who is not going short of an uber-elite.

Move Girardi to hometown/boyhood favorite Toronto for Franson + 1st 2014. They likely pay the most for him, if we make him available NOW.

MDZ is another story, tougher to figure out who pays most for him.

I think I'd rather Gardiner

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Here's how you work towards fixing the team without blowing the whole thing up

Buy out Brad Richards
Agree. Pleased he has picked it up a bit so far, but I'm not overly impressed and he is nowhere near the $$. If he would void the contract on his own, voluntarily, for this year, for a similar buy-out, I would do it. [Of course, makes too much sense for league to allow this sort of thing; player gets to make new contract w/team where wanted, and Rangers would get instant cap relief. Ok, so we should have done this before (with the amnesty), we'll wait for that window when the amnesty is re-authorized.]

Lindberg, Kreider, and Miller are ready next year. Doesn't matter if someone in the organization disagrees, they're playing for the New York Rangers through their mistakes and youth.
If we get rid of our deadwood (Pyatt) and otherwise create space be repurposing some of our vets, we can create opportunities with significant NHL minutes for these guys NOW, today.

The AV system works, There is a proven track record it does.
But it requires speed. The other guys are not fast enough, but
Kreider -- Miller -- Cally speed kills line
Hagelin -- Lindberg -- Fast Swede line, also pretty fast
gets you most of the way there.

Pick up a cheap UFA that adds some top 6 talent, such as Linus Omark (you could prob get for league minimum or close to it)
No thanks, do not want.

Trade MDZ for a draft pick.
Would do trade MDZ for best return, but not give away.
May have to take a little less and package w/somebody but get a serious upgrade.

Use new cap space from Richards/MDZ trades for a guy like Steve Downie/Winnik.
No.

Dare I say it....sign Scott Gomez to a 1 yr/600k deal?
REALLY NO. you may not dare say that name.

Hagelin-Stepan-Nash
Omark-Brassard-Callahan
Miller-Lindberg-Kreider
Winnik-Gomez-Fast

McDonagh-Girardi
Staal-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath(hopefully)/whoever else

Nash -- Brassard -- Kristo
Kreider -- Miller -- Cally speed kills line
Hagelin -- Lindberg -- Fast Swede line, also pretty fast

These are 3, 4th line Moore at C. Then depends who is left over.
Expect most our our guys traded, want to see Hrivik, Yogan get a shot.
Asham looked good in camp, but not clear he can last the whole year.
Dorsett? gotta show me something.
Pouillot ditto
Boyle, ok for draw and flip to LW, but better to trade

Yes, I flipped Nash to make it easier for Kristo.

Stepan is not there. I think we should try for a super deal, something like Girardi for Leaf's 1st +, then get a stud RD from Preds (Seth Jones) or Buffalo (Ristolainen) for which we would have to pay Stepan + MDZ +.

McDonagh-Jones/Ristolainen
Staal-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->