Opposition strategies to beat the Isles

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
The current trend looks like other teams could only win when the Isles defense does a huge mistake for one of the multiple reasons. But even then they were able to come back time and time again. What I observed was that most teams try to overpower the Isles defense early and score as often as possible just to get their butts spanked in the later periods by Tavares & Co. That's what the Isles games make so fantastic to watch with all its speed throughout the game. If I'm correct then there would be little difference with higher skilled defenders. So how could we address the early game plan of the opposition the best way?

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The current trend looks like other teams could only win when the Isles defense does a huge mistake for one of the multiple reasons. But even then they were able to come back time and time again. What I observed was that most teams try to overpower the Isles defense early and score as often as possible just to get their butts spanked in the later periods by Tavares & Co. That's what the Isles games make so fantastic to watch with all its speed throughout the game. If I'm correct then there would be little difference with higher skilled defenders. So how could we address the early game plan of the opposition the best way?
Don't make those huge mistakes.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I thought this thread would be about how you would beat the Isles if you were on the other team, and my answer would be "wait until Cappy puts the fourth line out in a predictable and bad situation and send out your top line.

For example: every time their PP ends, last night when he put the fourth line out there with two minutes to go, every time he puts them out after a TV timeout...

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
The current play of this team makes me sick...because it took 2 months to get to this point. This will be another year they have one of the best records from January on, only to be screwed by their inability to play even halfway decent hockey in Novemeber

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander

pull the goalie at the beginning of the game to go down by two goals.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
The current play of this team makes me sick...because it took 2 months to get to this point. This will be another year they have one of the best records from January on, only to be screwed by their inability to play even halfway decent hockey in Novemeber
If their current play makes you sick then you must have been seriously ill back in November

.:sarcasm:

isles31

Poster Excellont
Feb 19, 2007
LI
If their current play makes you sick then you must have been seriously ill back in November

.:sarcasm:

lol well played, but i know you know what i meant...and i was violently ill and vowed not to watch until they won 2 in a row...that lasted about halfway through a pregame show though.

Gluttons for punishment, we are.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
FWIW… I believe the reason the Isles win or loose is one in the same.

They are a smaller team that cannot play a defensive shell system. Time and again other teams just overpower the Isles in their zone. This is compounded when the Isles try to sit back and protect leads. They end up flat-footed and easier to overpower.

This is an attacking team through and through. When they fall behind they are forced to go on the attack… this seems to alleviate pressure on the back end. It's kind of funny actually, basically it means the Isles are likely to late game collapses when they have a lead or late game comebacks when they are trailing.

Look at the Philly home and home as an example.

Hockey Overlord

Jan 10, 2014
FWIW… I believe the reason the Isles win or loose is one in the same.

They are a smaller team that cannot play a defensive shell system. Time and again other teams just overpower the Isles in their zone. This is compounded when the Isles try to sit back and protect leads. They end up flat-footed and easier to overpower.

This is an attacking team through and through. When they fall behind they are forced to go on the attack… this seems to alleviate pressure on the back end. It's kind of funny actually, basically it means the Isles are likely to late game collapses when they have a lead or late game comebacks when they are trailing.

Look at the Philly home and home as an example.

But once they come back they aren't prone to be overpowered anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad