News Article: Optional Skate should not be an option

Punxrocknyc19*

http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...nrik-lundqvist-on-the-ice-for-optional-skate/

so the Rangers get rewarded with an optional skate after 4 straight home losses and they dont play till sunday.. I love this country club team here in Rangers land... :help::shakehead:rant: unless Sather told the coach to tank for 1st overall. maybe Sather is realizing they need their own young drafted superstar on this team. last 5 teams that won had a young star they drafted.. maybe Sather finally got it.. or maybe not... he will end up picking another Jessiman if he got the 1st overall pick :rant:

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
http://snyrangersblog.com/2013-14/2...nrik-lundqvist-on-the-ice-for-optional-skate/

so the Rangers get rewarded with an optional skate after 4 straight home losses and they dont play till sunday.. I love this country club team here in Rangers land... :help::shakehead:rant: unless Sather told the coach to tank for 1st overall. maybe Sather is realizing they need their own young drafted superstar on this team. last 5 teams that won had a young star they drafted.. maybe Sather finally got it.. or maybe not... he will end up picking another Jessiman if he got the 1st overall pick :rant:

Not sure if this is true for this situation but I recall that the new CBA had some language about number of practices and off days between games etc so it may be a CBA thing vs. NYR management getting soft.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
Not sure if this is true for this situation but I recall that the new CBA had some language about number of practices and off days between games etc so it may be a CBA thing vs. NYR management getting soft.

Give NYRKindms $10,000 - we have a winner.

Punxrocknyc19*

i have heard about that too but have not seen any proof of this.. i can see why they might do this to limit injuries but how do you punish a team when they play like crap?? they should be forced to do what Herb Brooks did for team USA, maybe that would wake up this group of heartless bums. its a shame that they rather turn the other cheek instead of sticking up for each other... real teams back each other up. i guess this team is full of selfish non leaders... :cry:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I know for sure they have to have one off day per week and can't have practice after back to back games but I don't know how optionals factor in regarding the CBA.

KreiMeARiver*

If the CBA has language that says a crap team can't have a FULL practice after being pathetic to try to get better, I'm sorry but I have less respect for this sport.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
i have heard about that too but have not seen any proof of this..
(a) Clubs shall provide each Player with a monthly travel/practice schedule prior to each full month of the Regular Season indicating the days that have been designated as days off for each Player. Clubs shall endeavor to schedule no less than four (4) days off for Players per month (up to two of which may be scheduled on the road) during each full calendar month of the NHL Regular Season. A day off shall be a day off for all purposes, except that if a Club travels following the conclusion of a game, the next day may be considered a day off if the Club is scheduled to arrive at its destination city by no later than 2:00 a.m. local time. If a Club travels on the day following a game (i.e., stays at a hotel overnight and departs the following morning), such day may not be considered a day off. The parties recognize that events may unfold such that the monthly schedule may need to be altered or modified to adjust for unforeseen and compelling circumstances. League scheduled off-days or breaks (e.g., All-Star break, Holidays, Olympics) shall count as a day off for purposes of this subsection (a).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm sure they'll have a full practice tomorrow. It's fun to think that all their problems can be skated away (WORKED FOR KURT RUSSELL!), but they can't.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
I'm sure they'll have a full practice tomorrow. It's fun to think that all their problems can be skated away (WORKED FOR KURT RUSSELL!), but they can't.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

AGAIN.

:yo:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

An optional skate isn't going to make them "tank." Sather isn't going to tell AV to "tank." AV isn't going to "tank" his first season in NY after ~30 games.

Plenty of teams have had high picks and gone nowhere. There's more to it than drafting a good player. Those teams were incredible up and down. NYR aren't one first round pick away from being the Kings/Bruins/Hawks.

TheRightWay

May 16, 2012
That doesn't mean they get a free day off. So much of this team's problems are mental/tactical. I'm sure they're spending plenty of time in the video room going over mistakes. The guys just played 60 minutes of a physical, tolling sport. Some guys need time for their bodies to recover. Blame biology. Sorry, but this isn't Miracle. You're not going to turn this group into a bunch of winners through a bag skate. Real life doesn't work like movies.

This is just a typical reactionary thread. The team is playing like ****. We get it. They get it. You're just grasping at straws and looking for more **** to complain about.

SlingshotVv

arm-bar all the things
Sep 28, 2009
Colonia, NJ
i have heard about that too but have not seen any proof of this.. i can see why they might do this to limit injuries but how do you punish a team when they play like crap?? they should be forced to do what Herb Brooks did for team USA, maybe that would wake up this group of heartless bums. its a shame that they rather turn the other cheek instead of sticking up for each other... real teams back each other up. i guess this team is full of selfish non leaders... :cry:

I don't see how that works with this group anyway. Bag skating a team is great for getting the blood boiling of the heart and soul players to get fired up and start holding their teammates accountable. Look at this roster. Seriously, who's going to be that guy? Cally and Staal are injured, and aren't don't have the personalities for that anyway. Girardi, Nash, Pyatt, Richards? Not likely at all. What other vets do we even have? Asham knows he's anothing more than a spare part here. Stralman? Brassard? Seriously.

The only player on this roster that I can see as any voice of accountability in that lockerroom might be Boyle or Zucc. But Boyle hasn't contributed on the scoreboard in so long I doubt he's in any position to confront players. CK looks like a guy that has a chip on his shoulder sometimes. I can see him being a more vocal locker room guy.

You know when this type of stuff would've been addressed by a closed locker room? When Dubinsky and Prust were on this roster. I know this is becomming the most tired thing ever to hear, but i believe it to be true.

Dubi, Prust, AA, Cally, Staal, Girardi, MDZ, Hagelin, Stepan, CK, McIlrath, Lundqvist, Talbot, Zuccarello. If that was the current roster, it's a bunch of guys that came up the same way. Earned their dues in the organization in Hartford, spent time travelling back and forth as they tried to crack the line-up, and made their home debut's on Broadway. That's the kind of group you can bag skate, and get a serious reaction out of. Fill out with players like Boyle and Dorsett and you have a heart and soul line-up. Would Stepan, CK, Hags, and Zucc be more than making up for Nash's loss in points? I think with the rest of those guys around them they would.

This current roster is a bunch of heartless mercenaries. Nash, Pouliot, Pyatt, Richards, Asham, Brassard.

TL;DR - forget the bag skate. the less this players are on the ice, the better it is for the sport of hockey.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If the coaching staff make it an optional skate--then it's an optional skate.

I get that a lot of Rangers fans are angry with how the team is playing but turning everything into a punishment will not necessarily make the team play better. The whole nature of the team is dysfunctional at the moment. A lot of players being asked to play a system that doesn't play to their strengths and what they've use to for several years. IMO it's Sather's job to work out a fix at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad